Communications Track

Started by glm705, February 19, 2019, 08:17:05 PM

glm705

CAPR 100-1 says:
QuoteCadets are encouraged to pursue each level of the communicator badges. To do so, cadets must meet all the training requirements listed in the appropriate section of CAPP 214 with the exception of the portions specifically intended for the senior member training program.

What of the following do you consider to be "specifically intended for the senior member training program":

• Pass the Technician level Communications Officer test.
  • Complete ICUT
  • Demonstrate radiotelephone procedures, message format, distress and emergency communications, and communications safety.
  • Demonstrate knowledge of radio station types, call signs, functional designators, and authorization procedures to OJT Supervisor
  • Be familiar with the publications listed on page 6
  • Attend a minimum of one group, wing or region sanctioned communications meeting, Conducted IAW CAPR 100-1.
  • Participate in one mission (8 hours minimum) in any communications capacity or participate in one communication exercise sanctioned by the Wing Director of Communications.
  • Complete NIMS courses IS 100, 200, 700, and 800.
  • Serve with 6 months experience as a unit/assistant unit communications officer.
I swear to god if you say the Technician Level Test is one of them, I'm gonna smash my head through a wall because I took the test last night at midnight and couldn't sleep because I had a headache until 3am.  :)
Regulation Nerd and PA Geek

jeders

That refers to Level 1 which cadets cannot do.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

glm705

Quote from: jeders on February 19, 2019, 08:54:39 PM
That refers to Level 1 which cadets cannot do.

What? Cadets can do all 3 levels of the Comms specialty track and there's no way that's about another specialty track because CAPR 100-1 is all about comms.

Eclipse

Cadets cannot complete Level I of the Senior Program, they cannot be the Primary or Assistant for a squadron
for any staff role, and they can't be issued comm equipment (I don't think).

Cadets can complete most of the requirements and earn the badge, but they do not earn the rating.

"That Others May Zoom"

glm705

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2019, 09:10:54 PM
They cannot be the Prtimary or Assistant for a squadron for any staff role
For that you could possibly make them a Cadet comms officer/NCO.

TheSkyHornet

As Eclipse said...you're confusing the badge with the rating. If you complete the requirements of the Technician Rating, minus the senior-specific stuff (things cadets literally cannot do), then you can wear the Tech badge. But you will not hold the rating until you become a senior member.

For the Technician Rating, that's basically anything except for serving in a senior member duty position (the 6-month staff service requirement).

Quote from: glm705 on February 19, 2019, 09:15:29 PM
They cannot be the Prtimary or Assistant for a squadron for any staff role
For that you could possibly make them a Cadet comms officer/NCO.

That does not count in a technical sense. When referring to "unit xxxxxx officer," they mean senior member.

Holding Pattern

Cadets cannot complete Level I of the Senior Program, they cannot be the Primary or Assistant for a squadron
for any staff role, and they can't be issued comm equipment (I don't think).

Cadets can complete most of the requirements and earn the badge, but they do not earn the rating.

Cadets can be issued comms equipment.

Citation: I pulled a cadet's radio back into inventory 2 months ago when he brought it in and said he no longer had availability to check in on the weekly nets.

Eclipse

I knew there was an "issue" with issuing CAP property to cadets.

CAPR 174-1, Page 11:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R174_001_F7C3242683CC7.pdf

"c. Since minors (individuals under the age of 18 years) cannot legally obligate themselves,
when non-expendable property is to be issued to an individual under the age of 18, ORMS will
generate a property receipt to be co-signed by the individual's parent(s) or legal guardian(s). When
the signed property receipt is received and scanned into ORMS, the property issue transaction will be
completed. Following these guidelines, individuals under the age of 18 years are not permitted to
hold logistics, supply, transportation or communications duty positions that include ORMS
permissions to transfer, issue or assign property."

The above also indicates the limitation with being posted as a CommO.

The requirement that parents sign for the gear isn't a prohibition, per se, but one more
step (probably ignored / unaware in many areas).

"That Others May Zoom"