What would you like to see done for Civil Air Patrol uniforms?

Started by Hawk200, October 13, 2018, 09:48:58 PM

CAPCom

Quote from: Fubar on October 20, 2018, 07:03:04 PM
It's not a CAP term (at least it doesn't exist in any of our documentation), so you may want to consider using CAP terminology when speaking to a CAP audience.

I like using "cover", thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood you, I thought you were suggesting you simply wanted to wear the flight cap currently worn with the USAF-style uniform with the aviator shirt uniform. That we can't do, but I suppose in theory a flight cap of a different color with different markings would be allowed.

Yes, you misunderstood.  I was talking about the style, not the same item.  It would be nice if that type of cover were allowed as part of the aviator shirt uniform.

Just for completeness, headgear is authorized for the aviator shirt uniform

Yes, I'm aware of what 39-1 says in regard to headgear with the aviator shirt uniform.  A ball cap looks crappy and unprofessional with a dressier uniform.  Everyone wears ball caps today.  Wearing a flight cap would set us apart and have a dressier, more professional look.

Senior members can't wear flight caps? When did that happen?

There's no flight cap available for senior members unless you are wearing the USAF uniform.

CFToaster

Quote from: foo on October 20, 2018, 09:30:51 PM
For corporate uniforms that currently allow the Black Fleece, also allow CAP rank tabs to be worn on any commercially available black ECWCS parka.

Any uniform combination for which the Black Fleece is authorized, so are, "Appropriate civilian outergarments." Your Black ECWCS parka is already in regs, mate!

Fubar

Quote from: SCoonts on October 21, 2018, 03:28:40 AMWearing a flight cap would set us apart and have a dressier, more professional look.

Well it would certainly set us apart. I doubt the USAF will ever sign off on it though, the whole point of the corporate uniform is for it to not look like the USAF style uniforms. We can't just make our own corporate uniform that "borrows" a number of USAF and military designs and declare it good. We tried that about 10 years ago and it caused.... issues.

I agree ball caps are not great for dressier uniforms, I'm not sure what would be appropriate with the blazer. As a society, we don't seem to be into formal headgear anymore. A nice fedora?  Otherwise plenty of police, fire, and ems organizations wear ball caps with their uniforms and nobody seems to accuse them of being unprofessional. But they tend to be more worried about function than CAP does.

Luis R. Ramos

How about a Stetson?

Many Sheriff deputies and state police wear one, and they look distinguished!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Worked for Kilgore....

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 22, 2018, 07:30:33 PM
How about a Stetson?

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

How about a Stetson?

Do you have any idea at all how much a Stetson costs?  Hint, they're not cheap!

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah.

El Presidente would make us look really, really distinguished!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

CAPed Crusader

Also, me and my friends in CAP agree with this, we need Velcro name tapes, we hate sewing them on. Often times the thread will undo as well, so once again, Velcro.

Eclipse

Quote from: francisderosa16 on October 22, 2018, 10:04:35 PM
Also, me and my friends in CAP agree with this, we need Velcro name tapes, we hate sewing them on. Often times the thread will undo as well, so once again, Velcro.

It's already been pointed out that using velcro for nametapes actually doubles the amount of sewing you have to do.

If your thread is coming undone, learn how to sew better or have it done by the nice lady on the corner.

And seriously, how often do you and your CAP friends actually have to change your nametapes?  The average cadet
has one set of field uniforms, and in many cases leave the organization before they outgrow the uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPed Crusader

We re-sew them a lot, we have problems with the name tapes staying on. They just are thick material. The thread breaks randomly. So, I tried stronger thread, AND IT BROKE MORE???? [BTW too hard for my sewing machine and my needles brake every time we do it with our hands.]

Eclipse

Quote from: francisderosa16 on October 22, 2018, 10:17:31 PM
We re-sew them a lot, we have problems with the name tapes staying on. They just are thick material. The thread breaks randomly. So, I tried stronger thread, AND IT BROKE MORE???? [BTW too hard for my sewing machine and my needles brake every time we do it with our hands.]

CAP nametapes, especially the cloth ones (vs. the olde school webbed ones), should not be breaking needles.
Take this from someone who has essentially become the tailor for anyone who is willing to come to my house.

I can assure you sewing the nametape onto the velcro is >not< easier (in fact it's considerably more difficult),
and if your tapes won't stay on now, the first time you would pull a tape off, you're likely to just pull it off the velcro.

You need to adjust your machine, have it serviced, or practice more, and if they are coming undone, either your stitch
is too wide, or there's something else wrong with your technique.  It's sounds like your thread tension might be too high,
or the bobbin case is broken.

There's no reason you should be breaking needles.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Second that. I have been sewing stuff on uniforms since I was 15, and it's all mostly a matter of technique. Breaking needles is frequently caused by hurrying the material through the machine. Let the machine do the work.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

To add to this, I had a cadet actually do this once because he thought he was told it was ok by a high-ranking senior member.

I can tell you, having seen it in person, it looks like trash on BDUs, provable more so on ABUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo

Quote from: CFToaster on October 22, 2018, 03:30:36 PM
For corporate uniforms that currently allow the Black Fleece, also allow CAP rank tabs to be worn on any commercially available black ECWCS parka.

Any uniform combination for which the Black Fleece is authorized, so are, "Appropriate civilian outergarments." Your Black ECWCS parka is already in regs, mate!

You missed the point: I want to wear CAP rank on my black ECWCS parka, which is not currently authorized.

Stonewall

Quote from: foo on October 23, 2018, 12:59:42 AM
Quote from: CFToaster on October 22, 2018, 03:30:36 PM

You missed the point: I want to wear CAP rank on my black ECWCS parka, which is not currently authorized.

Didn't stop a couple people from doing it this past weekend. First time I had seen it and thought maybe it was now allowed and I missed the memo.
Serving since 1987.

Fubar

Quote from: Stonewall on October 23, 2018, 01:37:56 AMDidn't stop a couple people from doing it this past weekend. First time I had seen it and thought maybe it was now allowed and I missed the memo.

If ya'll (not Stonewall) are gonna make me purchase a uniform I'll never wear, then ya'll (not Stonewall) are gonna have to wear your uniforms within the rules.

Otherwise that just ain't fair.

foo

Quote from: Fubar on October 23, 2018, 07:21:49 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 23, 2018, 01:37:56 AMDidn't stop a couple people from doing it this past weekend. First time I had seen it and thought maybe it was now allowed and I missed the memo.

If ya'll (not Stonewall) are gonna make me purchase a uniform I'll never wear, then ya'll (not Stonewall) are gonna have to wear your uniforms within the rules.

Otherwise that just ain't fair.

If only that were a compelling argument for folks unconcerned with following rules, or for commanders unwilling to enforce them...

supertigerCH

Did this thread get locked already? 

I can't see anything that says it's locked... but I can't make edits to any of my previous posts.

(then again, a new/second thread on this same topic has already been opened... so maybe that's why?  still not sure why i can't edit here though...)

Eclipse

It's not locked.

After a certain period of time you can't modify a post.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPLTC

How about a Stetson?

And riding boots?
And spurs?
Now you're speaking my language.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis