Main Menu

CAP Discounts?

Started by Hoorah, May 10, 2009, 09:56:20 PM

Short Field

^^^ So the military members are not really military members??  And anyone who does join and doesn't donate their paycheck to the Red Cross is ONLY motivated by money??  Sorry Spike, but if the military was only composed of people who could donate their paycheck to charity, it would be a mighty small military composed of the rich.

RADIOMAN015 said it right.   :clap:

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Stonewall

I think military members are compensated nicely.  Did you know that you can join the Air Guard right now and get a $20,000 signing bonus?  And, your college tuition paid in full?  All that and you only have to show up one weekend a month; two weeks a year. 

The sad part is, I witness punk-ass kids still complain.  Not just one or two, but most.  I am the only one in my squadron who didn't get a bonus for enlisting.  THE ONLY ONE!!!  It's because I transfered from another state.  There are people trying to figure ways out left and right, but the Guard doesn't do anything to get their money back.

Deployment?  Yep, BTDT.  I witnessed a large percentage of highly paid "volunteers" make every excuse to get out of deployment; some succesfully.  #1 reason (excuse) was "I'm in college".  The same people who b*tch about having to show up one weekend a month after depositing that bonus check and being paid for quality training, not to mention all the other perks, are the same ones who hit the door running when deployments come up.

My supervisor in the Guard has been in 21 years.  He has gotten a bonus EVERY SINGLE TIME and has never, not once, stepped one foot outside of the US.  And yes, he is proud of this. 

My point is this.   CAP members do in fact make sacrifices.  Voluntary sacrifices with little to no compensation.  In fact, in most cases, they use their own funds and don't get reimbursed.  Military members volunteer to join, but once in, are well compensated for the job they do.  When a majority of troops are non-combat oriented; have 9 to 5 jobs, travel the world, get medical benefits, tax free shopping, retirement after 20, 30 days of paid vacation, bonuses, paid training, given a housing allowance and more job security than any civilian out there; yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good gig, the military.  And then on top of all these great things, they're often afforded a military discount.  And while I don't advocate CAP or military mebers alike demanding discounts, I am still 100% cool with a CAP member asking if a "military discount" encompasses CAP, as the AF's auxiliary.

Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

Well said, Colonel!  :clap:

I won't troll for military discounts out on civvy street either, but if one is offered to me while in uniform I won't turn it down.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on May 19, 2009, 08:20:04 PM
^^^ So the military members are not really military members??  And anyone who does join and doesn't donate their paycheck to the Red Cross is ONLY motivated by money??  Sorry Spike, but if the military was only composed of people who could donate their paycheck to charity, it would be a mighty small military composed of the rich.

Please reread my post.  Those things that look like this "?" means I am asking a question. 

I never once said "military members are not real military members".  How can you conclude that is what I was saying. 

All I wanted to get across was that we throw out the term "volunteer" very loosely and some use it in different context than what it means.

I also am not a fan of those that drop the "should just join the military" response, when responding to threads like this.  It shows how much they truly DO NOT KNOW.

Everyone in the military get so many benefits already, why should they care if a CAP member also gets the "home depot 10% discount" too?

I just don't get it.

One final thought on this subject..... we are still in the fallout time frame from 9/11, give it a few more years, and more economic and political turmoil and watch how Americans generosity and kindness towards the military falls away.  Historically after any war, the American public shows great gratitude toward the Armed Forces, but it always diminishes the further we move away from the date of hostilities.

So take your free coffees and discounts on your cigarettes, because before you know it, you will find such generous acts far and few between. 

I never once have taken a discount or a free meal.  I am an American Citizen, like every other American Citizen, and have a career like millions of other Americans.  I am no different than anyone else.  We have different jobs, but we each add to society, and are no more or less important than anyone else.

Lt Oliv

Now if this was pre-1901 and you joined your States "militia" (National Guard now) and did it because of desire to serve the local community and not get paid in the process (Militias did not get paid, unless ordered to Federal Service) I would believe you to be a TRUE VOLUNTEER.

I'd be careful here.  Some states still have militias independent of the National Guard (like New York, Texas, Ohio and, I believe, Virginia).  It is interesting to note that you can be a member of the New York Guard, wear a uniform very similar to the Army, work alongside the Army and NG, but...outside of the state of New York, you are not considered a veteran.

I wonder how those opposed to CAP receiving a "military discount" view members of such state militias doing the same.  Are they taking something away from Federalized Service members?

Short Field

Quote from: Spike on May 19, 2009, 10:38:40 PM
Everyone in the military get so many benefits already, why should they care if a CAP member also gets the "home depot 10% discount" too?

I just don't get it.

Yes, you don't get it.   :(
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on May 19, 2009, 11:25:38 PM
Yes, you don't get it.   :(

Don't be  :(  be  :D happy!

We just have different views.  Lets be happy that we are allowed to have differing views.

Now lets get to more interesting topics like what uniform we all should dislike this week or what Wing has a better Van.  I know....lets discuss why we shouldn't follow regulations and why Cadets are far more equipped to lead Ground teams.