The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

PHall

[with tongue firmly in cheek]

But you don't have your charter number on it! :o

[tongue removed from cheek]

Hill CAP

St Augustine Senior Squadron is making the change from a Senior Squadron to a Composite Squadron so time to redesign our patch.

I would like to thank Capt Chuck Corway for his hard work on this patch. We designated that we wanted the St Augustine Lighthouse and the GA-8 Airvan.  left the rest up to the good Capt.

This is the first design and is being submitted to the Sq Commander next Week. Some changes may be made

Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Lancer

Quote from: FLCAP 834 on May 29, 2009, 02:52:42 PM

Not bad at all, nice elements, good work Capt Corway.

Some suggestions though. Shrink the rockers down, about a 1/3, that way they are a little more proportional with the center circle.

Also, have someone render the image of the lighthouse so the perspective is straight on. With the way it is now, the image gives you the idea that you are looking up at it, and then when you have the GA-8, it's a perfect side view; kind of hard on the eyes. Either that or change the GA-8 so it's matching the orientation of the lighthouse.

The field could use a couple more elements. Consider more of the area's history, which seems rich according to what I just researched, add a few more nautical elements, such as nautical stars, or canon's from 1800 era ships.

My .02 cents.

AlphaSigOU

Thanks for the suggestions... As it was mentioned it's still a work in progress, and may change after review.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Ozzy

How about an alternative wing patch? NYWg members that complete LIGSAR School can wear the patch in place of the NY Wing patch.

My squadron's patch though is pretty standard and clean cut... :
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Cecil DP

Quote from: Lancer on May 21, 2009, 02:38:44 PM
'Fresh off the boat' from Hong Kong!  ;D Got them through Patches4Less.... great price and Luke is a great guy to deal with, I'll be working with them again!

They look so much better in person, the material really shimmers in the light! I'm happy!

But Hong Kong is in a Communist Country!!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BrandonKea

Ozzy, that LIGSAR patch is pretty sweet, you have any laying around you'd be willing to swap for?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

RiverAux

St Augustine Senior Squadron is making the change from a Senior Squadron to a Composite Squadron so time to redesign our patch.

I would like to thank Capt Chuck Corway for his hard work on this patch. We designated that we wanted the St Augustine Lighthouse and the GA-8 Airvan.  left the rest up to the good Capt.

This is the first design and is being submitted to the Sq Commander next Week. Some changes may be made

Maybe its just me, but I would point the airplane in the opposite direction.  For some reason I get the impression it is flying in the "wrong" direction. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: RiverAux on June 13, 2009, 03:53:25 PM

Maybe its just me, but I would point the airplane in the opposite direction.  For some reason I get the impression it is flying in the "wrong" direction.

The Airport is North of the lighthouse
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BTCS1*

Quote from: Ozzy on June 13, 2009, 12:47:31 AM
How about an alternative wing patch? NYWg members that complete LIGSAR School can wear the patch in place of the NY Wing patch.

My squadron's patch though is pretty standard and clean cut... :

I LOVE THIS PATCH! LOL. Can it replace the NYWG patch in NYCG as well as LIG? I was planing on going next year if i can.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Ozzy

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 13, 2009, 02:09:16 AM
Ozzy, that LIGSAR patch is pretty sweet, you have any laying around you'd be willing to swap for?
I'll see if I can find one. I personally don't have one myself, I haven't been able to get to a LIGSAR academy... it's always been during some event or class I have to do. However, once I get one that I wouldn't be posting on my uniform, I'll send one to you.

My little joke about the patch is that since NYWg's patch doesn't have Long Island on it (Take a look!) We, at LI group decided to succeed from New York and make our own wing! We do have enough cadets, seniors, and the structure to do it :-) And We'd actually would probably be bigger then some wings already  ;)
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

PHall

Quote from: Ozzy on June 13, 2009, 09:04:34 PM
Quote from: BrandonKea on June 13, 2009, 02:09:16 AM
I'll see if I can find one. I personally don't have one myself, I haven't been able to get to a LIGSAR academy... it's always been during some event or class I have to do. However, once I get one that I wouldn't be posting on my uniform, I'll send one to you.

My little joke about the patch is that since NYWg's patch doesn't have Long Island on it (Take a look!) We, at LI group decided to succeed from New York and make our own wing! We do have enough cadets, seniors, and the structure to do it :-) And We'd actually would probably be bigger then some wings already  ;)

You can really mess with their heads and become the Long Island Group 8 of California Wing! ;)

BTCS1*

LI isn't  on the NYWG patch? I think its on mine, maybe they modified it.

DC

Where did you get yours? The one Vanguard sells doesn't have Long Island, see link:

http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=7158

BTCS1*

Vanguard, must be imagining it, so used to seeing maps of NY with LI. And LIG better not leave us! ISP is practicly the CAP ES capital of NY!

Gunner C

Quote from: Ozzy on June 13, 2009, 12:47:31 AM

Group and above should be a shield with a scroll underneath.  But that's only if you're going to follow the AF heraldry that's been talked about before in this thread.

fyrfitrmedic

The shape and color scheme of the LIGSAR patch kinda remind me of NJWG's GSAR parch. The AFRCC angel is a nice touch, IMHO.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

suldjerboybishop

So in know this may be tooting my own squadron's horn a little bit, but SWR-TX-388, or Phoenix Composite of Fort Worth, Texas, has an outstanding patch that actually depicts the squadron. The patch has the shape of Texas with the mythical Phoenix rising from the ashes on it. This is really what our squadron has done in the last year or two. I just thought I'd throw that out there to give our squadron a little bit of popularity on CAP Talk.

http://incountry.us/cappatches/TX/notmine/tx388.jpg

--
           Best Regards,
           C/SSgt, Daniel Bishop
           Bravo 1st EL, Personnel Officer
           TX388 Phoenix Composite Sq.,
           Group II, Texas Wing,
           SW Region, Civil Air Patrol

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: suldjerboybishop on June 14, 2009, 06:40:47 PM
...with the mythical Phoenix rising from the ashes on it. This is really what our squadron has done in the last year or two.

That was the main focus on my original squadron's patch -- for the same reason, as well.  The squadron went through a large period of inactivity, and was later revamped (went as far as to earn some pretty high honors within the wing).

alamrcn

Quote from: suldjerboybishop on June 14, 2009, 06:40:47 PMSWR-TX-388, or Phoenix Composite of Fort Worth, Texas, has an outstanding patch
Can you hook a brother up with a copy? I've only found the image you linked to so far, and I'd love to preserve an actual copy!

Here's roughly what the New York Wing patch would look like IF Long Island were included...

Sadly, the LI area has never appeared in the the map outline on any documented patch. For what it's worth, here is the NYWG patch's history if you've never read it: http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/NY/nywg.html

Some folks in New Jersey are also used to being slighted in this manner, as finding a NJWG patch that includes Cape May and the peninsula area at the bottom of the map is very difficult. Here is one...

I was gulity in creating a collector's patch back in '97 including a map of Minnesota that was missing the Lake of the Woods area - aka the "chimney"...

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota