Duty Positions for the Technologically Challenged?

Started by kcebnaes, April 10, 2017, 01:17:01 AM

etodd

I'm 61. Not long ago I was out somewhere at a restaurant, and was entering a flight plan in Foreflight on my iPad. A couple of late teens nearby mentioned how 'cute' it was to see an older guy using an iPad and they giggled. I told them what I was doing on it and the giggling stopped. Then I reminded them that it was their grand and great-grandparent's generations that developed the technology of minaturization of electronics that enabled these devices to be built one day, and that their parent's generation were the geniuses that then developed all these high tech electronic devices, so that the kids today can simply 'use them'.  >:D

(Yes I know today's kids will take it all to new levels, but I made my point with them. They didn't realize how far back all this goes. It didn't just start up. LOL)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

You mean you weren't just sharing cat videos on Facebook with your grandkids? Hrrmph. Grandparents these days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AirAux

Nin, I resemble that remark.  I have 8 kitties and plead guilty.  I have entered into this fray and some good people have attempted to show me the error of my ways.  Part of my reply is defensive I am sure.  When we were young and starting out and going to Wing Conferences and making fun of the old gray heads we never realized we would be they some day.  I have had some problems with the new CAP.  I was very comfortable in the way we used to do it.  Coffee and donuts and 4 hours and Level 1 was done and everybody knew everybody a little bit better because we had the time together.  It was what it was and it is now what it is.  I guess one of my concerns with the older member in the OP is, why is he a member and even showing up?  I think he needs something out of CAP, but what, I don't know.  Maybe belonging to something bigger than him?  Maybe he wants to help, but is confused and scared of the technology?  National has thrown a lot of technology at us without much actual training.  Has he been a contributor is years past?  Did he successfully run a Squadron for 10-15 years?  Doe she have a need to be told he matters to somebody?  I don't know, but if he is truly as unhappy as you say, I would think he would wander off and find other things to do.  Maybe he stays because it is just a matter of loyalty to the Corps?  I don't know, but I do know he isn't stopping someone else from being in Group just because he is.  If he sits in the corner and doesn't make waves, is he hurting anyone?  Maybe he is like the 50% of the Corps that really doesn't do anything but show up?  I don't think he needs to be removed or scorned or stoned.  Put him in the corner and give him a cracker occasionally.  At least he is paying his dues.  As Usual, JMHO.

NIN

Quote from: AirAux on April 13, 2017, 12:41:52 PM
Nin, I resemble that remark.  I have 8 kitties and plead guilty.  I have entered into this fray and some good people have attempted to show me the error of my ways.  Part of my reply is defensive I am sure.  When we were young and starting out and going to Wing Conferences and making fun of the old gray heads we never realized we would be they some day.

Oh, you don't have to tell me: I am one of them now. I just keep my hair short so I don't have to look at it and I can keep pretending.

QuoteI have had some problems with the new CAP.  I was very comfortable in the way we used to do it.  Coffee and donuts and 4 hours and Level 1 was done and everybody knew everybody a little bit better because we had the time together.  It was what it was and it is now what it is.

My conversations every day.  "Just because Level I is online doesn't preclude you from actually doing MORE than the online training, or helping facilitate it. Or, heaven forbid, holding a couple-three senior training classes to reinforce Level I and teach some additional things. Instead of sending a new member a link to the LMS and saying 'Here ya go. Login to eServices and do it... Somewhere in there. I think. Maybe.'  How about some coaching and mentoring. Some face to face interaction?  It doesn't have to be the old 4 hours of Level I with donuts routine, but you shouldn't abrogate your ability to correctly train your people just because its online now."

QuoteI guess one of my concerns with the older member in the OP is, why is he a member and even showing up?  I think he needs something out of CAP, but what, I don't know.  Maybe belonging to something bigger than him?  Maybe he wants to help, but is confused and scared of the technology?  National has thrown a lot of technology at us without much actual training.  Has he been a contributor is years past?  Did he successfully run a Squadron for 10-15 years?  Doe she have a need to be told he matters to somebody?  I don't know, but if he is truly as unhappy as you say, I would think he would wander off and find other things to do.  Maybe he stays because it is just a matter of loyalty to the Corps?  I don't know, but I do know he isn't stopping someone else from being in Group just because he is.  If he sits in the corner and doesn't make waves, is he hurting anyone?  Maybe he is like the 50% of the Corps that really doesn't do anything but show up?  I don't think he needs to be removed or scorned or stoned.  Put him in the corner and give him a cracker occasionally.  At least he is paying his dues.  As Usual, JMHO.

Give him a way to get reimbursed and make him the DAO (domestic affairs officer.. what we used to call the guy who was in charge of food and such for activities) for your group.  Coordinating that kind of service support is a job he can do and its an important job that you can assign to someone who isn't as savvy on other more technically demanding things (remember I jokingly said "SnackO?"  I guess I wasn't joking as hard as I thought) . 

Need donuts for the next Level I? Hey, Capt Bagodonuts can do that.  Group event that requires a barbeque?  Capt Bagodonuts, can you coordinate that? Organize some grills, a trip to Sams for burgers and buns, a couple guys to cook them, maybe some cool tactical aprons?  Group SAREX?  We want to pay for a catered lunch..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AirAux

Thank you Nin, and I think it is a good idea with holding some Level 1 classes.  Geeeshh, you would of thought that maybe, just maybe I would have thought of that.  But noooooo.  Captalk is worthwhile, I don't care what they say!!

AirAux

Ok, Nin got me all excited to engage again.  I want to do my job better and contribute once again.  Considering Level 1's, is there a way for me to watch the Level 1 presentation so I will be better able to have a meaningful discussion with the newbies?  I have been told that if I watch it using my member ID number that it may replace my Level 1 from long ago with the new date that I would be taking it in order to view it.  I am a little bit technologically challenged, but not entirely and I am willing to learn.  Can someone help me out with this?  As usual, thanks!! 

jeders

Quote from: AirAux on April 14, 2017, 01:23:16 PM
Ok, Nin got me all excited to engage again.  I want to do my job better and contribute once again.  Considering Level 1's, is there a way for me to watch the Level 1 presentation so I will be better able to have a meaningful discussion with the newbies?  I have been told that if I watch it using my member ID number that it may replace my Level 1 from long ago with the new date that I would be taking it in order to view it.  I am a little bit technologically challenged, but not entirely and I am willing to learn.  Can someone help me out with this?  As usual, thanks!!

You can review the Level 1 material, which is CAPP 50-4, at any time. You can access it through the LMS, the national publications page, or the CAP University page.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AirAux

That does not let me know what they are seeing when they take Level 1 online.  I want to see it as it is so I am comfortable discussing it with them.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP