Squadron Website Options

Started by RiChArD7032, April 18, 2018, 09:24:52 PM

RiChArD7032

Afternoon.  I tried searching this topic and only found very outdated posts, so I wanted to put the question out there once again and get some feedback from you all. 

What are you using as a website service?  What are the pro's and con's for your provider?  What does it cost you?  How user friendly is the provider?

I don't want to use Fake-book as a method of advertising our Squadron or means of communicating with the Cadets and Parents.  I would like to find some inexpensive ways to have a nice looking, well functioning website without costing too much, if any money at all. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul Creed III

First step would be to speak to your Wing PAO as your Wing *may* be working on implementing the CAP-provided WordPress hosting and template.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/public-affairs-about/public-affairs/

That said, WordPress is popular as is Google Sites.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

Google Sites tied to an @WWW.cap.gov account is all anyone should be using for CAP.

It's free, as secure as it needs to be, cover everything that should be in a unit website, and
has the advantage of not going *poof* when "Jack decides he doesn't want to play CAP anymore."

It also requires essentially zero training to setup or change, is easy to share, and
will interface with the other services your unit should already be using in the GSuite.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2018, 11:08:42 PM

...  has the advantage of not going *poof* when "Jack decides he doesn't want to play CAP anymore."

I guess thats me.  LOL

I built and maintain ours for free, using the CAP Wordpress template with modifications. I host it for free on my dedicated servers along with a few hundred other websites I host.

NO CONNECTIONS or LINKS to eServices or WMIRS, etc.  So no opsec issues. Its simply a marketing brochure type site. No internal uses at all. Its for recruiting. Averages about 1000 visits a month, which I think is good for our size and considering its all outsiders looking in.

But yes, its a Wordpress website, that can be easily exported and moved elsewhere if I were to croak. If I quit CAP, I'd still let the Squadron run the website on my server for free. 
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RiChArD7032

Google Sites tied to an @WWW.cap.gov account is all anyone should be using for CAP.

It's free, as secure as it needs to be, cover everything that should be in a unit website, and
has the advantage of not going *poof* when "Jack decides he doesn't want to play CAP anymore."

It also requires essentially zero training to setup or change, is easy to share, and
will interface with the other services your unit should already be using in the GSuite.

I'm looking online, but don't see how to do what you're suggesting.  Could you provide some additional help?

THRAWN

Contact the wing. DE has a Google site and has for quite a while....http://www.dewg.cap.gov/wing-staff-directorates/AT

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on April 19, 2018, 07:28:55 PM

I'm looking online, but don't see how to do what you're suggesting.  Could you provide some additional help?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023