Main Menu

Pilot Licencse

Started by A1Steaksauce, June 22, 2007, 11:34:48 PM

A1Steaksauce

I've always wanted to get my private pilot licencse and was wondering if there is a way I can get lessons through CAP.

CAP428

Lots of squadrons have scholarships available for flight school to get you through your solo.  Ask through your chain of command if your squadron has such a program.

Also, there is of course the Flight Academy as a part of the NCSA (National Cadet Special Activities).  That is also designed to get you through your solo flight.

A1Steaksauce

OK, thanks. I was also wondering if CAP pilots can give you lessons instead of going through the Flight Academy, or a private operation.

Mustang

If your wing has any Cessna 172s, and you can find a CAP instructor willing to take you on, then yes, you can do your private pilot training through CAP.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

A1Steaksauce

Alright thanks, thats what I was looking for. I'm only 15 though so I might have to wait a while.

bosshawk

If I recall correctly, you need to be 16 to solo and 17 to get your private license.

That gives you plenty of time.

Check CAP Reg 60-1 as to the details about a cadet taking flight training.  Then latch onto a CAP Check Pilot to start flying.

Good luck!!!!
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

IceNine

Its all about national flight encampment, or IL wings Johnson flight encampment (both are held at Coles county airport in IL and are back to back) the first time you will be able to pre-solo, second time you have the opportunity to solo.  It is kinda costly right up front (650 or so) but I just got back from my local FBO the estimated price for Private license in a 152, with the minimum of 40 hours flight time was over 6 kilobucks.  So if you can solo for 1300, and then find an instructor to finish up with you are golden and you will get much cheaper rates.

Take advantage of all of these opportunities while you are a cadet, because once you go to the dark side you are no longer eligible for primary flight instruction through CAP  (ie No private license training)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

flyguy06

You dont need to go to the National Flight Academy. Just hook up with a CAP CFI and start taking lessons. I am working on my CFI license right now and whay I am done, I plan to teach the cadets inmy squadron how to fly.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 23, 2007, 03:36:56 AM
Take advantage of all of these opportunities while you are a cadet, because once you go to the dark side you are no longer eligible for primary flight instruction through CAP  (ie No private license training)
Dont wait too long with this, I waited until I was 20, thinking I'd have plenty of time (and finances got in the way but thats another story), but life got in the way, and here I am with 28hrs and no way to continue through CAP
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SJFedor

Quote from: Mustang on June 23, 2007, 01:39:18 AM
If your wing has any Cessna 172s, and you can find a CAP instructor willing to take you on, then yes, you can do your private pilot training through CAP.

Why only a 172? National re-edited 60-1 so that cadets may do primary training in high performance (182) aircraft.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible, and I'm living proof of it. I earned both my private and instrument in CAP as a cadet. NFA's are ok, but only get you to maybe the solo point, and unless the instructor that solos you there is going to continue to work with you, you'll end up having to spend more money to be "re-solo'ed" by whatever flight school or instructor you link up with.

Find a CAP unit near you with an air ops program, senior units work well, composite units are ok too. Express an interest in flying and air operations, and be willing to be flexible. Make yourself helpful: volunteer to clean the aircraft, help out with the unit (if you're not already a part of it, if you are, help out more!), make yourself noticed in a good light. A lot of times, the older instructors (retirees) are more then willing to help out a young, motivated cadet.

Check with your wing via chain of command to see if there are any pre-requisites or signatures you need prior to starting the training. Some wings require the wing/cc's approval, and that can, but not always, take a bit of time.

And the best thing you can do is be persistant, but not annyoing. I got my start by getting to know the CFI's in my squadron, helping them out with whatever I could, and dropping subtle hints that I one day want to learn to fly. I started doing some "lessons" by riding along on C-9 maintenance flights where the CFI was nice enough to let me sit left seat and give me some stick time and dual. Even though it's not true flight training, since we were just going from A to B, and couldn't get all the maneuvers done without the Wing DO wondering why it took 1.5 hours to do a 0.7 hour trip, it's experience, and every bit helps.

I'd be glad to help you out with this further if you want more insight, just PM me, but as long as you're motivated and dedicated, you can get there, and there's someone in CAP that will be willing to help you.

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 23, 2007, 09:35:07 PM
You dont need to go to the National Flight Academy. Just hook up with a CAP CFI and start taking lessons. I am working on my CFI license right now and whay I am done, I plan to teach the cadets inmy squadron how to fly.

I share your same sentiment. As soon as I can get my commercial and CFI done, I plan to instruct as many cadets as my life (and girlfriend) will allow me to. CAP gave me a lot, and I want to pay some of it forward.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)