Personal Epirbs, anyone using or buying them?

Started by AlaskanCFI, February 17, 2007, 12:44:20 AM

AlaskanCFI

Just looking for anyone who has researched the 406 epirbs.

My lovely bride gave me the OK to buy one, so I am looking for one with a built in GPS mode. 
Having burned lots of gas chasing bounced ELT signal up in our mountains, it seems like a better way to go...

So I am out price shopping...

xx

Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

lordmonar

I don't have one yet...but I am getting one soon and I am getting one with GPS for the same reason.

I don't want anyone to have to guess where I am....but to drive/fly right up to me.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MississippiFlyboy

Do they even make any for under 500 bones?? All the ones I see are mucho pricey.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

sardak

I'm not selling anything, this is just personal experience.

I bought an ACR Aquafix 406 PLB with built-in GPS about 18 months ago.  I haven't had the opportunity to see if it works like advertised.

The Aquafix with built-in GPS is currently on sale for $550 at West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com)

ACR makes an Aquafix, Aerofix and Terrafix.  They are identical except for the color.  There are, of course, other brands of PLB.

My only recommendation would be to spend the extra money and buy one with the built in GPS.  Otherwise, you have to screw around trying to connect the GPS to the PLB, not something you should have to worry about in an emergency.  If you're going to spend that sort of money, might as well do it right, and make it easy on yourself and SAR.

Mike

SARPilotNY

Go with the aguafix, at least it gives you some floatability. 
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff