Main Menu

Squadron Holiday Party

Started by Stonewall, December 10, 2008, 02:43:05 AM

Does your squadron have an annual Christmas holiday party?

Yes, every year.
53 (76.8%)
No, not that I'm aware of.
3 (4.3%)
Sometimes.
13 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Stonewall

Most squadrons I have been affiliated with have an annual Christmas holiday party.  They are always informal, i.e. no uniforms, and we usually invite family members.  To me, this is one of the very few times I like, even enjoy, having parents around.

A few years ago, I think in 2004, we had about 25 active cadets and most of the seniors donated money so we could get cadets presents.  Now this was an atypical gift giving event.  Many of the "gifts" came from my ANG squadron's Life Support shop and included things like military issue compasses, strobe lights, flight gloves, survival fire starters, signal mirrors, survival knives and leatherman tools.  In fact, I think there were even a couple of GPS's.  <<-----all gear my Chief said I could have because it was being thrown out.  The AF gets rid of better gear than most of us own.  Then, I walked into the Ft. Belvoir Military Clothing Store with about $500 and cadets got everything from gore-tex socks to military authorized camelbacks.  Yeah, it was a good year for Fairfax Composite Squadron's cadets.
Serving since 1987.

drcomm

We have an awards ceremony and dinner at the Air Guard's dining facility in December (on the 20th this year).  It is semi-formal and family members are invited.  We've been doing this for quite a few years.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

jeders

We have an annual Christmas Party. In fact, I just finished seeing the last of our members off from it and I'm about to go home. Ours actually started a few years ago as a Cadet Commander's Christmas Party, and was eventually made into a Christmas Party for the whole squadron. It's something I always enjoy because it reminds the seniors that there are cadets and the cadets that there are seniors. It is one of the few times when everyone is together and getting to know each other. For those of you who don't do some sort of holiday party, I highly recommend it as it really gets people to know each other better.

And as a couple of us were talking about tonight, Merry freakin Christmas.

Edit to add: I was actually going to start this topic a few hours, but didn't have enough time before our squadron's party started.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

Pylon

We have one each year on the last regular Wednesday meeting of the year.  Usually we have fun activities, food and (non-alcoholic) drinks, people can bring in food and dishes if they'd like.  We hook up an XBox or one of those things to the classroom projector and sound system (our squadron's sound system could probably wake people miles away).  We throw on some music and just let everyone enjoy themselves.

Cadets bring their parents, siblings, friends etc. if they want.  It's a chance for everyone to be a little less formal and "hang out" as opposed to the typical structured meeting.

The squadron staff usually group signs cards for every cadet.  This year I will also be giving a subtle recruiting pitch to all the parents present.   >:D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Happy Ramahanukwanzmas to you, too.

"Holiday." Hmmph.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

LtCol057

We normally have an awards dinner sometime in January for cadets and some seniors come to it.  Last couple of years, it's been a covered dish affair with parents and friends.  This year, some of the seniors want to have a get together with just seniors and their families.  So our next senior meeting will just be an informal gathering with finger foods. No training, just a couple of items to go over before the "meeting".   

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 10, 2008, 03:06:20 AM
Our Sq. has a Christmas Party. ;D

So does the Jewish kid stay home and have some gefelte fish that night?

>:D

Kidding, of course.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Gunner C

Quote from: NIN on December 10, 2008, 04:48:37 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on December 10, 2008, 03:06:20 AM
Our Sq. has a Christmas Party. ;D

So does the Jewish kid stay home and have some gefelte fish that night?

>:D

Kidding, of course.

Nope.  Like my grandfather, he just enjoyed having an extra holiday.  Our party was a Christmas Party too.  Heck, it's not just a good idea, it's the (federal) law.  ;D

JAFO78

Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2008, 03:26:41 AM
This year I will also be giving a subtle recruiting pitch to all the parents present.   >:D

Ah recruiting at its best.... :angel:
JAFO

Gunner C

Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 10, 2008, 10:16:39 AM
Quote from: Pylon on December 10, 2008, 03:26:41 AM
This year I will also be giving a subtle recruiting pitch to all the parents present.   >:D

Ah recruiting at its best.... :angel:

Good multitasking!

Fifinella

We use our party as an opportunity to "show off" to the families.  We recap the squadron's activities and members' accomplishments for the past year.  Sometimes we don't see the parents any other time, so it's a way to brag on all our folks.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

dwb

I'm a Wing Weenie, but I voted yes anyway, because the two squadrons and the Group HQ that are within 30 min. of my house all have holiday parties.

When I was a squadron commander, we would run a regular meeting for the first hour, then have the parents show up for the second hour for  food and fun.

Sm_Morgan

Had our Holiday Party yesterday and it was nice did promotions invited the col up from wing also showed a video of past year achievements it was nice for all the family to come together to support the cadets. we have 2 parties every year holiday and end of the summer.

AvroArrow

My squadron has a "banquet."

It's usually in November (preferably) or January (if November is not available). Since we're a compostie squadron, we do awards for both seniors and cadets. Then we summarize the things we've done over the last year so we can either look back with smiles or improve on those things. Afterwards, we eat really nice food from a good caterer and finally the cadets "show off" drill to their amazed parents  ::)

What's always nice is that our DCC always finds a guest speaker. Two years ago was an USAF Major General, last year was an Army LTG, and this year is going to be a different Army MG

Oh, and everyone wears a Service Dress Uniform. If they don't have one, (such as new cadets or parents) they'll wear really nice civies/church clothes.

Duke Dillio

Our Christmas Party is next week.  So is our Kwanza Party and our Hannukah Party and any other holiday you can think of for the period.  It's all informal at our squadron HQ and is usually a potluck.  We save the major awards for the year for June, I think.  It correlates with our squadron's birthday.

DC

We have never had one in memory. Our Annual Banquet is always in October, so I guess since they are so close together...

We do usually take the last week in December off, mostly because practically all of the cadets are either on vacation or at Encampment..

It's an idea for next year though.

notaNCO forever

My squadron is having one this Tuesday it's a holiday [arty and not a christmas one since we have almost as much Jewish members as Christian ones. It's informal and as a team building activity we are going to play rock band.

tarheel gumby

My squadron has a Christmas party every year, we also have a "pot luck" dinner every 5th thursday.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Major Carrales

We had our Holiday Party last night.  It is a uniformed activity, but the main thing is to partake in fellowship and food!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454