Off-topic uniform rants

Started by LSThiker, May 07, 2018, 03:49:37 AM

LSThiker

Quote from: mdickinson on May 07, 2018, 01:43:12 AM
You wouldn't think it would be an issue. But who else here has taken a checkride from a CAP check pilot that was in an incomplete uniform?

Not to call out a minor thing, but if any one has an ear of the National Commander, can someone please tell him that his Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait) and the Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) are in the wrong spot. 

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on May 07, 2018, 03:49:37 AM
You wouldn't think it would be an issue. But who else here has taken a checkride from a CAP check pilot that was in an incomplete uniform?

Not to call out a minor thing, but if any one has an ear of the National Commander, can someone please tell him that his Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait) and the Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) are in the wrong spot.

Why not tell him yourself? Just send him an e-mail.

THRAWN

But they're not. They're foreign awards and go at the bottom of the stack. Check 39-3.

Quote from: LSThiker on May 07, 2018, 03:49:37 AM

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

cnitas

Derail incoming...
CAPM 39-1
11.2. Wear of Awards.
11.2.1. Precedence. The general order of precedence for wear of awards is 1) US Federal Awards,
2) CAP Awards, 3) JROTC/ROTC awards, and 4) Foreign Awards.

In the latest official photo I see online, it looks ok to me.  Both Lib of Kuwait - SA, and Kuwait being foreign awards, are at the bottom.

I hope you enjoyed your uniform fix...please carry on.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

LSThiker

Quote from: THRAWN on May 07, 2018, 02:43:39 PM
But they're not. They're foreign awards and go at the bottom of the stack. Check 39-3.

Duh, I always forget they are foreign awards.  Thanks.

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on May 07, 2018, 03:32:46 PM

RTFM before you post...

THRAWN

But then whatever would we discuss?

Quote from: PHall on May 07, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on May 07, 2018, 03:32:46 PM

RTFM before you post...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on May 07, 2018, 05:34:25 PM

Indeed. It only took two pages for this thread on pilots/planes/accidents ...  to get sidetracked to how a badge should be worn on a uniform.

I guess the number of airplane incidents would drop, if folks would just get their ribbons and badges placed correctly.  >:D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on May 07, 2018, 07:05:22 PM

Indeed. It only took two pages for this thread on pilots/planes/accidents ...  to get sidetracked to how a badge should be worn on a uniform.

I guess the number of airplane incidents would drop, if folks would just get their ribbons and badges placed correctly.  >:D

It's called attention to detail and it applies to many things. Uniforms, chart reading, flying...

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on May 08, 2018, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: etodd on May 07, 2018, 07:05:22 PM

It's called attention to detail and it applies to many things. Uniforms, chart reading, flying...

I concur here.

Safety is a reactive and proactive arena.

For example:
An aircraft preflight is proactive. You are performing a check to see if any hazards exist that are abnormal/irregular. Now that you have found a hazard, be reactive and address it---through proper protocols.

Here's a scenario:
A person wakes up at 0600. They grab a cup of coffee, shower, get dressed, head to work. They're out the door at 1700 to rush home, change, and head to their CAP meeting which starts at 1830. They're on a time constraint; it's getting dark. Their uniform is all jacked up; the cadets notice, but nobody says anything to the person. Patches out of place, one boot isn't laced up all the way; tomato paste on white bread looks better. But they're a good pilot. 500 hours, no incidents, IFR-rated. Time to start the pre-brief, the preflight, and get out before it gets too late. Weather looks perfect, aircraft looks good. It would probably help to remove that chalk before you try to push the plane out. It happens. Good start, good run-up. A no-issue flight. Taxiing back in....CLUNK. The wing tip just clipped the van; it was moved closer to the hangar to unload some gear from last weekend's training exercise. It isn't usually parked there.

Looking sloppy is a sign of rushing. When you rush, you start to make mistakes. No, a sloppy uniform is not causation to an aircraft accident. They're correlated in the sense of not paying attention. And blowing it off---"Meh, who cares? The regulation says uniforms. Jeans and a t-shirt are fine"---becomes complacency and carelessness.

If they're disregarded that simple reg, what else are they disregarding?

It's unprofessional. And unprofessional equals unsafe.

LSThiker

Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2018, 10:48:23 PM
The off-topic uniform nonsense got moved to its own topic.  ::)

Actually, it was a calculated move, which has demonstrated a point:  The knee jerk reactions by members of CAP.

We are all too quick to chastise others but fail to see the whole picture and differentiate honest mistakes from the level of severity of disregarding the rules. 

We can throw "attention to detail" and "professionalism" around all day but what does that really mean?  Where do we draw the line on this slippery slope? 

If a member cannot wear the uniform properly, does that really mean they cannot fly the aircraft correctly?  I think we are making some large generalizations while we can cite anecdotal evidence to support our claims.  But does not mean it is true?  Is it true for uniforms?  What about CAPF 2a?  Rank abbreviations?  Failing to hold to attention to detail, does this mean the pilot is disregarding other rules?

