Main Menu

T-34

Started by C-150, September 09, 2010, 04:31:48 PM

C-150

Does anyone know when and where the last operational T-34 in CAP was located.  I saw one restored in CAP markings and was just wondering if there may still be one doing actual missions somewhere.

PHall

As far as I know, that AD on the wing spars killed off the last few T-34's that were in CAP.
And that was about 10 years ago.

Flying Pig

My Squadron has photos of a CAP T34 crashed on the bank of a lake.  There are CAP members crowded around it, then the next several pictures of if the plane is on fire.  Ill see if I can get them from our Historian and post them.  So far nobody knows the story behind them that I know of.  The photos look like 1970's vintage.

dbaran

I recall one in CAWG - it was based at San Carlos, and it was about 1993 or 1994.  Still flying at that point.

Capt Ford

Last time I saw one was in a museum in Arizona.
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

FW

The last 3 T-34's were given up around 2000. If my memory is not too off; one from New Mexico Wing was the last T-34 in use.  The other two were sold.  I do not know what happened to the NMWG aircraft.

bosshawk

I had a Form 5 in the one at San Carlos, Ca and that was probably around 93 or 94.  I flew it about four or five times.  I would agree with Dave Baran that it was probably sold in the mid-90s.  I am too lazy to look it up in my log books.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mustang

I believe NMWG was the last wing to own a T-34.  When the rest were sold off (due to wing spar issues and the cost of AD compliance, IIRC), NMWG was allowed to keep theirs only with the caveat that no appropriated funds could be used for maintaining it. I don't know if they still have it or not.

CAWG's Sq 192 in San Carlos still had theirs as late as 1997 or 1998, though I believe it was grounded at that point.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

bosshawk

the one from Sq 192 is the one that I flew and you certainly could be correct on the 98-99 time frame.  I also flew the B models at the Navy Flying Club at Monterrey and I believe that they still have one on the line.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Stearmann4

The March Aero Club at March ARB in Riverside, CA still has 4 beautifully restored T-34s for rent. http://www.452fss.com/aero/aircraft.html

Mike-
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 10, 2010, 05:25:24 AM
My Squadron has photos of a CAP T34 crashed on the bank of a lake.  There are CAP members crowded around it, then the next several pictures of if the plane is on fire.  Ill see if I can get them from our Historian and post them.  So far nobody knows the story behind them that I know of.  The photos look like 1970's vintage.

Seems like a very likely explanation

QuoteOver a high Sierra lake still frozen solid, the T-34 encountered an unexpected layer of heavy turbulence caused by a temperature inversion. The plane was slammed into the top of the bowl above the lake and tobogganed down

http://sq10.cawg.cap.gov/library/JonKramer.php

DG

Quote from: FW on September 13, 2010, 11:23:29 AM
The last 3 T-34's were given up around 2000. If my memory is not too off; one from New Mexico Wing was the last T-34 in use.  The other two were sold.  I do not know what happened to the NMWG aircraft.

Colonel,

When our own Joe Friel graduated from Notre Dame with a BS in Electical Engineering, he was commissioned a 2nd Lt. (ROTC) and went out to Kirtland AFB.  That was 2005 or 2006.

When he got there, he asked to get a NMWG Form 5 in their T-34.  They hesitated until he told them he had gotten his Commercial in a T-34B out of Willow Grove (I signed his FAA Form 8710) and his CFI.

Joe went on to become NMWG Wing D.O., and left Albuquerque about 2 years ago.

ol'fido

Is there a way to check on aircraft that have gone bye-bye? I would like to find out what happened to the O-1 that stationed at Benton, IL in the late 70's early 80's. Sounds like a project for Team CAP.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

FW

Quote from: DG on April 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM

Colonel,

When our own Joe Friel graduated from Notre Dame with a BS in Electical Engineering, he was commissioned a 2nd Lt. (ROTC) and went out to Kirtland AFB.  That was 2005 or 2006.

When he got there, he asked to get a NMWG Form 5 in their T-34.  They hesitated until he told them he had gotten his Commercial in a T-34B out of Willow Grove (I signed his FAA Form 8710) and his CFI.

I'm only off by 5 or so years.   Dementia is only in beginning phases...... ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on April 07, 2011, 01:11:40 AM
Is there a way to check on aircraft that have gone bye-bye? I would like to find out what happened to the O-1 that stationed at Benton, IL in the late 70's early 80's. Sounds like a project for Team CAP.

Got a tail number? If so, you might be able to look it up in the FAA data base. If the # doesn't cross to the correct type a/c, then it's probably scrap, or possibly a museum piece.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DG

Quote from: FW on April 07, 2011, 02:09:40 AM
Quote from: DG on April 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM

Colonel,

I'm only off by 5 or so years.   Dementia is only in beginning phases...... ;D

And the Willow Grove Navy Flying Club T-34B's were flying at WGNAS NXX until last Fall, 2010.

Because of the BRAC closing of the Navy side of WG NAS, the T-34's were reassigned out of NXX.  But they are still flying, because they had the wing spar AD's work done.

SHARKMAN

The last T-34 was N422NM in New Mexico. It was sold to a private owner in Arizona.