lordmonar

And the date is 15 Jun 2016

OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, ALABAMA 36112-5937

4 May 2016

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP MEMBERS FROM: CAP/CC
SUBJECT:  CAP Transition to the Airman Battle Uniform (ABU)

1. I am pleased to announce that the Air Force has approved Civil Air Patrol's request to
transition to the Airman Battle Uniform. As the official auxiliary of the Air Force CAP has a long
history of wearing a USAF style uniform and our transition to the ABU once again brings us in line
with our parent service.

2. As a result of negotiations with the Army & Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES), CAP has also
been approved to receive a significant number of excess ABUs.  This will allow many CAP members to
receive the basic ABU shirt and pants at no cost. We are currently working with AAFES to take
possession of the excess uniforms and each Wing is establishing a distribution plan. We expect
these uniforms to be available to members in the field this summer.

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear the ABU
with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions. Vanguard will
begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) may
continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021. CAP will also begin to
transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of
15 June 2021.  Members are not required to change the tapes on existing uniforms until the
mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must match. The attached wear instructions
will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is
released.

3. If you have any comments or concerns, contact Ms Susan Parker, CAP/DP at (334) 953- 7748,
extension 212 or email sparker@capnhq.gov.

JOSEPH R. VAZQUEZ
Major General, CAP Commander

Atch
ABU Wear instructions
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Our long national nightmare is over.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

calebtornado12

Yes!! The Chaos is over!!!
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

Holding Pattern

I'd like to say thank you to everyone involved in this process. I know it has not been easy.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 12:29:39 AM
Our long national nightmare is over has just begun.

FTFY

;D
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 12:38:47 AM

FTFY

;D

Seriously 5 years of even less uniformity then we have now.  CAP now has 4 different field uniforms, and will for the
whole career of many members.

Tan t-shirts (so no more unit t-shirts), black boots (hope all you guys saved the receipts), and apparently CAP cloth insignia now have colors?

At least berets are banned, that should be a lead balloon at Air Venture.

"That Others May Zoom"

calebtornado12

I also like that we can wear the parka and ABU fleece. Those will be nice.  8)
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 12:41:03 AM

Its been done.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 12:38:47 AM

FTFY

;D

Seriously 5 years of even less uniformity then we have now.  CAP now has 4 different field uniforms, and will for the
whole career of many members.

Tan t-shirts (so no more unit t-shirts), black boots (hope all you guys saved the receipts), and apparently CAP cloth insignia now have colors?

Wasn't it you that said 95% of the membership will be in ABUs by the end of week one?

Guess I need to double down on slimming down. And hope they fix the black boots at some point in the next 5 years.

supertigerCH

Well done Civil Air Patrol.

This is the most professional and sharp looking field-type uniform that you have approved/issued for many years.  Yes there will be a phase-in period... with the awkwardness that usually comes along with such transitions... but this was done very well.  distinctive enough (in the ways that it has to be) from the Air Force ABU... but looks great none-the-less.

Uniforms (if worn) are an important part of an organization's public image.  This is a great and professional look to be putting out to the public at large.  Two things that really affect the way an organization is perceived & respected by the public at large =  (1.) How well trained & capable they are at doing their job, and (2.) a very good, sharp, and professional appearance.

Props to the Civil Air Patrol today.  Way to go.

JeffDG

And Hawk Mountain, so are the orange caps.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 05, 2016, 01:36:35 AM
Wasn't it you that said 95% of the membership will be in ABUs by the end of week one?

Facetiously, probably.  But the fact remains that less then 1/2 of the adult members can wear this uniform,
though the lack of Big and tall sizes (at least today) will be more of a limiting factor then a scale.

Quote from: supertigerCH on May 05, 2016, 01:40:02 AM
Uniforms (if worn) are an important part of an organization's public image.

Agreed, CAP doesn't have one.  It now has 4.  And by the time this phase-in period is over, the USAF will have long
said goodbye to the ABU and moved on to "next", whatever that entails.

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

So I saw that the Commander's insignia, which was made mandatory, is now non-mandatory again. Wonder if that was on purpose?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

thebeggerpie

Berets are banned? Huh.

I can definitely see some cadets quitting over that because they can't wear their precious beret anymore. I'm going to NBB this summer, but I still fail to see the point of the beret.

JeffDG

Quote from: thebeggerpie on May 05, 2016, 02:03:40 AM

Berets are banned? Huh.

I can definitely see some cadets quitting over that because they can't wear their precious beret anymore. I'm going to NBB this summer, but I still fail to see the point of the beret.
Yep, all the funny hats are banned
QuoteHeadgear. The ABU cap is the only authorized headgear with this uniform.

JAFO78

I'm my squadron's supply officer....The flood gates of hell have opened up boys and girls.

I have 3 words to say.."BRING IT ON" My LG Officer has already emailed the squadron to say relax and let us do the work, before you get worked up. It will take time to outfit our members..71 strong.
JAFO

PHall

Berets are banned? Huh.

If the only thing keeping those cadets in CAP is a beret then I can tell you they won't be missed.

thebeggerpie

Quote from: PHall on May 05, 2016, 02:19:52 AM

Berets are banned? Huh.

If the only thing keeping those cadets in CAP is a beret then I can tell you they won't be missed.

Actually, that's what I'm happy about. I've met one too many ribbon chasers versus Cadets that actually want to give something to the program for getting something.

Майор Хаткевич

We got the digitalz. Game over.