Main Menu

Which College is better?

Started by CAPC/officer125, November 05, 2009, 03:52:28 AM

Flying Pig

I have no experience with any of the academies or ROTC.  However, you need to decide what to do.  People throw "Leader" around pretty loosely.  However, the best LEADERS I have ever knows were Army and Marine 1Lt's and Captains that had been prior enlisted grunt types.

I would turn a solid Army or Marine Sgt. loose on any West Point or Naval Academy 2Lt.

If your looking for a technical field, sorry, cant offer any advice.

flyerthom

The first issue is what field interests you.
Then decide what school is best for you to accomplish that.
Remember - schools are trying to sell themselves to you.

I have a BA from a well ranked Jesuit university. It routinely scores very well in US News and World Reports. Decent Army ROTC program.

The degree that has the most positive influence on my life is the Associates Degree I took afterwords. While the BA was not worthless, it   certainly opened fewer doors than the AAS.

Also remember NCAA or other sports do not reflect on education value.
The AFA will never win a National Championship and Texas A&M will never win an IAC Collegiate Aerobatics championship IAC  but both have excellent programs. Do some research and make an informed decision. With choices you have available the world is your oyster.
TC

dogboy

Quote from: Spike on November 06, 2009, 02:49:47 AM
I would also like to point out that the amount of Military specific instruction is the same in ROTC as at the Academy

I'm sorry to disagree with you completely. There is AFROTC at my college. They have classes and drill one half day per week and maybe one Saturday a month. It simply is not comparable to the full-time military environment that one experiences at an academy.

My personal opinion is that this ROTC option is preferable. It approaches masochism to live academy life.

Short Field

So what does the amount of drill have to do with the amount of Military specific instruction?  Marching does not a Officer make...... 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Spike

Quote from: dogboy on November 06, 2009, 11:33:31 PM
Quote from: Spike on November 06, 2009, 02:49:47 AM
I would also like to point out that the amount of Military specific instruction is the same in ROTC as at the Academy

I'm sorry to disagree with you completely. There is AFROTC at my college. They have classes and drill one half day per week and maybe one Saturday a month. It simply is not comparable to the full-time military environment that one experiences at an academy.

My personal opinion is that this ROTC option is preferable. It approaches masochism to live academy life.

Please read the paragraph you took that quote from completely.  Military instruction is a portion of Cadet Education at the Academies, not the entire curriculum.  Again, take out the morning PT, the formations etc.,  and you have the same curriculum.  Could you imagine if Officers did not learn the same pre-commissioning military education as each other?

aveighter

Quote from: dogboy on November 06, 2009, 11:33:31 PM

Spoken from the viewpoint of one experienced in that disturbing lifestyle I suppose?