SM Orientation class (beyond Level 1)

Started by WheelsUp, April 17, 2010, 11:40:46 PM

WheelsUp

Greetings, all:

Our wing is holding a Cadet "Great Start" program soon, and there's been some discussion about having a similar program for Senior Members with less than 6 months in CAP.

What I envision is an eight-hour course, every six months or so, covering all the basics: Specialty Tracks, professional development, where to find various training resources, use of eServices, chain of command/unit structure, and so forth.

It's been my experience that many SMs - even those of us with military experience - are pretty lost during their first year or so, and there really seems to be no central source for getting a person on track.

It's my belief that conducting such a course will speed up a new SM's development, keep him/her interested longer, and therefore increase retention (perhaps even recruiting).

Does anyone out there conduct such training (at Wing or Squadron level)? What were the results? Has National HQ ever tried to devise a similar program?

I'm sure I'm repeating a thread somewhere in CAPTalk, but it's definitely worth discussing again, IMHO.

All comments and suggestions (and supporting documents) would be much appreciated. Thanks.
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

JC004

I conducted the cadet program - before the Great Start thing existed.  We developed the curriculum from the ground up some years ago.  For the senior thing, though, I ran a modified SLS and made the curriculum to my liking.

EMT-83

I cover those topics as part of Level 1, using the Senior Member Fast Start Handbook (CAPP 7) as a guide. You can do it in one evening, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Here's the format I use: each new member gets a binder with a welcome letter, squadron org chart, the Foundations course, CPPT material and Fast Start. Also included are instructions on setting up an eServices account and how to complete OPSEC and EO on-line. They are asked to read the material, take the enclosed quizzes and return to the squadron. We review the quizzes, view the CPPT slides, talk about Specialty Tracks, Professional Development and where they can fit into the program. CAPR 50-17 has a chart which can be used to show progression.

I believe that it's important to instill the attitude that members are expected to work hard and actively participate in the squadron (and not merely show up) from the first day. Additionally, don't just tell them to go on-line and find the material they need. Take the time to write it down for them – such as where GES and NIMS tests are found, and how to take them. Have your "Welcome to CAP, here's what's expected of new members" package ready all ready, so you don't have to make it up as you go along.

NIN

Many centuries ago, whilst the earth was still cooling, I floated the idea of a "weekend long Level I" course.

The idea was to use the very small, self contained National Guard training facility that we use for our encampments, and pair up newby SMs with experienced SMs/former military SMs and use the entire weekend for some tutelage & mentoring. 

Some broad strokes:

Drill: 3-4 hrs of drill, with emphasis on saluting, reporting, and circumstances in which officers are in saluting/drill situations.
Organization: An in-depth explanation of how the military works (organizationally) and how CAP works (organizationally)
Uniforms: BDUs, blues, aviators, etc.  All of 'em. Worn. Demonstrated, tips, tricks, boot polishing, etc. (we had envisioned that we'd find some good "military movies" and the evenings, both Friday night and Saturday night would be spent in in a mentor/mentee situation, in front of the tube, polishing shoes & boots and setting up uniforms, passing along tips, etc)
Leadership:  Solid, officer-level leadership teachings.  3-4 hrs of that broken up over 2 days in 3-4 subject area groups.
Counseling: How to counsel (in a military corrective behavior sense) people.  1 hr or so
Unit Management: 1-2 hrs on how units work.
Recruiting: How to recruit, why its a constant process, etc
Cadet programs :  What the CP is all about and why its probably more important than the other two missions in terms of the folks it supports and the people involved in it. 2+ hrs.

There were some other things. We called it "Level One Plus."  My old good friend, the late dear departed Kevin Adams from Michigan Wing, had a similar idea he called "ELITE" (Entry Level Initial Training Exercise)  (Kevin called everything "Elite" if he could.. he'd make up words just to fit the acronyms.)

(I presented this concept as an idea in 2004 when my wing commander asked me what I wanted to do after I handed over my squadron that next month. I said "I'd love to do senior training, ma'am, and here's why..." and after I got done she said "Thats great.  We need an assistant emergency services officer.."   Suffice to say, I took neither...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.