When there are 5 meeting nights in a month...

Started by Stonewall, December 10, 2008, 07:08:45 PM

Stonewall

From the "Chistmas Party" discussion...

Quote from: tarheel gumby on December 10, 2008, 06:18:43 PM
...we also have a "pot luck" dinner every 5th thursday.

Doesn't this happen twice a year?  When you find yourself having five meeting nights in a month rather than four?

What does everyone do?

My current squadron, I think (because I'm inactive), has a bowling night.  When I was DCC or CC, we used it to our advantage.  Heck yeah, we're going to use every minute we can get our little hands on.

Since we offered testing once a month, we would offer "make-up testing", an extra opportunity to take a the CPFT or perhaps catch up on files; allowing members to sit with the personnel/admin officer and review their own file.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Usually our fifth week involves some sort of additional training although sometimes we have parties.  It's a great time to knock out that OPSEC/ORM training etc.

cnitas

Before I was in charge, we had a pizza party.
After I got involved it became a 'free space' on the calendar for the cadet commander to plan their own activity (not a pizza party).

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

We meet on Thursdays.  The 5th week happens once per quarter (usually).  If you meet on Monday's you get two per year (usually).

But we organize things to do on base, have a party or do something we'd "been meaning to do but couldn't find the time."

It really varies depending on the season, what the cadets want to do, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 10, 2008, 07:27:28 PM
We meet on Thursdays.  The 5th week happens once per quarter (usually).  If you meet on Monday's you get two per year (usually).

Not really. F'rinstance, there are four fifth Mondays in 2008. It averages out over three or four years that every day of the week shows up five times in a month four times in one year.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quotethere are four fifth Mondays in 2008.

There are three:
June
September
December

Next year:
March
June
November

Next year coincedently, Thursday has 5.  Fun with the Julian Calendar! :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2008, 07:35:58 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 10, 2008, 07:27:28 PM

Not really. F'rinstance, there are four fifth Mondays in 2008. It averages out over three or four years that every day of the week shows up five times in a month four times in one year.

You would get that fifth week four times a year.  There are 52 weeks in a year.  If you average 4 weeks in a month, that makes 48 weeks, leaving 4 extra weeks.  That's an average of one per quarter.  How that falls on the days of the week will of course vary, but you would still have those extra four weeks.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Grumpy

We meet on Camp Pendleton just two blocks from the beach.  Any month with a fifth Tuesday in it we go to the beach and have hot dogs and a volley ball game.  It sure beats the boring CPFT.   ;D ;D

jeders

When I was a cadet it was generally just another meeting. Whatever we needed to get caught up on we did. When I left this squadron for a couple of years it became a party night. Now that I'm back as the DCC, it's a regular meeting. If we have absolutely nothing that we need to train on and we're perfect in every respect that we can think of, then maybe we'll make it a party night. But seeing as that's not likely to ever happen, we'll keep using it for training so that we can be better than we are.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

_

My squadron normally has a pizza party.  Everyone comes in civies and gets time to socialize.  I see it as a team building type activity because it allows members to get to know each other better that they would during a regular meeting where everything is directed and there isn't a whole lot of socializing time set aside.  You do have to keep an eye on them because they will sometimes tend towards mischief.

As a senior I use the time to catch up on paperwork.

MIKE

Seems like a good time to get caught up on paperwork to me.  Check to make sure all personnel files and actions are in order.
Mike Johnston

Grumpy

All work and no play makes little Johnny Jumpup a dull boy.  Or Janey for that matter.

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 10, 2008, 07:41:56 PM
Quotethere are four fifth Mondays in 2008.

There are three:
June
September
December

Next year:
March
June
November

Next year coincedently, Thursday has 5.  Fun with the Julian Calendar! :)

2008 - what happened to March?

2009 - what happened to August?

I used this one.

As for my unit's schedule, since we are a senior squadron, we generally make it into a social event, and maybe discuss the next quarter's goals.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2008, 08:11:15 PM
2008 - what happened to March?

2009 - what happened to August?

I used this one.

As for my unit's schedule, since we are a senior squadron, we generally make it into a social event, and maybe discuss the next quarter's goals.

Ha! Good Question.  I was using my desk blotter and those are absent!  Good thing I don't keep track of anything on it!   :D

Stonewall

Quote from: Grumpy on December 10, 2008, 07:44:16 PM
We meet on Camp Pendleton just two blocks from the beach.

The Camp Pendleton in Virginia?

Or

The Camp Pendleton in California?
Serving since 1987.

EMT-83

DC

We don't have a set program for extra weeks, the Cadet Staff decides on what they want to do. Last year we did flight sims, extra ES training, stuff like that.

We are looking at (when we get back into Daylight Savings) maybe doing O-Rides then..

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on December 10, 2008, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on December 10, 2008, 07:44:16 PM
We meet on Camp Pendleton just two blocks from the beach.

The Camp Pendleton in Virginia?

Or

The Camp Pendleton in California?

Knowing Grumpy personally, it's definitely California.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

drcomm

We have a "fun night".  Usually we bring in snacks and watch a movie (aviation or military related) or have a team building type of activity. 
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Major Carrales

Normally it is a "drop everyithing and work on the Unit" day.  We come in, clean carpets, set up computers, work on the facility and do some other "non-training, non-squadron meeting" stuff and just try to upgrade the place.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mprokosch11

We have a pizza party!!

Since we meet in a church that has a youth group they allow us to use their big screen T.V., Ping Pong table, Pool, and fooseball tables.

It's a great relief from the usual stress.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

JAFO78

Back at Viking we would have a fun night planed. Everyone wore regular clothes and just had a good time bonding. Movies, pop, pizza. Everyone looked forward to it since we were a cadet squadron.

I think this is very important for the cadets to just relax and have a good time.
JAFO

tarheel gumby

In my squadron we have a "pot luck" dinner as a way of getting everybody and their families together.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

NEBoom

We used it for a quarterly staff meeting.  Non-staff cadets usually had the night off.  Worked pretty well.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing