Main Menu

AOPA Members

Started by smj58501, May 18, 2007, 06:21:11 PM

Are you a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association?

Yes
No, but I know who they are/ what they do
No, and I never heard of them/ don't know what they do

smj58501

Folks-

I am just curious how many CAP members out there also belong to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA). General Aviation is in the fight of its life right now concerning a potential introduction of user fees and increased AVGAS taxes to fund the FAA, and AOPA is leading the charge to prevent them.

If user fees and increased gas taxes come in to play, most GA pilots will not be able to afford to fly anymore. Flying (even at CAP rates) already is an expensive proposition as it stands today. The cascading impact on CAP could be equally devastating.... if our pilots can't afford to fly, it will be difficult for them to maintain proficiency. Without proficient pilots, well... I think you can figure out the second and third order effects on the organization.

AOPA is a lobbying organization. No matter what your opinion on lobbying is, it is how things get accomplished inside the beltway. Lobbying can't be done without financial support from membership dues and other contributions.

You can go to www.aopa.org to learn more about this issue, as well as the organization itself. I am not advocating  membership... just curious how many already are members. Also, since this issue could impact us, it may not hurt for everyone to learn more about it and make up their own minds.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

bosshawk

If you are a pilot, active or inactive, or a member who gives a hoot about GA in this country, AOPA is the organization to belong to.  It has more than 400,000 members and has more clout in Washington than all the other alphabet organizations put together.

Go onto the AOPA website: www.aopa.org and see what it does.  I have belonged for many years and wouldn't go to the airport without it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SJFedor

CAP, as a non profit organization, is tax exempt. Yes virginia, even from avgas tax. Most don't know it, and most don't bother to go in and have it changed, but it is possible and legal.

<---- AOPA member

Their renters insurance is great to have. I keep a policy just in case as a CAP pilot for $5000 (amount you pay if you bend a plane and it's not totally your fault before CAP's insurance kicks in) and it's only a little bit a month. Covers me for renting FBO planes as well.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

smj58501

Quote from: SJFedor on May 19, 2007, 11:25:09 PM
CAP, as a non profit organization, is tax exempt. Yes virginia, even from avgas tax. Most don't know it, and most don't bother to go in and have it changed, but it is possible and legal.

Even for C17-type proficiency flying where the member pays out of their own pocket? If so this is great.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

BillB

What rule gives CAP the tax exemptions? Need something to take to the FBO
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

The only thing I know about is in regards to individuals deducting money spent on CAP.  However, there could very well be state laws exempting 501(3)c organizations from certain taxes.   Not aware of a federal law that exempts us from things like sales taxes.

lordmonar

My one and only beef with AOPA is that they are against requiring the new ELTs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

I am a member of AOPA. I am also an aspiring airline pilot so I am caught in the middle of this fight.

Al Sayre

Quote from: BillB on May 20, 2007, 04:12:15 PM
What rule gives CAP the tax exemptions? Need something to take to the FBO

I believe it's one of those deals where they file at the end of the FY for tax recovery.  That's why the finance folks are so adamant about receipts.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787