Main Menu

Cadet Protection (CPPT)

Started by Grumpy, May 27, 2011, 05:25:35 PM

Grumpy

Just an FYI

For those who have not noticed, effective 24 May 11, CAPR 50-17, para 3-4, has changed the age requirement for cadets to take the Cadet Protection Training (CPPT).  It's been changed from 18 years to 17 years.  Same requirements just age change.  Note:  CAPR 52-10, Cadet Protection does not show that change yet.

EMT-83

It has to be a typo – it should say within 6 months of their 18th birthday.

As written, it conflicts with 52-10 and 52-16, as well as the first sentence within the same paragraph.

Spaceman3750

If you look at the Level I page on capmembers.com, it says "(For ages 17 & older only)" next to the CPPT link but the page itself says 18. Either it's a typo in two places or NHQ/PD and NHQ/CP aren't talking very often.

Rowan

I can't remember who it was, but someone told me the CPPT is required at age 18, but 17-year-olds can take it early if they want to.  Did anyone else hear the same?

davidsinn

Quote from: Rowan on May 27, 2011, 06:14:29 PM
I can't remember who it was, but someone told me the CPPT is required at age 18, but 17-year-olds can take it early if they want to.  Did anyone else hear the same?

That was my understanding.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Cadet promotion module is locked for a cadet the day they turn 18. You can't enter PT, tests, etc. This appears to be part of allowing cadets to take CPPT at 17 as now the have to have it at 18 to do anything toward promotion.

Grumpy

I tried to call cadet programs but didn't get an answer.  I'll ck back in about an hour.

ßτε

Cadets must take CPPT within 6 months after their 18th birthday, or to promote before then.
It was changed recently to allow 17 year old cadets to take CPPT in order to get it completed by age 18 so it wouldn't delay promotions.
The new CAPR 50-17 must have a typo.

ßτε

Quote from: Grumpy on May 27, 2011, 06:37:31 PM
I tried to call cadet programs but didn't get an answer.  I'll ck back in about an hour.
Don't try calling until Tuesday. They have a four day weekend at NHQ. See the announcement posted on eServices.

Eclipse

Cadets must take it by 18-1/2.

Cadets can take at 17-1/2.

At 17-1/2, you are legally 17.

No drama and no call necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I didn't see that notice on the eServices home screen RSS feed, so.. I kinda wondered where you got it from.

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on May 27, 2011, 11:49:08 PM
I didn't see that notice on the eServices home screen RSS feed, so.. I kinda wondered where you got it from.

I forgot what weekend this was.  Makes sense now.  Seems how cadets 17 yrs old may participate and I have two on the color guard going to NCC, I'm giving them the training just in case it's decided it's not a typo.

Eclipse

Quote from: Grumpy on May 28, 2011, 03:47:30 AM

I forgot what weekend this was.  Makes sense now.  Seems how cadets 17 yrs old may participate and I have two on the color guard going to NCC, I'm giving them the training just in case it's decided it's not a typo.

If they do it before 17-1/2 it's not going to count (or shouldn't, anyway).

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2011, 04:30:36 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on May 28, 2011, 03:47:30 AM

If they do it before 17-1/2 it's not going to count (or shouldn't, anyway).

Sounds like it's the ol' left hand, right hand thing, doesn't it?

Major Carrales

The boys should also register for Selective Service at the same time.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 28, 2011, 10:00:34 AM
The boys should also register for Selective Service at the same time.

You have to actually be 18 to do that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Grumpy

I was a draft dodger.   I enlisted before I registered.

SARDOC

Quote from: Grumpy on May 28, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
I was a draft dodger.   I enlisted before I registered.

Me too...and wouldn't you know it...I still had to register before applying for student loans...they required the Selective Service number even though I was already prior service

Grumpy

I sent off an email to Nat'l today requesting a clarification as to the age requirement for cadets to take CPPT.  Heard back from one of my 17 year old cadets and he says the system let him in to take it.  So that's a good thing.

davidsinn

Quote from: Grumpy on May 31, 2011, 05:53:40 PM
I sent off an email to Nat'l today requesting a clarification as to the age requirement for cadets to take CPPT.  Heard back from one of my 17 year old cadets and he says the system let him in to take it.  So that's a good thing.

What system let him in? It's an in person discussion. CPPT is not online. The resources are there but you must sit down and discuss things with the commander.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

Quote from: davidsinn on May 31, 2011, 06:00:37 PM

What system let him in? It's an in person discussion. CPPT is not online. The resources are there but you must sit down and discuss things with the commander.
The page the resources are posted is supposed to be restricted to allow access to only senior members and cadets age 17 or older. Until lately, it was 18 or older. One would access the page through eServices.   

davidsinn

Quote from: ß τ ε on May 31, 2011, 07:00:59 PM

The page the resources are posted is supposed to be restricted to allow access to only senior members and cadets age 17 or older. Until lately, it was 18 or older. One would access the page through eServices.

