Where is 2010 Winter Board Meeting?

Started by Dixie, January 24, 2010, 04:41:50 AM

FARRIER

Quote from: FW on February 08, 2010, 04:40:50 AM
Our Aerosapce Eduacation outreach seems at a standstill too.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no will to get the funding needed from outside contributors.

Hasn't anyone tried to contact Boeing, Rathyeon, and any of the other aerospace companies to contribute to this program since this is where their future workforce is being groomed?
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

billford1

Quote from: heliodoc on February 08, 2010, 04:11:03 AM
You know, after reading all these threads

NOT nary a mention how the NEC or all the higher ups have been to the push for HR1178....The study to make CAP "do more" missions for HLS, DHS, FEMA

If I was an EM type reading this about all the uniform issues and NOT how we are improving ourselves to aim toward being more serious towards the FEMA and DHS, I would reallly begin to wonder about CAP folks and their uniform issues rather than REALLY CENTERING on the REAL issues that could ensure CAP survival in its quest for missions....

BUT NOOOOOOO CAP still has to piddle away time to talk about unis and bling..

Maybe these Natl Board meetings would have a quite a bit more meat than  worrying about bling and uniforms.

CAPers ought to REALLLY think about that...cuz I would really begin to wonder about these CAP inhouse infighting issues that they can not solve in less than 1 year.  Time to start looking towards the future, folks, 'cuz with reading the agenda...not a mention about how CAP is planning for the future in the DHS arena

The agenda might be important to the self important in CAP......but they are not really ready for the big world...not yet maybew in 10 to 15 yrs :'( :'( :'(

Prove to me that CAP is taking seriously the HLS missions on their agendas....other than what CAP does already...

I know of at least 3 states where CAP has some kind of MOU in existence or in development which includes the ANG and Army NG wherein there would be coordinated Emergency Search and Rescue, Air Reconnaissance and disaster relief efforts where CAP has a role. Does this stuff get any airtime at these conferences? If the part about how they want to develop the CAP uniform comes to pass I hope I'll be able to stick with what I've got. I guess I'm ready for a new Golf Shirt.

flyguy06

Quote from: heliodoc on February 08, 2010, 04:11:03 AM
You know, after reading all these threads

NOT nary a mention how the NEC or all the higher ups have been to the push for HR1178....The study to make CAP "do more" missions for HLS, DHS, FEMA

If I was an EM type reading this about all the uniform issues and NOT how we are improving ourselves to aim toward being more serious towards the FEMA and DHS, I would reallly begin to wonder about CAP folks and their uniform issues rather than REALLY CENTERING on the REAL issues that could ensure CAP survival in its quest for missions....

BUT NOOOOOOO CAP still has to piddle away time to talk about unis and bling..

Maybe these Natl Board meetings would have a quite a bit more meat than  worrying about bling and uniforms.

CAPers ought to REALLLY think about that...cuz I would really begin to wonder about these CAP inhouse infighting issues that they can not solve in less than 1 year.  Time to start looking towards the future, folks, 'cuz with reading the agenda...not a mention about how CAP is planning for the future in the DHS arena

The agenda might be important to the self important in CAP......but they are not really ready for the big world...not yet maybew in 10 to 15 yrs :'( :'( :'(

Prove to me that CAP is taking seriously the HLS missions on their agendas....other than what CAP does already...

So, what are these missions with DHS that CAP is beginning to do?

SarDragon

Have you read the latest Volunteer? There's a nice article about just exactly that mission.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: heliodoc on February 08, 2010, 04:50:50 AM

Yep CAP is at a standstill with their program because of one thing......lack of person to person contact from many of the upper echelon to the lower units

Whaddya think I said??   Same thing neeeeeeeeeeeeeding to be said about MANY A CAP program!!  One can only sit for so long pontificating uniform and regulation regurgitating to the point that the other programs suffer an unnecessary death...

Well, I do agree with you however, the problem is not with NB members "pontificating".  It is the best way, IMO, to reallocate resources to best serve the needs of our missions.  My first thought would be to form "action teams" to go out in the field to improve squadron programs and outreach.
They could be formed like "inspection teams".  They would be recruited from the field for their expertise and ability to travel around.  These volunteers would visit the wings to engage/educate and follow up on plans and programs needed to succeed in all the missions of CAP; not just ES.

Personal development and education are probably the 2 best ways we can provide the most good to the "outside" world.   ES is just some icing on the cake.  In any event, we need to do more to get more contributions from more supporters.  And, worrying about uniforms is not going to accomplish this.

Spike

^ Hahahahahahahha   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gunner C

I was looking back over the thread here.  I was wondering:  if the AF wants to, will they be able to get rid of the blue CAP flight suit or restrict its use to H/W and grooming standards since it is a uniform with a military appearance?

• What constitutes a "military uniform" by the standard that CAP-USAF is using?
  • Can they/would they try to further restrict CAP distinctive uniforms such as the flight suits?

flyguy06

It doesnt have a military appearance. Its blue.

