Are there any Squadrons out there who have built their own facility?

Started by Murph, February 12, 2008, 02:10:07 PM

Murph

If you belong to a unit (or know of one) that has built their own facility, I'd love to hear how the process went, including raising the funds.  My unit is thinking about undertaking a project like this.

I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Murph

jimmydeanno

What kind of situation are you in?  Do you already have land to build on - or are you looking to start completely from scratch?

There is definitely going to be some variation in process depending on where the starting point is... 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

I know the folks in Russleville Arkansas did it, darn nice facility (and Folks) too.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Murph

We likely will have land to build on as a part of a larger development.

davidsinn

If I recall correctly Kasler Senior Sqdn(IN069)http://glr.cap.gov/jccap/ in INWG is building/have built a hanger.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

I know of 7 squadrons who either built new or completely rebuilt facilities. 3 constructed hangers with the facility.  All but 1 raised money from the members of the unit with some outside benifactors pitching in.  The other unit asked for governmental assistance in constructing  their facility on the municipal airport.  They got 75% of the funds needed from the state dept. of aviation.  Most of the members in all the squadrons pitched in with construction effort.  All units have strong and vital programs with good membership and retention numbers.
Good Luck with your efforts.

BlackKnight

Gwinnett Composite Squadron (NE Atlanta) http://www.gawg.cap.gov/GA112/ raised funds and built their own very nice combined headquarters and hangar building.  The property is leased from the local airport authority.  There is a "hangar scrapbook" page on their website documenting the construction process.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Johnny Yuma

Great Plains Bison out in Garden City, KS has their own facility, but it's a couple of portable classrooms donated by one of the members that have been renovated.

They are buildings and they are theirs.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

♠SARKID♠

I believe it was the Fox Cities Composite Squadron, WIWG that just built a new facility.  Very nice from what I hear.  Tedda would know, he's in that squadron.

mynetdude

Medford Composite squadron has an old WWII hangar that was donated, they built their walls/classrooms and storage/supply/comm rooms and cadet classrooms we have three levels, main, 2nd (cadet classroom/office and 3rd (attic/storage) . I don't know how they raised the money then to do it, I wasn't a member at the time.

We are definetely looking to expand though, we have more needs than we ever did before. Hopefully we can build another classroom sometime within the next 5 years we don't have enough room to do what we all need to do.