Major disruption to GPS incoming

Started by MikeD, February 28, 2011, 12:49:13 AM

MikeD

A company called LightSquared received an FCC license to start putting up 4G cell phone towers in a band that's only supposed to be used for satcom, that's adjacent to the GPS frequencies.  Some tests have been done with different devices that show they will loose position lock near one of these towers, sometimes as far as 6 miles away, depending on the receiver. 

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/act-now-protect-gps-signal-11113 has more information.  This has been approved by the FCC, but was done so without a public comments period so it looks like a shady backroom deal.  Unfortunately there isn't anything left to do but call your congresscritters and see if they will do anything. 

I'm not sure if this was the right forum to post in, but I thought that most of the people impacted will catch it here.
Mike

SARJunkie

Not correct.

There was a public comment period. I know because I commented on it!

The System WILL NOT interfere with GPS!  My agency has done many many tests with the system and there was no issues.

the system will add an unbelievable satellite and cellular based comma capability to the toolbox.

Ex CAP Guy!

MikeD

SARJunky, I'll PM you my email address, can you send me your test results.  We are very worried about this at work, and will probably try to do our own testing as well.  Our spectrum management people are reading over the Garmin test report, which includes their test setup.

And I will admit to being a little upset since part of the spectrum they're using used to belong to us for TM...  >:D