Or is there an acceptable balance that really needs to be struck?   

QuoteIf they're disregarded that simple reg, what else are they disregarding?

Obviously a member that disregards the rules should be immediately grounded.  They are no longer being professional and are thus unsafe.  Like all the great military, CAP, civilian leaders that just disregarded that driving law today.  Where do we draw the line on this, though?  Do we not see the irony in this sentiment?  We named an award after an aviator that disregarded the rules to prove a point.  But we ignore that because he was right (which I agree were bad rules designed to make him fail). 

Is it not possible that yes that pilot is a darn great pilot even if his boots are not properly laced?

Or have we gotten to the point we are scared of our own shadow?

I agree with Gen Smith and hope a change for the better can be made.

etodd

Everyone's points above are all good and correct.

I just like to simplify things.

By wearing the bare minimum Polo outfit ... I have eliminated maybe 50 things on the checklist to worry about.

And THAT means I can concentrate on the aircraft checklist and not be sitting there worrying whether that patch on my shoulder is slightly off center and maybe I should get a better shine on my shoes.

Decreased work load equals better proficiency and safety.

CAP MANUAL 39-1 is 130 pages long of rules and regs that have nothing to do with SAR or Aerospace Education!  We should drop that down to a trifold pamphlet.

Eclipse

You're missing the points made about joining the organization and not just the
one department you like.

In any number of threads you've made proud points about owning the MBU but never wearing it
like that's some how a good thing.

CAP doesn't need "pilots", it needs "members".  Members who fully participate and who don't fall back on
"well no one at my unit has ever said anything", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Edit: deleted because of a quoting error - my follow-up fell out of context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2018, 08:12:41 PM
You're missing the points made about joining the organization and not just the
one department you like.

In any number of threads you've made proud points about owning the MBU but never wearing it
like that's some how a good thing.

CAP doesn't need "pilots", it needs "members".  Members who fully participate and who don't fall back on
"well no one at my unit has ever said anything", etc.

This.

A member is not just someone who paid their dues and does whatever they feel like. It's someone who assimilates and conforms to the standards set.

Quote from: LSThiker on May 08, 2018, 06:07:16 PM

QuoteIf they're disregarded that simple reg, what else are they disregarding?

Obviously a member that disregards the rules should be immediately grounded.  They are no longer being professional and are thus unsafe.  Like all the great military, CAP, civilian leaders that just disregarded that driving law today.  Where do we draw the line on this, though?  Do we not see the irony in this sentiment?  We named an award after an aviator that disregarded the rules to prove a point.  But we ignore that because he was right (which I agree were bad rules designed to make him fail). 

Is it not possible that yes that pilot is a darn great pilot even if his boots are not properly laced?

Or have we gotten to the point we are scared of our own shadow?

I agree with Gen Smith and hope a change for the better can be made.

That's an oversimplification of what I said.

Someone who flat out doesn't care about their appearance (i.e., doesn't know the difference; doesn't give a hoot) shouldn't be behind the controls of a CAP aircraft---I'm speaking philosophically here. It's one thing to cut corners because there's an emergency and we really don't care what the reg says right now; we have to handle the crisis. It's another to not care what the reg says under normal operating conditions.

Starting the engine, conducting the flight, and landing back on the ground is not the only aspect of flight operations here. The uniform, whether an FDU, ABU, or polo, is not there to necessarily save your life and make your flight easier. It's to provide a disciplined bearing and appearance of professional in the overall CAP operation. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have uniforms; we'd show up in shorts and t-shirts like I do when I fly GA on my own time. But I'm not on my own time when I'm at a CAP event. It's a job, one that has standards attached to it. I don't have the option to disregard them just because they're inconvenient or I'm too clueless to learn them.

etodd

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 10, 2018, 08:21:08 PM

A member is not just someone who paid their dues and does whatever they feel like. It's someone who assimilates and conforms to the standards set.

Me? I've always conformed to everything asked of me. Am involved not just with ES but with the Cadets as well. Going Saturday to help "another" squadron fly 42 Cadets.

EMT-83

Whoa, wait - a uniform thread drifting into safety? Say it isn't so.

arajca

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 11, 2018, 01:13:12 PM
Whoa, wait - a uniform thread drifting into safety? Say it isn't so.
It's so. To paraphrase Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 76 - Every now and then change a uniform thread into something else. It confuses the heck out of the people.

>:D

Luis R. Ramos

Its so.

Since other topics morph into other stuff, uniform topics cannot morph into uniform topics. So they morph into something else.

By the way-morphed to tywo different topics.

First Safety, then Cadet Programs.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

chuckmilam

Fear not, as with all threads, it will (re)turn into a uniform debate in time.