Main Menu

National commanders

Started by darkmatter, July 17, 2018, 12:42:11 AM

darkmatter

What happens to the national commanders after their tenure is over? Do they stay at nation as advisers to the current commander, or do they go back to their regions? There's no information that I can find on where they go or what their up too it's just like they up and vanish.

FW

Good question.  Former National Commanders (usually) get Life Membership, another DSM, and are appointed to the National Commander's Advisory Committee.  Then they are never heard from again...  >:D

NIN

Quote from: FW on July 17, 2018, 12:59:24 AM
Then they are never heard from again...  >:D

Next time I'm having lunch with General Courter, I'll be sure to remind her to keep a low profile.  :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 12:42:11 AMDo they stay at nation as advisers to the current commander, or do they go back to their regions?

Yes.  They are just like any other members who are done with a Command or assignment, just with a broader scope then
most.

Generally they continue to participate in ES, Encampments, etc., like anyone else.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

FW is there really a national commanders advisory committee? 

Ozzy

Well there was one that left and started up the US Ranger Corps...  >:D
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

darkmatter

Quote from: Ozzy on July 17, 2018, 02:21:47 AM

thought we filled him under the do not speak of section of CAP by laws  ;D

Brad

I thought they get stuck making videos we have to watch and rewatch, like Aircraft Ground Handling. :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Slim

Not sure how active Gen Courter is at the moment, having just moved from the east side of Michigan to the west.  She's always been willing to show up at events she's been invited to, but doesn't like to show up unannounced to help avoid any protocol faux pas.
I also believe Gen Vasquez has been teaching at one of the flight academies on the east coast the last couple of years.

Slim

ColonelJack

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:25:41 AM
Quote from: Ozzy on July 17, 2018, 02:21:47 AM

thought we filled him under the do not speak of section of CAP by laws  ;D

HWSRN (He Who Shall Remain Nameless)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

dwb

Quote from: Slim on July 17, 2018, 09:10:23 AM
I also believe Gen Vasquez has been teaching at one of the flight academies on the east coast the last couple of years.

Yup. Gen Vasquez is still an active pilot, and a regular participant in VAWG activities. Gen Anderson is also here, but he's busy in his non-CAP life so his CAP participation is more limited. Both are really good and decent people and I'm glad I get to rub elbows with them on occasion.

@OP, national commanders are just people. They find other ways to participate, usually in less stressful roles that focus on their personal interests.

CAPOfficer

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:13:29 AM

Yes, however, they are called the National Advisory Council and they have a coin which they can award to members they feel warrant recognition.

MSG Mac

Many National Commanders have continued to serve.
BG Brookfield went back to CAWG and became a Squadron Commander
BG Cass became a Group Chaplain in Florida
MG Wheless became the Legal Officer for MER and National Legal Officer

Most keep a low profile so as not to distract from the incumbent.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

They write books, go on tours, and work for the CIA...  :-X

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: CAPOfficer on July 17, 2018, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:13:29 AM

Yes, however, they are called the National Advisory Council and they have a coin which they can award to members they feel warrant recognition.
To be more serious, many former national commanders (like other subordinate commanders) remain active and still make a difference.  Gen Anderson, and Gen Bowling served distinguished terms on the BoG. Gen Wheless became the National Legal Officer (2nd time), Gen Courter has filled in as Chair of IACE.   All (still living) former National Commanders serve on the National Advisory Committee, and are available to guide the current NC should the need arise.

Spam

Nose down multi ship assault profiles? I think not!
I love the little DVE cloud, though!

NSDQ!
Spam

Johnny Yuma

As part of the recent upgrades to NHQ they renovated the basement of the building to serve as a retirement facility, complete with large cadaver reefers and crematory...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

CAP_truth

They keep the same pay forever and go out on the speaker tours.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

NIN

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on July 24, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
As part of the recent upgrades to NHQ they renovated the basement of the building to serve as a retirement facility, complete with large cadaver reefers and crematory...

You know that HQ used to be the base hospital, right?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: NIN on July 25, 2018, 12:21:51 PM

I have two cousins who were born in that hospital.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Cadetter

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on July 25, 2018, 01:13:04 PM

I assumed that NHQ would be really huge when I heard it had been the base hospital. It seemed so small, at least the areas we visited during COS  8)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

How much bigger did you expect?

It's not exactly a Quonset hut.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I was just there two weeks ago. It's pretty nice.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

And it did have a morgue. . .

PHall

Quote from: Cadetter on July 25, 2018, 08:59:58 PM
Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on July 25, 2018, 01:13:04 PM

I assumed that NHQ would be really huge when I heard it had been the base hospital. It seemed so small, at least the areas we visited during COS  8)

Hospitals in the 1930's weren't that big unless you were in a "major" city like New York or Boston.

etodd

Only 150 paid staff? How many actually at Hdqs?  Lots of elbow room in that large building.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Quote from: PHall on July 26, 2018, 12:18:24 AM
And it did have a morgue. . .

Which is now a break room. That nobody uses.  ;)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on July 26, 2018, 12:35:14 AM
Only 150 paid staff? How many actually at Hdqs?  Lots of elbow room in that large building.

As you look at the front of the building, the left side is HQ CAP-USAF, with mostly AD USAF folks in the offices. The right side is HQ CAP, with our paid staff in there. There are a couple of offices available for CAP/CC and CAP/CV when they are in town. Yes, there is a lot of elbow room, and space for additional staff if more funding magically appears.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

In the 20+ years that I have been a member,  I can recall at least 3 major downsizings of paid staff. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadetter on July 25, 2018, 08:59:58 PM

Most of the mission in CAP isn't housed at NHQ; it's at the Wing and local levels. It's not going to be a 30-story office complex or grand palace.

That's actually a pretty average-sized building, if not bigger, than most other major command headquarters. Our base operations command center was a single floor of maybe 5,000 square feet below a bunch of classrooms and small staff offices. It was a giant cubicle.

People generally equate military, or Air Force for that matter, to those dim, ultra-violet lit rooms with Plexiglas drawing boards and giant TV screens. Try going to an operations support office and see what the budget really looks like... (cardboard walls, missing doors, looks like the place was built and 1950 and never vacuumed once).

Eclipse

How most new cadets picture NHQ:

How most seasoned senior members picture NHQ:

The reality:

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

That last picture isn't 39-1 compliant.

*ducks*

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on July 26, 2018, 07:18:46 PM
That last picture isn't 39-1 compliant.

*ducks*

That is John Salvador the COO, as an HQ employee, he isn't bound by 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

That photo is taken in the National Operations Center.

Which as Eclipse pointed out, envisioned in your head to be like the inside of Cheyenne Mountain. And its just 4 cubicle desks in the basement of the building across from HQ. And the ceilings are *low*.

(Mr Salvador is a tall man. If I were as tall as he is, I'd be reflexively ducking because of "crowding")
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Castle Bravo

How long are National Commanders the National Commander? Is it specified or just whenever they need to change.

Eclipse

Quote from: Castle Bravo on July 27, 2018, 10:19:59 PM
How long are National Commanders the National Commander? Is it specified or just whenever they need to change.

CAP Constitution and Bylaws, Page 8
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAP_Constitution_Bylaws_4BC09E935985F.pdf
"a. The National Commander shall serve a three-year (3) term of office which may be extended up to
an additional one (1) to three (3) years at the election of the Board of Governors. The term (or any
renewal term, if applicable) shall commence on the date determined by the Board of Governors, and
conclude three (3) years later. In the event of death, resignation, or removal of the National Commander,
the Chief Operating Officer shall assume the Chief Executive Officer responsibilities regarding the
operation and daily administration of the Corporation until the Board of Governors has selected a new
National Commander, which shall occur posthaste but not later than one hundred and twenty (120) days
from removal. The National Commander shall serve in the grade of Major General."

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Castle Bravo on July 27, 2018, 10:19:59 PM

Per CAPR R20-1(I), Interim Change Letter, 17 November 2015

1. CAPR 20-1 is currently undergoing revision as a part of the publications reengineering
project. This interim change letter will remain in effect until such time as the new CAPR 20-1
is complete and published.

2. CAPR 20-1 is immediately changed as follows (change is highlighted):Paragraph 14b, Wing commanders are appointed by the region commanders and have
command authority over all CAP units, and members within their respective wings. Wing
commanders shall serve a four-year term of office. The region commander may grant an
additional one-year term with the concurrence of the National Commander. When it is
necessary to appoint a new wing commander, the region commander will follow the
procedures outlined in CAPR 35-9 before consulting with the National Commander and
notifying National Headquarters/DP so the appointment can be announced in published
personnel actions. The region commander is also responsible for notifying the wing
commanders concerned (both the new commander and the commander being replaced).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired