Main Menu

Townhall Meetings

Started by IceNine, October 07, 2007, 05:38:19 PM

IceNine

Just had a little chat with the wing king last night.

Over the next year he is planning what he is calling "Townhall Meetings" throughout the wing.  His idea is that as many of the wing staff as he can get will go around a field questions, comments, complaints, provide feedback and get rid of the "I'm from the wing and I'm here to help" view that a lot of the members have of the staff right now.

Anyone else tried/experienced this?  Did it work?  Did it last? 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

What Wing are you in?

That would be...er...precarious, in a Large Wing.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 05:45:44 PM
What Wing are you in?

You have just pointed up my major objection to anonymous posters, Major Carrales.  Aside from the core value problem, without at least rudimentary profile information, it is impossible to evaluate what they have to say.

That aside, I think the idea of "Town Meetings" is a good one, even in a large wing.  As well as a centrally located wing headquarters.  With the Florida Wing headquarters in the suburbs of Miami, the poor people in Pensacola are 700 miles from the action.  Of course, that is not always a bad thing.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Eclipse

5th largest by population, more than 35 units.

6+ hour drive from stem to stern.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Skyray on October 07, 2007, 06:12:31 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 05:45:44 PM
What Wing are you in?

You have just pointed up my major objection to anonymous posters, Major Carrales.  Aside from the core value problem, without at least rudimentary profile information, it is impossible to evaluate what they have to say.

That aside, I think the idea of "Town Meetings" is a good one, even in a large wing.  As well as a centrally located wing headquarters.  With the Florida Wing headquarters in the suburbs of Miami, the poor people in Pensacola are 700 miles from the action.  Of course, that is not always a bad thing.

I concur with your statements on anonymous posters.

I think that Wing should have "functionaries" at the more local levels.  Not spies, but people to are in the trenches...like an "assistance staff officer" who lives "on the isolated frontier" to whom Squadron and Group Level folks can address their concerns to.

These functionaries would then serve as an Advisory element that could report on the "voice of the public."  I could see them as the facilitor of the TOWN HALL MEETING.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

My wing is working on exactly that idea. The wing king will be meeting with folks throughout the wing in three different locations this month.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KFreeman

The "Townhall Meetings" did happen in FLWG in '72 and '73 under the then Wing commander Col Robert Owen (RIP) as part of the initiation of the new Senior Training Level 1.

We travelled to a different Group every other weekend until the entire Wing had their Level 1 completed. It was a big undertaking for a large Wing but it was worth every effort.

I think more Floridians had met their Wing commander and staff then than ever before or since.

( Do you think that would qualify as a PD weekend?)

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Walkman

Regarding the distance issue-could something like this take place online? A Q&A conference call over Skype? A wing forum?