Taking Grandma skydiving

Started by Major Lord, May 26, 2012, 08:46:53 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Lord on May 27, 2012, 05:24:56 PMMy offer stands, If anyone wants to arrange a static line or free fall training as a non-CAP activity ( the tandem jump is just too,.... well, you know...) I will be happy to go out that door, in CAP Uniform! ( We may have to wear Tango-style hoods and black out our name tapes to prevent retaliation though!)

Major Lord
I'm in....Nin can be JM!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

COL Land

Quote from: Major Lord on May 27, 2012, 05:24:56 PMMy offer stands, If anyone wants to arrange a static line or free fall training as a non-CAP activity ( the tandem jump is just too,.... well, you know...) I will be happy to go out that door, in CAP Uniform!

The U.S. Army Cadet Corps' (USAC) last day of Annual Training (AT) at the National Cadet Training Center (NCTC) in Millersburg, Kentucky, will be August 4th, 2012.  By that time, we will have completed two 2-week Basic Cadet Training sessions; a three-week Cadet Basic Leader Course; a three-week Cadet Ranger Challenge and three-week Cadet Ranger School; two-week Cadet Military Police Academy and more.  Many Cadets will have been with us the entire summer a total of seven weeks.   Of course, many of our Cadets would love to jump as part of one of our training progarms; however, that is obviously an activity that's well outside the scope of our insurance. 

However, it has become traditional for USAC personnel, after the final graduation of the summer, and when all of the Cadets and cadre have officially checked-out from the NCTC (and are now on their own time), to go a drop zone in Ohio (near Cincinnati) for the "First Jump Course."   That drop zone is one of the very few in the country who will train and jump 16-year-olds on a static line jump (they will jump 16-year-old USAC Cadets only...no exceptions)  Incidentally, they also offer their military discount to all USAC personnel.  This allows those Cadets and cadre to earn their USAC Basic Parachutist wings, while staying within the confines of our regulations and insurance coverage, and at an affordable price.   

Although this activity is not authorized for wear of the complete USAC uniform, virtually all will wear the official USAC PT shirt and jeans, creating a uniform appearance.  Once the first jump is completed, all personnel then shift into a USAC uniform to receive their wings. 

Shown above, left to right: C/PO1 Joseph M. Land, Jr. (now 2LT, USAC); MAJ Bill McDonald; WWII Veteran of the 101st Abn MSG Joseph W. Crawford; C/PO2 Allen and C/PO1 Carrera Blum after having received their jump wings from MSG Crawford.  The above photo was taken in 2005 or so. Joseph is now a 2LT, USAC; Bill is a DA Civilian; Ms. Allen is a police office; Carerra is a Marine Wife and going to school. I'm very proud of all of them!  MSG Crawford - a former POW and Purple Heart and Bronze Star veteran (and my grandfather) presented the wings.  More recently, he was the Guest of Honor for USAC's Anniversary Ball last year...tearing up the dance floor at age 88!  When asked what he thought about jumping, he said "The first jump was great...the second was a son of a b*tch...that's when you realize how crazy it is to do this!"   Wise words!

Once back on the ground, having completed their first jump, our personnel are then authorized to change into uniform to be "pinned" with their USAC-specific wings:

Of note, Cadets must have a parent/guardian present during this event and the parent is solely responsible for all decisions and releases involved with this activity.  USAC simply recognizes the qualification through a badge; however, we are very careful to ensure that the activity is not publicized on our website, contained in a training schedule or can - in any way - be seen an an official USAC activity.

With all that said, Maj Lord, we'd be glad to make you an "Army Cadet for the Day"  ;) if you'd like to join in on the 4th of August.  In fact, I might even jump again if you show up!   

Hooah!
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Major Lord

That sounds absolutely awesome! Let me see if I can break loose from NorCal. Airborne!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

COL Land

Major Lord:

That offer still stands! 

JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Major Lord

Col Land,

Health permitting, I will very much try to go, and I appreciate your kind offer. I am still recovering from a bacterial gut infection I picked up in Katrina that migrated into all kinds of terrible things, and I have to go in for infusions of drugs, chemo, etc. periodically. Occasionally, a cranky girl scout could kick the snot out of me, but if I am in a remission stage (most of the time right now) I would love to do it! Other than showing up, what do I need to do ? FYI, I weigh 220 at 6-3, is this inside their payload envelope? I would hate to set the fastest time to ground record of the USACC! ( Well, I know NIN probably has that, having long since evolved beyond the need for a mere parachute)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

COL Land

Quote from: Major Lord on June 14, 2012, 12:48:14 PMFYI, I weigh 220 at 6-3, is this inside their payload envelope? I would hate to set the fastest time to ground record of the USACC!

MEMORANDUM FOR Personnel Crazy Enough to Jump Out of an Airplane

1.  You're on your own, bubba!  This ain't a USAC gig.   Jump at your own risk!   

Love,

USAC's Legal Beagle
***********************************************************************************
Joking aside, here is what the http://www.startskydiving.com says:

Weight                    Comments
----------- --------------------------------------------------------------
Less than 200lbs     Almost every DZ should be willing to let you jump.

200-230lbs. The majority of DZ's should be willing to let you jump. Being in relatively good shape is a plus. Beyond about 230lbs, most reserves canopies are no longer strictly legal for you to use.

230-250lbs. Some DZ's may take you, but will likely insist that you be in good shape, i.e. not a couch-potato. You must recognize that there is a greater chance of injury, particularly if you are not somewhat athletic.

Greater than 250lbs. Very few DZ's will be able to let you skydive. They are likely to use converted Tandem gear. Without this type of equipment, you will need to be in excellent physical condition, and be willing to accept an increased chance of injury in case of a bad landing.

Please note that this table is only a guideline. Call us and discuss your weight concerns. Also, there are experienced skydivers who are quite heavy -- however, they likely learned when they were lighter and had mastered landing before gaining the additional weight.

***********************************************************************************
PM me when the time gets closer.   SFC Tommy Sullivan, our Ranger Instructor and a former Golden Knight, is planning to jump that day.  If CPT Ninness can get out here this summer, I'm certain he would too.    Seriously, I can't track Cadets on this at all, lest it inadvertently becomes an official event...but I'm sure there will be a good handful of folks there on that Sunday.   

If you need three hots and a cot, let us know...Hooah!
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"