Civil Air Patrol Members Registering for The Selective Service System

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 18, 2011, 11:15:57 PM

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2011, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on September 19, 2011, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 04:02:46 AM
Because it's not emphasized in school, and the kids just don't know.

Actually My School called in students during their Birth Month and registered you in school.

Man I bet they got some "fun" telephone calls...

I'm not sure if they did or not.   They also registered you to vote at the same time.  Especially for those students who were applying to colleges

The CyBorg is destroyed

I turned 18 in January, 1984.

I still have my paperwork SSS sent me acknowledging that.

Why they finger CAP, I don't know...I smell another RM "this shows we are CIVILIANS!" thread.  Big deal.  SDF's are only military within their state boundaries.  Guard and Reserve have to register too.

If you don't register you shut yourself off from a lot of things: student loans, Pell grants, access to Federal and most State jobs...not to mention that you're breaking the law.

And, should you decide to enlist - active, Guard, Reserve - they do ask you if you're registered.

I never saw the big deal in registering...a draft can only take place through an act of Congress, and like my dad told me in 1984, "I registered, had to go to the draft board, and then ended up doing two years active and two years National Guard.  You're no better than I am.  Get your *** down to the Post Office and register."  I did.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

I found my last draft card a while back, the one where I was classified 4-A. It's in my stuff somewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Quote from: SarDragon on September 20, 2011, 09:57:21 AM
I found my last draft card a while back, the one where I was classified 4-A. It's in my stuff somewhere.

The last card I got was 1H. Then I went into the Air Force and, although I never got a card, I saw a records rip that classified me as 1C.

Its really sort of a right of passage for young men. These days, though, if you don't it really messes up opportunities for student loans and things like that.