Main Menu

Request for SM demotion

Started by Persona non grata, December 17, 2010, 05:17:46 PM

Persona non grata

Has any person here experienced a voluntary request for demotion ?   I got a guy who want to be put down back to Captain from Major because he feels that there are too many majors in the wing.

Thoughts?
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Tim Medeiros

I've gotta say, this is a new one for me.

The reasoning is making my head itch too.  I'd counter with that there are no limits and that there are usually more Captains (from personal experience).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

flyboy53

Tell him to get a grip.  He would be calling attention to himself un-necessarily. The worst part is that a formal demotion like that would probably mean he may never get promoted to major again.

Soooo, unless he wants to be in the captain for life club, you should be counseling him to complete his professional development in order to be promoted to lieutenant colonel. Then he'll see why there are so many majors in his wing....besides how many of those majors are at that rank because that is how far they want to progress in the program?

Persona non grata

I honestly think the guy is tired of all the Majors in wing acting like general officers so he does want to be associated with the Major Mafia.  He will be eligible for LTC next month. Intersting thing is that he held equivalent NATO grade(in regards to US military rank) in a foreign military service.  Air corps grade of commandant.

a2capt

Well, the flip side, he should be greatfull he could get the rank in the first place, otherwise it could be like PAWG that says no Maj. or Lt. Col. if you are not at least Group CC or Wing Staff, accordingly.

Of course there's loop holes for the GoB network, and others, but .. he can do the Lt. Col. thing and rise "above" them, and set a standard for a different kind of personality, too. :) Buck their trend. Don't let them dictate what you do.

jb512

I don't see how it's a big deal to sweat about anyway.  His own personal rank should have nothing to do with anyone else and it's just CAP.  All it denotes is his standing within this organization.

RiverAux

Never heard of that, but if its what he wants, fine. 

exFlight Officer

Why not wait and be promoted to Lt Col and as mentioned before, "Rise Above" ? 

Respectively.

jimmydeanno

If he only has a month before he's eligible for Lt Col, submit the paperwork for "demotion."  Paperwork usually takes some time to process, about a month sometimes.  Tell him that the paperwork processed and hand him his silver oak leaves.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Thats gotta be the silliest thing Ive ever heard.  Everyone else sucks so I want to be demoted?

SARDOC

Somehow, I've got the feeling there is probably more to this story.

Ned

The obvious answer is to promote all the other majors in the wing so he can feel unique.

spacecommand

First time I've heard of this, if he felt that way, why did he promote to Major in the first place (assuming he didn't attain that rank through Professional Appointments or prior military service, or involuntarily promoted, if that is even possible, though I'm sure rarely to the grade of MAJ).

JK657

Not to mention he'd be taking a huge pay cut to be a Captain again
8)

SARDOC

Quote from: JK657 on December 18, 2010, 04:09:24 AM
Not to mention he'd be taking a huge pay cut to be a Captain again
8)

So how much TIG will he need until he can get demoted to First Lieutenant?

ZigZag911

Years ago NJW had a major (I think he is still around) who was so dissatisfied with some of the folks getting promoted to major that he asked to revert to SMWOG.

His request was granted and, as far as I know, he continues to serve CAP as an SM.

Persona non grata

He's a reservist in the Irish DF Air Corps they view rank and status a tad bit different than we do.   I got him on the phone and talked to him and he said that another Major in the Wing told him that it is a shame he never served in the military and did not know how to be the real deal.  I'm thinking  this turned him off.  They don't know his current foreign military service situation because he does not let it be known to everyone.  The guy is nothing but prorofesinal.  And in addition, the CAP Major who told him this also dressed down and AF Major at at a GTE(I observed it ,no joke) go figure.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 18, 2010, 05:58:53 AM
He's a reservist in the Irish DF Air Corps they view rank and status a tad bit different than we do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Air_Corps_Officer_Ranks_Insignia

It's a bit of a head-scratcher to me how he's able to serve in the IAC (who DO have sharp-looking blue uniforms) and CAP simultaneously...his frequent flier miles must be off the scale!

I concur with others who say that this is the first time I've seen a request for self-demotion in CAP.

However, should CAP ever reinstate a Warrant Officer grade tier (pigs might fly outta...) I would request transfer to that.  CWO3 would be more apropos to what I believe I do with CAP than O-3.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

Based on what you explained, I would tell him its a good idea to remain in his current grade and that he has much more to offer to the organisation, promote him when the time comes.

He's a reservist in the Irish DF Air Corps they view rank and status a tad bit different than we do.   I got him on the phone and talked to him and he said that another Major in the Wing told him that it is a shame he never served in the military and did not know how to be the real deal.  I'm thinking  this turned him off.  They don't know his current foreign military service situation because he does not let it be known to everyone.  The guy is nothing but prorofesinal.  And in addition, the CAP Major who told him this also dressed down and AF Major at at a GTE(I observed it ,no joke) go figure.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on December 18, 2010, 07:24:17 AM
He's a reservist in the Irish DF Air Corps they view rank and status a tad bit different than we do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Air_Corps_Officer_Ranks_Insignia

It's a bit of a head-scratcher to me how he's able to serve in the IAC (who DO have sharp-looking blue uniforms) and CAP simultaneously...his frequent flier miles must be off the scale!
Hey...they actually put the "f" in lieutenant...