Question for the AD guys and gals about CAP

Started by hatentx, September 12, 2007, 03:59:27 AM

hatentx

Okay well i have some time to figure all of this out being that i am still deployed but i am am considering joining CAP after i return and take my vacation of doing nothing.  I am wondering though how flexible are your alls chain of commands with you voluntering with the CAP?  Are the understnading for the most part?  What about when SAR missions that come up during you duty day?  Just somethings that I am wondering as well.  What about you military experiance what does that prep you for while dealing with CAP and the carrer paths you choose?

hatentx

Aslo i was wonderin what can i gain from CAP that can translte into my military carrer?  Are there school or such that can help me out in my Army Carrer

Hawk200

Someone wrote me up for a Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for my CAP work. It was also a good EPR bullet.

Strangely, some of my scanner training has helped me in my training for Blackhawk crewchief. Some of the terminology carried over, helped me adapt a little quicker.

Don't know if it would even help, haven't tried, but having some of the AF officer courses may help you on the professional development side.

RiverAux

With CAP you train and do missions when you can -- not like the National Guard or Reseve in that fashion. 

lordmonar

I am a currently serving AD USAF MSgt.  CAP is helpful for your professional development as it gives you an opportunity for expanded leadership roles.  It allows you to network and see other ways of leading.

I have never really had a problem getting time off.

Plus it is just great working with cadets and doing missions for our community that don't require us getting shot at!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

I was an active duty enlisted guy and active in CAP for more than 4 years.  My chain of command didn't know I was involved in CAP and I didn't care whether or not if they did know.  Some fellow soldiers knew, but only because they saw my CAP BDUs and were curious.  We also had several former cadets in my platoon that considered joining but never did.

There is no doubt that my squad leader would have not let me go for any kind of mission for CAP.  He would have laughed in my face.  I went to a summer encampment for CAP but had to take leave to do so.  I asked for permissive TDY but got laughed at.

CAP helped me a lot in the Army, but only because I was a cadet for several years prior to joining the Army.  Everything from knowing the ins and outs of land nav to customs and courtesies.  I'm not quite sure how CAP can help you out when joining as a senior member other than the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM).  When I got to the Pentagon on special duty, I had an Air Force supervisor who put me in for the MOVSM.  The Army folks in the office thought it was a joke.  It wasn't until a CAP member who was also a CAP Lt Col sent a letter to my company commander that I got the award.

When you visit a CAP squadron, go in with an open mind.  CAP is an awesome organization but not so much in a military way unless you work with cadets.    You'll find people who will actually look down on your being in the Army or that you're enlisted.  Not saying it will happen, but it can and has to me.  Don't go in trying to be "hooah" or say "well in the Army, we do it this way", it'll just cause friction.

In short, CAP can help you military career and your military experience can benefit CAP.  Be careful though, there are some sensitive people in CAP who may think you're trying to play "Rambo" because you're motivated, have military bearing and are in shape.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on September 12, 2007, 10:56:24 AM
In short, CAP can help you military career and your military experience can benefit CAP.  Be careful though, there are some sensitive people in CAP who may think you're trying to play "Rambo" because you're motivated, have military bearing and are in shape.

Give it some time, eat enough donuts and BS with others instead of doing some kind of work, and you will be a "Large Senior Member" in no time.

I love it when I walk into a meeting or a mission and everyone is chowing down donuts cookies and what-not, then complain that they have to wear a corporate uniform. 

Back to topic, I kept my CAP membership current during 2001-2006 while I was deployed, transfered, PCS'eded and on multiple TDY assignments.  I was not at all very active, and did not promote at all during that time.  I moved around so much, I just kept my membership in Pennsylvania and did not move it to each state I went to.  As Kirt said, you can get the   MOVSM  but don't expect much more from the Military.  You will either have a top and CO that support volunteering, or don't.  I support it, and will make it a point to recruit my soldiers into CAP any chance I get.  My old Battery before I took a babysitting teaching job with ROTC had 34 CAP members.  The ribbon was just another perk for them.  Heck.....about once a month we would all get together and invite local CAP cadets down to the Post and do tours and let them participate in live fire exercises.  They loved firing the guns.  (I can't even get these Cadets (Future Officers) I have now to pass the APFT, or go with me to Fort Drum to see FA units in action).  Man......you can motivate a lot of people in CAP by bringing some "cool" traits and habits from the Army with you.  I wish you luck.
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Recall that AD USAF personnel can request up to 10 days per year, I believe, of PTDY to assist Civil Air Patrol activities.  There are stipulations, of course, and it's not my department (I'm not in the AF), but it is written in one of the AFI's and I have been on activities where AF personnel who were also CAP used that clause to get PTDY to come help out.

One of them, however, did get yanked back to work towards the end of an activity when they needed additional manning.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

^My wife got PTDY all the time for CAP activities- her supervisor was really good about it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Skyray

I worked for a federal judge who was a retired Navy Captain.  His policy on PTDY was as much as you need, as often as you need it.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Pylon

Quote from: Skyray on September 12, 2007, 08:17:46 PM
I worked for a federal judge who was a retired Navy Captain.  His policy on PTDY was as much as you need, as often as you need it.

If that were the case, I'd see about working full time for CAP and just stopping by my day job every other Friday to pick up the check.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Skyray

Actually, my day job was a lot of fun, too.  Another aspect was that I was an Operations Officer, and even though we are one of the busiest search and rescue locations in the country, we didn't have enough to keep me occupied full time.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SAR-EMT1

What were the basic requirments for the MOVSM?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Stonewall

You can probably find it online, but if I remember correctly, you can't just do something one time, it's got to be a continuous volunteerism.

CAP is a given, for me.  The other MOVSM came from multiple volunteer activities I did in DC with the Soldiers and Airman's home.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

I know Im kicking a horse that was beat several months ago but, Why doesnt the Air Force issue this medal to CAP members?  By that I mean, instead of something like the Service Ribbon.
I couldnt find anything online that should bar its issue.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on September 20, 2007, 08:48:03 PM
I couldnt find anything online that should bar its issue.

1. Description: A bronze medal, 1 3/8 inches in diameter bearing on the obverse, five annulets interlaced enfiled by a star and environed by a wreath of laurel. On the reverse is a sprig of oak between the inscription "OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE" at the top and "UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES" at the bottom.

2. Ribbon: The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and consists of the following stripes: 1/8 inch Bluebird 67117; 1/8 inch Goldenlight 67107; 3/16 inch Bluebird; 1/16 inch Green 67129; 5/32 inch Goldenlight; center 1/16 inch Green; 5/32 inch Goldenlight; 1/16 inch Green; 3/16 inch Bluebird; 1/8 inch Goldenlight; and 1/8 inch Bluebird.

3. Criteria: Awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, subsequent to 31 December 1992, performed outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained, direct and consequential nature. To be eligible, an individual's service must (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community; (2) be significant in nature and produce tangible results; (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense; and (4) be of a sustained and direct nature. While there is no specific time threshold to qualify for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM), approval authorities shall ensure the service to be honored merits the special recognition afforded by this medal. The MOVSM is intended to recognize exceptional community support over time and not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities.

4. Components: The following are authorized components of the MOVSM:

a. Medal (regular size): MIL-DTL-3943/160. NSN 8455-01-400-3295.

b. Medal (miniature size): MIL-DTL-3943/160. Available commercially.

c. Ribbon: MIL-DTL-11589/374. Available commercially.

d. Lapel Button: MIL-DTL-11484.

5. Background: a. The Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal was established by Executive Order 12830, dated 9 January 1993. A proposed design, prepared by The Institute of Heraldry, was submitted to the Office of the Secretary of Defense on 12 April 1993. The design was approved by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Manpower and Personnel Policy on 15 Jun 1993.

b. The interlaced annulets emphasize the interaction of the military services with the civilian community and symbolize continuity and cooperation. The star commemorates outstanding service; the wreath of laurel denotes honor and achievement. Oak is symbolic of strength and potential. Medium blue is the color traditionally associated with the Department of Defense. Gold is for excellence and green alludes to the nurturing of life and growth.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dragoon

If you think about it, the MOVSM is rewarding military guys and gals who volunteer extra time to support their community.  In our case for being in CAP

CAP already recognizes all its members for being in CAP.  We get a uniform and a membership ribbon.