I stand corrected.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Grumpy

Correct, but you do go on line and study the material, print out the pretest and take it into the squadron.  I just didn't word it correctly.  Thanks for catching that.

EMT-83

It's been that way since 52-16 was updated back in February.

I've submitted Form 11s for 17 year-old cadets with no problem.  They are able to take, and receive credit for, the course at age 17 - not 17 plus six months.

jks19714

I suppose that at that point, the programmers said it was "close enough for government work"...  ;D
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

EMT-83

More likely, because 52-16 says age 17.

CAPC/officer125

I tried to take it online and it will not let me. I turn 18 in a month anyway and it will only be review due to the amount of encampment staff trainings I have been to, but I would really like to take it before then since I am thinking about it.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

SarDragon

You need to ask your unit SMs, or NHQ, why you can't get in online. This is something you should really get out of the way before your birthday, otherwise you are completely stalled.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

peter rabbit

If using Internet Explorer 9, I believe there is an issue that requires turning the compatibility mode on to take CAP tests. Is that your problem?

ßτε

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on June 01, 2011, 03:34:28 AM
I tried to take it online and it will not let me. I turn 18 in a month anyway and it will only be review due to the amount of encampment staff trainings I have been to, but I would really like to take it before then since I am thinking about it.
What exactly did you try to "take" online. There is nothing to take online for CPPT. Whta is online is the reference material, like the pre-test (which is printed and taken on paper) and a link to the slide presentation. Are you having difficulty accessing those?

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: ß τ ε on June 01, 2011, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on June 01, 2011, 03:34:28 AM
What exactly did you try to "take" online. There is nothing to take online for CPPT. Whta is online is the reference material, like the pre-test (which is printed and taken on paper) and a link to the slide presentation. Are you having difficulty accessing those?
I went to my e-services then to the "CAP Online Courses and Exams" tab. When I got to the page, I went down to the CPPT link (very last test link). It then told me that when I get on my e-services account I should have CPPT in the "My Favorites" tab. It is not. So I am thinking it is just the system not up-to-date with the new reg.
I have been told by a couple Senior members that have taken it over the last several years that it can be taken online. As far as getting it out of the way before my birthday so it doesn't hamper me continuing, I don't plan to become a Senior member at 18 and I am not planning to retake my Spaatz til after I renew my membership in October. So I have plenty of time to take during my sabbatical this summer.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

ßτε

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on June 01, 2011, 04:45:50 PM
I went to my e-services then to the "CAP Online Courses and Exams" tab. When I got to the page, I went down to the CPPT link (very last test link). It then told me that when I get on my e-services account I should have CPPT in the "My Favorites" tab. It is not. So I am thinking it is just the system not up-to-date with the new reg.
Look for Cadet Protection in My Favorites or in Other (below My Favorites).
If it is not there and you are age 17, check with NHQ and verify that they have your correct birth date.
Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on June 01, 2011, 04:45:50 PMI have been told by a couple Senior members that have taken it over the last several years that it can be taken online. As far as getting it out of the way before my birthday so it doesn't hamper me continuing, I don't plan to become a Senior member at 18 and I am not planning to retake my Spaatz til after I renew my membership in October. So I have plenty of time to take during my sabbatical this summer.
CPPT is not online, but the materials needed ore online. You do the pre-test, study the material, watch the powerpoint presentation, self grade your pre-test, read the case studies, meet with the commander or designated senior member to review your pre-test and case studies. The commander then sends a CAPF 11 to NHQ for you to receive credit.

I suggest you get it done before you take your sabbatical.

ßτε

By the way, the link listed in CAPR 52-16 (capmembers.com/cppt) goes to the CPPT page without going through eServices.

Perez

Currently I am not 17. So I understand that I may not take CPPT. However, I was wondering what extent of cadet protection policy I may be informed about/study. I would like to know this for the purpose of dispelling myths and meeting all required policies while conducting PT tests/training.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

davidsinn

Quote from: Perez on June 22, 2011, 03:46:17 AM
Currently I am not 17. So I understand that I may not take CPPT. However, I was wondering what extent of cadet protection policy I may be informed about/study. I would like to know this for the purpose of dispelling myths and meeting all required policies while conducting PT tests/training.

CAPR 52-10 is pretty much the extent of it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Grumpy

Quote from: Rowan on May 27, 2011, 06:14:29 PM

Yes.  Matter of fact, I've given two classes to some of my 17 year olds.  Sent in a form 11 and it got recorded at Nat'l

Eclipse

There's a reason that cadets under 18 aren't supposed to be involved in CPPT training, and the current 17-1/2 is a convenience not a plan.

Do't worry about it until you need to and leave it to the Seniors.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Where do you get 17 - 1/2?

52-16 says 17.

Eclipse

Correct, however the requirement and intention was "within 6 months" of their 18th birthday, which is 17-1/2.

Based on comments here the system is obviously accepting cadets at 17, regardless.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Not quite. 52-10 requires CPPT within the six months after the 18th birthday, which hasn't changed. Nowhere is six months before the 18th birthday referenced.