Could Squadron Chaplain be Finance Officer?

Started by deats1, August 22, 2017, 12:32:50 PM

deats1

Hi,

Does anyone know could the squadron chaplain also be the squadron finance officer? According to reg 265-1 it looked like the only job duties the chaplain can't take are CAP command, Deputy commander, testing officer, or designated investigation officer.

Thanks much!

Deats

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
Yes, but it's not a good idea.
+1.  Experience in my unit would support not doing that.

Shieldel

Not against regs but poor practice, I could personally see a conflict of interest rising out of that just from thinking logically (no implication there, sorry if I seem crass, I'm a little punchy).
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

deats1

Your comments make sense and agree.  Thank you for the feedback!

EMT-83

Quote from: Shieldel on August 22, 2017, 09:43:46 PM
Not against regs but poor practice, I could personally see a conflict of interest rising out of that just from thinking logically (no implication there, sorry if I seem crass, I'm a little punchy).

I can't imagine that a "conflict of interest" could ever occur. With Chaplains handling the money, I'd bet that most of the financial nonsense prior to the Wing Banker program never would have happened.

Eclipse

People have honest disagreements over how to spend money all
time. A Chaplain should be outside that.

"That Others May Zoom"

JacobAnn

Unfortunately some squadrons are so light on senior members that some wear more hats than they would like to.  I have to appreciate their sense of stepping up to the plate.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2017, 10:49:36 PM
People have honest disagreements over how to spend money all
time. A Chaplain should be outside that.
+1.  That said, I also appreciate JacobAnn's comments about willingness to do the work.  On balance, the Chaplain needs to be outside of this type of role and they might well have some conflict - some units do have a Chaplain Corps budget and you can't be the finance officer at the same time as being a 'budget holder'...not really.  Sadly, enthusiasm apart, somebody else has to take this one!

Alaric

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 22, 2017, 10:32:23 PM
Quote from: Shieldel on August 22, 2017, 09:43:46 PM

I can't imagine that a "conflict of interest" could ever occur. With Chaplains handling the money, I'd bet that most of the financial nonsense prior to the Wing Banker program never would have happened.

That presumes Chaplains are less prone to temptation and wrongdoing then other human beings.  Since they are human, I'm going to say that that's a pretty big assumption

arajca

Let's look at it functionally. What does the squadron FM do? Basically balances the check book and keeps minutes of finance meetings. With the full implementation of the wing banker program, the special promotions for CPAs and Finance professionals was dropped, except for ones serving as wing FM. When planning the budget, all seniors should have input. Yes, even the Chaplain. The FM is not out spending money willy-nilly, nor are they setting priorities for how the money is spent.

Chappie

Shieldel is "spot on"...while the regs don't prohibit a Chaplain serving in that role, it is not a best practice.   A Chaplain should be available in cases where mediation is needed in conflict....and finances is a potential area of conflict.   It is not the amount of money that is on hand...but who gets to spend what.   I have no problem with a Chaplain serving in another role like historian, professional development, aerospace education or cadet programs...but finance officer -- no way.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Al Sayre

Depends...  When I was a Sq/CC, I had 3 Chaplains in my squadron, one of whom also was rated in the Financial Management Specialty Track, so he was also pegged as our Finance Officer.  Also consider that most Chaplains have some level of experience in fund raising etc., so it may be a good fit depending on the individual Chaplain and the Squadrons circumstances.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

Quote from: Chappie on August 24, 2017, 01:13:46 AM
Shieldel is "spot on"...while the regs don't prohibit a Chaplain serving in that role, it is not a best practice.   A Chaplain should be available in cases where mediation is needed in conflict....and finances is a potential area of conflict.   It is not the amount of money that is on hand...but who gets to spend what.   I have no problem with a Chaplain serving in another role like historian, professional development, aerospace education or cadet programs...but finance officer -- no way.
So, following your logic, a Chaplain should have no say in determining how unit monies are spent, since their role is to mediate differences in opinion, not have one themselves.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on August 24, 2017, 01:48:37 PM
So, following your logic, a Chaplain should have no say in determining how unit monies are spent, since their role is to mediate differences in opinion, not have one themselves.

Why would a Chaplain, or anyone else not on the Finance Committee, have any "say" how unit funds are spent?

That's why you have a Finance Committee - if members want or need something, they request reimbursement (in advance),
or request it be added to the budget, beyond that, no involvement.

"That Others May Zoom"

s.cap

Is this related to Cadet Programs Management & Activities?

SarDragon

Quote from: s.cap on August 24, 2017, 11:52:18 PM
Is this related to Cadet Programs Management & Activities?

Can you suggest a more appropriate place for it?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

s.cap

My apologies, it seems like a popular topic I'm not following.

I've been able to gather and learn quite a bit of good information from these forums and I thank all who participate.

Perhaps Membership? 

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: arajca on August 24, 2017, 01:48:37 PM
Quote from: Chappie on August 24, 2017, 01:13:46 AM

Being a "Finance Officer" and having a say in how unit monies are spent are different issues IMHO.  As a Chaplain, I have submitted  a budget to sq/wing/region for approval -- and had to defend my requests.   And there have been those occasions where members with a passion for their area of responsibility expressed their opinion strongly (and loudly) ... where a Chaplain -- as a fellow staff member -- can have a calming influence of these discussions.  Personally, I would never serve on the finance committee.  I have no problem is offering ideas -- when asked -- about fund raising,etc.  since as a pastor/leader of a largely volunteer organization (not all parishes are blessed to have paid staff...but rely on volunteers) one does have a bit of experience and insight on fund-raising, budgets, recruiting for positions and retention of members, etc.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)