Main Menu

Aliens among us

Started by Dad2-4, September 29, 2007, 05:15:15 PM

Major Carrales

Let's keep this topic open, this is a major issue that we cannot sweep under the carpet.  What we can keep out of it is any "distracting" talk on politics, racism and the like (thatis what PM is for).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

The unit leadership where they have non-member members are bleeding heart liberal do-gooders who have a great deal in common with the cadets.  They strongly believe that the risks are counterbalanced by the benefits, and the whole smash is from a segment of society that doesn't routinely try to assure their future by suing someone with deep pockets.  In fact, try to imagine some member trying to sue the leaders of the Crips or the Bloods, and you have a pretty good handle on the chance of this squadron getting sued.  The squadron itself would rise up and smite them.

The main reason that some of them are non-members, believe it or not, is that they can't afford the dues.  Rather than exclude them, they are allowed to participate "off the books."  I was offered an opportunity to participate "off the books," but I have been too thoroughly indoctrinated with the middle class mentality.  I do teach an occasional class.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

NIN

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 30, 2007, 02:54:44 PM
Darin:

You are right, sort of.  Membership is restricted to citizens and those aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence (Tarjeta Verde--Green Card).

But...

A person admitted for TEMPORARY residence, i.e., student visas, CAN be accepted with a waiver from National and submitted through Wing and Region.

I just identified this issue as a finding on an inspection I did, and looked up the procedure.

But for those persons who are here illegally, sorry, their status cannot be waivered.

Kach

I'm familiar with that process.  The overall number of "non-resident aliens" in CAP is pretty small, and you have to jump thru some hoops (ie. region commander signoffs), so I sort of neglected to mention it. :)   

A former co-worker of mine is from New Zealand, I think, and he's in TX Wing last I heard.. James Elliott, a Royal Naval Reserve Midshipman from the UK, was a member of the Lebanon, NH squadron and went with us to Hawk Mtn in 2002.  (that elicited a number of serious "once-overs" from Hawk Mtn staffers in the wake of the "fake USAFR guy" that PA Wing suffered in the earlier part of this decade.  James was a member of CAP but *never* wore a CAP uniform, so he'd show up everywhere in DPMs ... That *always* got interesting commentary..)

But the concept is that these folks, like those admitted for permanent residence, are here with the full knowledge and consent of the US Government (ie on a visa, etc).

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: wingnut on September 30, 2007, 02:04:37 AM
I am a teacher/administrator in California (a 500 student Maximum security Juvenile Hall)
tell me about some of the problems with Gangs from Central America. The Cadet program is for the Young men and Women and maybe its time we consider inclusion, the Supreme Court has ruled that we "Will Not" exclude these "undocumented students" from any education programs. Who are we to deny them the opportunity to have the experience of being a CAP cadet, we receive funding from the US Government free uniforms, free Cadet rides, on and on.

I think this would be detremental to CAPs reputation and ability to perform its mission.

Parents have their children join CAP because it is a "safe" environment.  It is not a "trouble youth" organization and our Encampments aren't bootcamps to "fix" bad apples.  Youth as you've listed above (maximum security jeuvenile hall), may benefit from some of the things that CAP teaches, however, as a senior member, it is not a risk I want to take, and I don't want to have to explain to parents why their good kid looking for an AFA appointment isn't getting the training he signed up for because I have to handle problems from kids with assault records, or even why they are exposed to behaviors like that.  Do you/would you let your kids "hang out" with any of your students?  Why?

The illegal status of potential members would damage the relationship we have with the AF and government operations we do.  Those members would not be allowed to access military installations, perform CD missions, etc due to security concerns even though they may be perfectly nice and sweet.

As for the original question, people here illegally are aware of their status (hopefully) and are used to not being eligible for certain things, this is no different.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

You are on time and on target, Jimmy.

There is no "Right" to CAP membership.  The Supreme Cout's rulings pertaining to public schools has no bearing on us.

CAP's cadet program is for the best and the brightest.  Losers stay home.
Another former CAP officer