Aircraft Rental in South Carolina

Started by audiododd, September 23, 2017, 09:04:31 AM

audiododd

Background - I am planning on going back home to SC in January for my dad's 90th birthday.  I'd love to rent a plane and take him for a flight (he was a pilot for about 60 years before his health made him quit).  I've flown with him a lot over the years, but he's never flown with me since I've gotten my license. 

Does anyone know a good place to rent an airplane in the upstate SC area (preferably Anderson or Greenville) that doesn't have an overly complex checkout policy.  I have proficiency in primarily 172s and Archers (round dial, G1000, and Avidyne Entegra) and have a Hi-Performance endorsement.

Thanks,

Dodd
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

NIN

Assuming you're a CAP pilot, last I knew a CAPF 5 checkout can serve as an Open Airplane Universal Pilot Checkout, obviating the need for local checkout by an FBO's instructor.

Sadly, Open Airplane doesn't have a participating FBO in that area yet (only Beaufort, so far), but Covington, GA & Concord, NC aren't that far away (but still probably too far away)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

audiododd

Interesting. I didn't know that. Maybe it's time to look into Open Airplane for vacation flying options.
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

FlyMe2TheMooneyBin

There's a reason a CAP F5 works as an Open Airplane UPC.  They modeled the UPC on the CAP stan/eval program!  It used to just be a FAQ that said "email us your Form 5," but it's much more sophisticated now: http://cap.openairplane.com/

The only downside is that the CAP fleet is only 172s/182s, so a CAPF5 doesn't help you rent anything else.

NIN

Quote from: FlyMe2TheMooneyBin on September 24, 2017, 04:45:08 AM
The only downside is that the CAP fleet is only 172s/182s, so a CAPF5 doesn't help you rent anything else.

Once you have your UPC, I think all you have to do is an abbreviated checkout in other types that you might also have flown (ie. say an Archer or something).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: FlyMe2TheMooneyBin on September 24, 2017, 04:45:08 AM
There's a reason a CAP F5 works as an Open Airplane UPC.  They modeled the UPC on the CAP stan/eval program!  It used to just be a FAQ that said "email us your Form 5," but it's much more sophisticated now: http://cap.openairplane.com/

Really? What about the 206s I get right seat time in, here in CAWG?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

No need to be pedantic, Dave.

Very few FBOs have 206s sitting on the ramp waiting for rental.  Just like they don't *generally* have a Maule MT-7 or Gippsland GA-8 available.

What OP probably really meant was generically "high wing Cessna products" versus something that would also be available at your average FBO like a Piper PA-28, a Cirrus or a DA-20.  CAP's Form 5 stands in for a UPC on "most" of the high-wing Cessna products that are commonly available at an FBO, but not for something markedly different like the aforementioned non-Cessna products.  For that you'd need an additional checkout.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret