Attn: Pilots/CFI's and Other Enthusiasts - Do you Live near....

Started by BjComedy, July 06, 2008, 06:06:23 PM

BjComedy

So, this may seem kind of strange, but here goes.

Over the past two (almost three) years I have been working slowly at getting my private ticket. However, due to my career, gigs pop up and WHAM! I'm out on tour for months at a time. Everytime I get into a rhythym and get caught back up to where I was, you know what happens. This – combined with many of the CFIs I had went to airlines made it hard for me to stay on task.

Well, about a year ago I found the best CFI ever. She is amazing. But, gigs popped up and I'm back on the road. Very little time to study. Eventually, I came to the realization that I should give up on the flight training portion of it (especially after I spent almost all of my school loan monies in my account at the FBO) and begin to get the 2008 Gleim down so that when I AM home I can knock out my knowledge test.

I have (I believe) about 20 hours in my book, and COUNTLESS hours onboard aircraft (Civil Air Patrol, Flying with Friends, etc.). As I said above I have not completed by knowledge test, as I want to focus on the ground portion and understand everything, THEN go at the flight portion when I pass my knowledge test and know that I will be at home for a long enough period.

As luck would have it, I am currently out on the road. Oh, allow me to note my most important fact: I have ADD. Studying and ADD do NOT go together. That being said, I'm looking to find people who may be near the areas where I will be to help me study.

Below I will list what cities the tour will be at that I am on. If you (or someone you know) could help (or you have suggestions) let me know. You do NOT have to be a CFI, though it may help. Perhaps you are someone who wants to become a CFI? Maybe you know of an old friend in these parts? Maybe you know of a school there and somehow have a connection to these places?

I should mention that I am a broke actor, and do not have very much money. But, if you are willing to come study with me, help me wrap my head around some problem areas on my off days, then perhaps I could make it up to you. (VIP Passes for the tour? Excellent if you have kids). I know a lot of the material, so really it's going to be a matter of reading me the Gleim questions. This is where it helps with my ADD.

Do you live near here:

Richmond, VA - July 3 - 8.
Charlotte, N.C. - July 9 - 11
Nashville, TN - July 11 - 14.
Atlanta, GA - July 14 - 21.
Tampa, FL - July 22 - 26.
Houston, TX - July 27 - 29.
Dallas, TX - July 29 - August 1.
Austin, TX - Aug. 1 - 4.
Los Angeles (Orange County). - Aug. 5 - 11.
Minneapolis, MN - Aug. 13 - 18.
Chicago, IL - Aug. 18 – 25

Any help you can provide would be great! There may be a free meal in it. I love to eat and study!

THIRD CLASS MEDICAL
Yes, I DO HAVE MY MEDICAL. I got this shortly after I began my first "full hearted" time studying. This Third Class Medical and Student Pilot Certificate is good for another year, as I got it on 2/7/06

THE A.D.D.
Let me say that I am self-diagnosed. No health insurance. But, I am almost certain that I do suffer from the disorder. This is not a ploy from getting me away from studying. I'm a professional actor, and scripts, characters, blocking all have to be studied and memorized. The point in me mentioning this was to note that it is harder for me to remain focused at times, and that my wheels are always spinning. I can multi-task like no ones business though! Just understand it takes me longer to understand or grasp something compared to some others. Be patient.

IF YOU'RE NEAR
Anyone who will be near these locations at the above dates who could help sit down with me for an hour or two and just go through the Gleim I would really appreciate it. Or heck, perhaps I can put a few dollars in your fuel tanks and we can fly a bit, too. No matter is we sit in the lobby of my hotel for free breakfast, go out to a diner after my show, or go around the pattern when you let me backseat on another flight – any way to continue learning more and understanding the love for aviation is awesome. I can supply jokes, friendship, and maybe even a meal in exchange for helping me study.

THE GIG I'M ON
Just for notes, I am hosting the Simon dTOUR Live, a concert series which hits up 24 Simon, Kravco and Mills malls around the country. Essentially, I entertain 13 year old girls all day with light comedy, improv, and playing games on stage before the concert starts. To see who's playing near you – and if you want passes – hit up the website at www.simondtour.com (Keep in mind that these are just the show dates, and NOT the times I'll be in "market").

I would appreciate e-mails from anyone who believes they would be able to help. I can reply with information about where I'll be at, and the dates. This will allow me to see when we could meet up. honkey@nolimithonkey.com

GERALD J LANGE JR "BJ", 1LT, CAP
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
Missouri Wing, Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Citizens Serving Communities, Above & Beyond!

P: 323.448.0645 / E: pao-a@mowg.cap.gov

CadetProgramGuy

After your chicago date in August, make one for Des Moines, and you're on.

Not a CFI, but I have taken ground school inst course.

Frenchie

It's extremely hard for me to study for anything also.  Here was my strategy.  I used the Jepp manuals, but the Gleim would be the same.

Basically what I did was set a goal of two chapters per week, every week.  Do NOT take a week off if you can help it.  Since most chapters only take an hour or two to knock out, you should be able to do this even if you have a busy schedule.  Try to do a chapter all in one sitting if you can, but if you can't they are broken down into sections so at least try to get to a stopping point.  Since the Jepp and Gleim manuals both have about 12 chapters, that means you should be done with the manual in 6 weeks at the most.  I don't think it's a good idea to set a goal of more than 6 weeks.  If you've been working on the manual for months, start over.  The stuff you've already covered will go faster and it will be more fresh on your mind for the next phase.

The best strategy (IMO) is to dedicate 3 FULL CONSECUTIVE DAYS for the next phase.  On the first two days you go through the exam guide and answer every single question.  There are over 1000 practice questions and you're going to be looking up a lot of the answers, so this is going to take all of the 2 days.  Yes it is murder, but take frequent breaks and stick with it.  Just keep telling yourself in 3 days it will all be over.  On the 3rd day you take your test so you'll need to have it scheduled with the testing center.

This was my strategy and I made a 100 on the written, so I know it works.

Do not worry about trying to learn every aspect of flying while you are studying for the written.  Just try to get the knowledge aspects down.  Save the practical aspect questions for your CFI when you're taking flight instruction.  This is the FAA's way of learning.  You have the knowledge aspect and the practical aspect.  If you don't try to mix the two up, you'll actually do better on all 3 of the tests.

CadetProgramGuy

to be honest with you, if you are on time restraints with your ground school or test preperations....

God, I hate to say this.....

You might want to check out one of those guaranteed weekend schools.

SAR-EMT1

BJ, I was at SLS/CLC with you at Scott AFB.
I remember your recitation of how the gate guards responded to your car.  :)

Good luck on this tour, and in your study efforts...

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BjComedy

LOL, yea... it is a little "different".

Well, if anyone is near any of these stops, please advise. I can use an help.  Thanks.

Cmdbuddy

Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

BjComedy

The dates above are the times I will be in each market.  No more, no less.

Cmdbuddy

What I mean is... how far can you travel from the locations to meet up?
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

BjComedy

Sadly, we have a tour bus, so very minimal.  Though public transportation, taxis, and the occasional rental may be in order.