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 10, 2010, 06:55:10 PM

Don't the Blue Angels wear it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

Guys, just read the minutes of the Nov. NEC meeting.  It gives you all the reasoning behind the vote.  Nothing is mentioned about the AF.  The CAP-USAF notes to the agenda items are opinions based on AFI's and the CAP-USAF JA.  Maybe we'll end up wearing pink pants with gray jackets.  Let's just enjoy the show come the 26th.  This should be better than "Idol".... >:D ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 06:59:07 PM

Not exactly. It's a different cut, and slightly different color. I see only broad similarities between my blue flight suit and the ones the Blue Angels wear. They are both blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2010, 10:34:37 PM

Not exactly. It's a different cut, and slightly different color. I see only broad similarities between my blue flight suit and the ones the Blue Angels wear. They are both blue.

I never looked too closely at it. This whole issues seems to be caused by the AF worrying more about image than about the mission. We save a tremendous amount of money because we do what we do. Pissing us off and making people go away is a detriment to the mission.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

Quote from: FW on February 10, 2010, 07:19:18 PM
Guys, just read the minutes of the Nov. NEC meeting.  It gives you all the reasoning behind the vote.  Nothing is mentioned about the AF.  The CAP-USAF notes to the agenda items are opinions based on AFI's and the CAP-USAF JA.  Maybe we'll end up wearing pink pants with gray jackets.  Let's just enjoy the show come the 26th.  This should be better than "Idol".... >:D ;D

Yup.....brought up by a group that just "hated" the CSU.  No mention of USAF guidance on elimination. 

flyguy06

Thats a specialized unit. Not the norm.

Gunner C

Actually, I had the Coast Guard in mind.  Are they still wearing blue flight suits?  Since they have designated themselves are the final OK for both AF and corporate style uniforms are out blue flight suits going to be a target at some point?

Smithsonia

Astronauts wear the Dark Blue Flightsuit too. AND, golf shirts. I was watching the docking and link up between the space station and orbiter. Everybody has khaki pants, white socks, and buff colored golf shirts on.. with no shoes. It looked like cocktail hour at the club, if the club was in space.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Gunner C on February 10, 2010, 04:44:16 PM
I was looking back over the thread here.  I was wondering:  if the AF wants to, will they be able to get rid of the blue CAP flight suit or restrict its use to H/W and grooming standards since it is a uniform with a military appearance?

• What constitutes a "military uniform" by the standard that CAP-USAF is using?
  • Can they/would they try to further restrict CAP distinctive uniforms such as the flight suits?

It would almost seem that anything other than the grey/white/polo constitutes a "military uniform."  As I've said elsewhere, in the CSU aftermath, many in CAP seem to be snakebitten about any potential uniform item being blue.

I believe the AF can disallow us from wearing the green flight suit, but not the blue one.  Actually, it looks more like the coveralls worn by missile silo crew than it does the Blue Angels.  I saw a set of the coveralls on Evilbay recently.  If I were to wear them with relevant CAP insignia (which I don't and won't), one would have to really look close to see the difference.

On a completely non-uniform issue, if we were ever to sever/have severed our ties with the Air Force, then I would be gone.  I am proud of our association with the world's greatest Air Force.

Many of us who still meet on and/or have training on AF facilities and interact with AF people who know and appreciate what we do are appreciative that the Air Force allows us to do so.

I respect police/fire/EMS services greatly (a childhood friend is now a county Sheriff's Detective) but we don't fall into that category, and, as has been said, there are still quite a few CAP wings/squadrons who help out the military side.

I've been in since '93, and in that time I've seen quite a few things that have distanced us from the AF that don't have anything to do with uniforms.  Most of them have come from the CAP side, not the Air Force side, from higher-ups who want to push the "corporate" aspect so we can "do what we want" without the AF's approval.

This is highly unlikely, but I would like to see the AF take control of CAP 24/7/365 and put us directly under AETC.  That would mean a lot of things would happen that the membership (myself included) probably wouldn't like, but I think we'd be a better CAP for it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Gunner C on February 11, 2010, 04:07:52 AM
Actually, I had the Coast Guard in mind.  Are they still wearing blue flight suits?  Since they have designated themselves are the final OK for both AF and corporate style uniforms are out blue flight suits going to be a target at some point?

I live within driving distance of a CGAS.  Most that I see wear the green zoom bag.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

High Speed Low Drag

I agree with CyBorg.  WIWAC, CAP was totally under USAF control.  We only had one set of uniforms (not counting the smurf suit) - AF-Style.  But, you wore that style regardless of H/W.  They considered the UMBlue patches on the pickle suit distinctive enough.  We didn't do CD missions.  If that is the reason we broke off on the "corporate" path, let's just not do CD. 

I have said it before, I'll say it again.  The ES landscape is changing.  We need to change with it.  I think we should gear up much, much, much more for DR missions.  Even introduce a new specialty qual – Disaster Relief Team that specializes in house-to-house search for victims, shelter operations, disaster logistics, etc, (None of which are currently covered in GT training).  THAT would be a very relevant mission training qualification and it would give us relevance.  The days of us going out on SAR missions are dwindling.  Some of the stuff in GT dates back to WWII stuff.  Very few places in the US now face the same type of SAR issue as was prevalent, even back in the 80's (WIWAC) and 90's.

The Red Cross had to change their focus.  It started to assist soldiers on the battlefield with injuries and establish protected medical areas.  It changed into providing services for POWs, then into providing disaster relief, emergency medical training, and blood donations.  Point is that they have had to refine their "mission" several times to keep up with the changing world.  CAP ES needs to become relevant to the 21st century.  And USAF needs to take us back, full-time.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"