MG Pineda testifies before Congress

Started by RiverAux, April 26, 2007, 10:38:35 PM

RiverAux

Here is a link to yesterday's testimony by MG Pineda http://homeland.house.gov/SiteDocuments/20070425102629-84700.pdf before the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on
Emergency Communications, Preparedness, and Response during a hearing on "Examining the Military's Support of Civil Authorities During Disasters".  Most is a rehash of CAP history and some recent ES missions and then there is:

The Arizona Border Mission
That same level of CAP commitment and cooperation continued last summer. At the request of the CSAF, CAP commenced increased training in Arizona in the anticipation of follow-on taskings. These mission rehearsals began on 17 July of 2006. CAP is training in Search and Rescue, Aerial Reconnaissance and Radio Relay. In the course of these training missions, if CAP aircrew members observed individuals in distress, appropriate authorities were notified. Concurrently, USAF staff members are actively developing a Concept of Operations so that we can smoothly transition to support of the Border Patrol, should the Department of Defense receive a request for assistance. The bottom line need was to protect lives along the border.
which doesn't seem to say much new, but then:
QuoteHowever, several issues that may limit our effectiveness must be addressed. First, as various federal, state, or local agencies come together to work on a mission such as this one the overall effectiveness and results of the total effort may be enhanced by placing one agency in a position of overarching authority. This lead agency could then most efficiently and effectively orchestrate and direct all operational and support activity to accomplish the mission. Secondly, since CAP is a private non-profit corporation and the Air Force Auxiliary, should "Posse Comitatus" apply to operations such as this one? CAP stands ready to address and assist in resolving these and any other issues if you wish to continue utilizing us in this role.
which may be the opening salvo in the Legislative Agenda CAP is currently pursuing. 

mikeylikey

VERY INTERESTING!  I wonder if this is some of the "great new" stuff he was eluding to at the TX wing Conference. 

Would be nice if CAP.gov could post when he is going to be testifying.  Perhaps even provide transcripts on the website. 

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Uh, I got it from CAP News Online which had the link to his testiomy that I posted.  They've done similar things for prior congressional appearances.

Eclipse

Please Lord...

Never

EVER

EVER

let us be the lead agency on anything important.

The quickest way for us to be shown for the levels we are at, is for that to happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I think you are misinterpreting what he meant.  The context does not indicate that he expects CAP to be put in charge of a multi-federal agency mission.  I take this as general support for better use of the ICS system.