Two Killed in CAP Aircraft Accident

Started by SJFedor, November 09, 2007, 01:44:11 PM

renomtcofc

I agree that the Las Vegas press probably got two incidents confused.

N881CP, the aircraft they were flying, was a new T182T NAV III delivered to Nevada wing in April of this year, and had accumulated well over 300 hours on the tach since delivery.   

Someone had asked about aircraft performance....  Colonel DeCamp was very pleased to receive the turbo-charged version because of the high terrain and high density altitudes we often have to deal with here in Nevada.   

For example, according to the POH on page 5-20, at a normal climb at 95 knots KIAS, a climb from 2000 feet to 8000 feet would have had climb rates from 545 fpm to 495 fpm at max weight (3100 lbs),  and taken about 11 minutes and 20 nautical miles at standard temperature.  Under the same conditions, a maximum rate climb (83 to 82 KIAS) results in climb rates of 1010 to 915 fpm and would have taken 6 minutes and 9 nautical miles (POH 5-19).

I only met Ed recently (during the Steve Fossett search), but I had many wonderful occasions to work with Col DeCamp.  He will be very missed by me.  My condolences to his family and all of Nevada Wing.

alice

Tuesday afternooon, Nov 13 on the All-CAWG e-mail list:

To all CAWG members,

Funeral services for our colleague and friend, Col. Edwin Lewis, will be held at 10:00 am on Saturday, 17 November, 2007 at Transfiguration Catholic Church in Castro Valley, CA.  The address is 4000 E. Castro Valley Blvd., Castro Valley, CA  94552.

Additionally, a memorial service will be held on Saturday, 1 December, 2007 in the Palmdale area.  Details will follow as soon as they are finalized.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the CAP-Lewis Scholarship Fund, c/o Pacific Region, Civil Air Patrol, PO Box 4718, Hayward, CA  94540-4718.

Any questions, please call LtCol Debra Taylor......

Thanks,

Ken

Colonel Kenneth W. Parris, CAP
Commander, California Wing
Civil Air Patrol, US Air Force Auxiliary

Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

sardak

NTSB preliminary report has been posted here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20071121X01832&key=1

Doesn't include much more than is already known, except for the crash coordinates.
The next report issued by NTSB is the factual report.  When?  Well, the factual report has yet to be posted for the Wyoming CAP crash which occurred in August.

Mike

Nomex Maximus

It doesn't say who was flying.

It suggests that while the victims were recovered that the aircraft is still up there on the mountain. Might be a reall probelm trying to get up there to recover the wreckage.

Supposing that you witness a crash while in the air, what is the best thing to do? Fly to the crash area as the law enforcement helo did? It was night, do you risk flying into the same mountain that they did? What about downdrafts that they might have gotten caught in? 

This month's Volunteer magazine just arrived yesterday with articles on both the earlier crash in Wyoming and the Fossett search - which had pictures of one of the victims of this crash.

The whole thing sort of unnerves me. I am a relatively low time pilot and this sort of stuff is happening to high time pilots.

--NTM

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

bosshawk

Don't be unnerved: this sort of thing happens to high time pilots, as well as those with low time.  A word to the wise, try not to make mistakes, because errors in judgement multiply in these sorts of situations.

I certainly don't know what was going through Ed and Dion's minds on that flight: we will likely never know who was flying.  I have been through two fatal crashes of CAP planes: both in the same squadron that I belonged to at the time.  Both PICs were high time guys.  Most often, these sorts of things are caused by errors in judgement and that is something that is very hard to teach.

Continue to march.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Unfortunately, given the number of hours CAP flies every year and even though our safety record is usually better than general aviation, we're still likely to have one or two fatal accidents every year.  Obviously we have to do what we can to make these rare incidents even rarer. 

Short Field

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. Circa early 1930's.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Kurt Olney

Ed Lewis was an honorary member of YO-3A Quiet Aircraft Association.  Ed flew the NASA YO-3A (originally a Lockheed Greenhouse Works aircraft-- 11 Built-- used for low altitude, silent, night recon work in Vietnam. 

Ed was instrumental in getting us 10 minutes of footage of the NASA YO-3A Flying at Edwards AFB.  Ed was the star of this film.  I will be posting it on the YO-3A website: http://www.yo-3a.com/yo3anasa.html

Our group will miss Ed, and we wish the best for his family.

Kurt Olney
Webmaster and VP Quiet Aircraft Association http://www.quietaircraft.org