Main Menu

CAP Discounts?

Started by Hoorah, May 10, 2009, 09:56:20 PM

Hoorah

Um I was wondering what companies, stores, etc gives discounts for CAP.
The only one I know about  is CAP Wireless.

Short Field

Go to Knowledgebase and search for "CAP discount" and you will get all the answers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish and you feed him for life.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Hoorah

DBlair

From what I've heard, people often extend military discounts to CAP members as well, so it might be useful to inquire whenever someplace advertises such a military discount being offered.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Pylon

Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless will give you a 15% - 20% discount on your personal cell phone bill if you belong to or work for certain corporations; my CAP membership card has gotten me a discount with both cell carriers. Though you may also want to check if your employer also qualifies you for a better discount.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

From what I've heard, those members seeking out military discounts just state that they are USAF Aux, and so it isn't technically that they are claiming to be military, but it is a bit of a grey area.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on May 10, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

If I'm doing something for myself or my work, I agree 100%, but if I'm on "CAP time" or the product or service is for CAP, I always ask.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: DBlair on May 10, 2009, 11:26:46 PM
From what I've heard, those members seeking out military discounts just state that they are USAF Aux, and so it isn't technically that they are claiming to be military, but it is a bit of a grey area.

Mumbling something about "USAF Aux" to get a military discount is dishonest.   One would be trying to secure a discount intended for military members (which CAP members, by simple virtue of being in CAP, are not) based on the hope that the cashier doesn't understand what CAP is and is not. 

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. I am getting confused. ??? Is it wrong to use your ID card to get Military Discounts? I mean, I don't see anything dishonest about it (Correct me if I'm wrong) but I do see the wrong in trying to brag about it when you use it.

"Oh yeah, I'm in CAP. Its in the Air Force" (Now that is wrong and is against core values) But I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PMBut I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Well, for one, its not a "military" ID card.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2009, 11:50:57 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on May 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PMBut I really don't see anything wrong with using your CAP Military ID Card for discounts that can save you some money during our rough economic times.

Well, for one, its not a "military" ID card.

Ok. My Bad. But I am just wondering if is ok to use it as a Military Discount? I really don't care but I am curious.  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

The way it was explained to me by a couple of members was that they feel that since we are volunteers, and since we "serve" our country in our own way, that there is no harm in asking. Apparently, they ask for discounts on anything from SAR stuff to auto service and use the fact that the "Active Member" part on the photo ID supposedly is confused with "Active Duty" by some merchants.

Personally, this is too much of a stretch for me. I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 12:02:31 AM
Personally, this is too much of a stretch for me. I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Yeah, I sorta agree with you.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Sadly, there will always be some joker who tries to game the system and buy 10 plasma TVs from the base exchange for eBay sale while on base at an encampment.

These people spoil it for the rest of us, most of whom would only use their discount(s) for legitimate CAP-related activities and expenses.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 11, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Sadly, there will always be some joker who tries to game the system and buy 10 plasma TVs from the base exchange for eBay sale while on base at an encampment.

These people spoil it for the rest of us, most of whom would only use their discount(s) for legitimate CAP-related activities and expenses.

CAP-related activities shouldn't get a "military" discount any more than personal CAP member purchases.  CAP is not military.  We are not entitled to military discounts by virtue of being CAP members.  If you take one by mumbling something about "USAF Aux" you're misleading the cashier into thinking you're military; 900 times out of 900, the cashier does not know what CAP is and is not.  And by accepting a discount to which you're not entitled, you're in a fairly morally gray area.  Not exactly setting a great example for our cadets and furthering the unfortunate "wanna-be-military" vibe that CAP already gives off by the bucket load.

Getting a non-profit organization discount, or being legally exempt from sales tax by virtue of being a 501(c)(3) organization are legitimate discounts that CAP should take advantage of when possible.

LtCol057

A few years ago when I was making reservations for a flight to NBB, the reservations clerk asked me if I was a member of CAP. When I said yes, she told me that I was able to get the military rate which was a little cheaper.  When I told her that I was NOT military (at that time), she told me that members of CAP could get the military rate because we were the aux of the USAF.  She seemed to be very familiar with CAP.  That was several years ago, willing to bet we're not eligible now. 

I've learned tho that sometimes when you ask for a discounted rate, like the gov rate, you're really going to pay more.  When I checked into a motel, I asked for the gov rate (I work for the feds).  Found out the next day, that I could have saved $8 by NOT asking for the gov rate. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: LtCol057 on May 11, 2009, 02:27:40 AM
A few years ago when I was making reservations for a flight to NBB, the reservations clerk asked me if I was a member of CAP. When I said yes, she told me that I was able to get the military rate which was a little cheaper.  When I told her that I was NOT military (at that time), she told me that members of CAP could get the military rate because we were the aux of the USAF.  She seemed to be very familiar with CAP.  That was several years ago, willing to bet we're not eligible now. 

I've learned tho that sometimes when you ask for a discounted rate, like the gov rate, you're really going to pay more.  When I checked into a motel, I asked for the gov rate (I work for the feds).  Found out the next day, that I could have saved $8 by NOT asking for the gov rate.

The Government rate means it's official travel and the costs are reimbursible.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Lord

I bought a generator from Kragens Auto  for an activity (while in CAP uniform) and they gave me the military discount. I tried to explain what CAP was, and their eyes just sort of glazed over.....Its sort of like when members of the pubic come up and thank you for your" service" ) Just accept it in good grace, because the people who really need to hear it don't hear it enough, and won't mind if its channeled via CAP.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Major Lord on May 11, 2009, 03:59:04 AM
I bought a generator from Kragens Auto  for an activity (while in CAP uniform) and they gave me the military discount. I tried to explain what CAP was, and their eyes just sort of glazed over.....Its sort of like when members of the pubic come up and thank you for your" service" ) Just accept it in good grace, because the people who really need to hear it don't hear it enough, and won't mind if its channeled via CAP.

Major Lord

I like how you put it that way.

Wright Brothers #13915

Spike

Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 12:02:31 AM
I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Well you already have a military ID Card....right?  Whats the big deal, you can use that.