Stewardess: "Is there a Doctor on board? And, also, is anyone a pilot?"

Started by TankerT, January 27, 2007, 11:13:26 PM

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nick

That reminds me to get out my 'Emergency multi-engine jet aircraft landings for dummies' guide and brush up on it.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SAR-EMT1

Hmm... Im not exactly sure why the private licensed guy went up / why they asked for a second pilot..The plane had a copilot, and arent the controls totally duplicated in a ship like that? 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Nick

I'm sure he took over all the F/O duties for the landing (comm, establishing approach vectors, handling the flaps/gear/throttle, etc.) so the F/O could focus on PIC duties.  If you're used to a two-man operation, I highly doubt you want to be caught doing it all yourself in an emergency situation. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

DNall

Can you imagine the passengers when you announce the need for a doctor & then a pilot? That's insane! I'm pretty sure flight attendants have a good deal of medical training beyond CPR as well. In fact, this being Continental, I know they do.

afgeo4

Umm... they couldn't interview the private pilot himself? I like how the article almost makes a hero out of this man. Now I don't know him and I'm not making any judgements on him, but what did he do that the news agency felt compelled to do the story on him, even include his photo?

IMHO the article looks like something a high school would do. Now, wouldn't it be smarter to authorize CAP members to fly in dress uniforms just for such occasions? Easy to identify someone with wings as a pilot.
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2007, 11:43:52 PM
Now, wouldn't it be smarter to authorize CAP members to fly in dress uniforms just for such occasions? Easy to identify someone with wings as a pilot.

LOL....  ::)
Just as long as they arent SOLO wings  ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Pylon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 29, 2007, 01:57:30 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2007, 11:43:52 PM
Now, wouldn't it be smarter to authorize CAP members to fly in dress uniforms just for such occasions? Easy to identify someone with wings as a pilot.

LOL....  ::)
Just as long as they arent SOLO wings  ;D

How about Pre-Solo?   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

JohnKachenmeister

My son is a flight attendant for Spirit. They have an AED on board and they are trained to use it.

But when God calls you home, you're going.  All the AED's, CPR, and doctors in the world cannot change that.
Another former CAP officer

TankerT

Quote from: mclarty on January 28, 2007, 05:08:23 PM
I'm sure he took over all the F/O duties for the landing (comm, establishing approach vectors, handling the flaps/gear/throttle, etc.) so the F/O could focus on PIC duties.  If you're used to a two-man operation, I highly doubt you want to be caught doing it all yourself in an emergency situation. :)

I actually found a better article the other day... which I can't find anymore.  Basically, the pilot read the checklists off, did radio work etc.  All minor items.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

AlaskanCFI

Avweb has a better article:

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/795-full.html#194328

Hey, now the guy gets to log 757 Dual, SIC, Multi Engine and High Performance all on one trip....

xx
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

afgeo4

Yes, but shouldn't the FAA fine him for operating outside of his ratings?
GEORGE LURYE

dogden

I remember that if you declare an emergency the regs are pretty much void at that point. I have seen it happen as a flight attendant for 4 years. We had a medical emergency on board, did 320kias until the outer marker and I was in the isle for the landing. we had the passenger at the door by the time we got off the runway ready for EMS to take them off the aircraft.

Under normal operations the FAA would have been all over us for that. With an emergency being declared, we just told them why we made the decisions we did and nothing was ever said.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

JohnKachenmeister

The pilot in command may deviate from regulations to ensure safe flight.
Another former CAP officer

SAR-EMT1

I'm not a Pilot so this may be an obvious/dumb question to those of you who are: would that PPL good Samaritan actually get to log that 757 flight? 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

dogden

Legally, It would require the surviving pilot to have a MEI and a 757/767 type rating for the passenger to log the time.

The airline that I worked for, most of the first officers (f/o's) had all of the instructor ratings(CFI/CFII/MEI) without a type rating. The aircraft training that the f/o's received was almost the same as the captains, just without the type rating. This was done to save money. Southwest airlines on the other hand requires all pilots to have a 737 type rating before they are hired.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

AlaskanCFI

There is also SIC time...
If the surviving pilot was a CFI, which is likey since he probably obtained one on his way to his ATP,  then the C-182 pilot could possibly log dual instruction time. 

Even if you could not,,,, I sure as heck would.... he lived the dream.... at that point in time and probably now,,, our opinions don't mean s%*^t...
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com