At age 61, doctor joins the Navy

Started by dogboy, November 30, 2007, 10:26:18 PM

dogboy

When one of his sons, a Marine, was killed in Iraq, Dr. Bill Krissoff decided to enlist. With help from the White House, he's in uniform and will be stationed near his other son, who's at Camp Pendleton.

<snip>

"I'm just a doctor who wants to help Marines -- I'm not trying to change the world," Krissoff said in a telephone interview. "I'm inspired by both my sons' dedication to service."

Nathan Krissoff, 25, an intelligence officer with the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, was killed last Dec. 9 by a roadside bomb while riding in a Humvee outside Fallouja. Hundreds of Marines, soldiers and sailors attended a memorial service in the auditorium at Camp Fallouja.

Even by the mournful standards of such events, the memorial was emotional. Marines hugged one another, and many had tears in their eyes. Officers and enlisted eulogized Krissoff as a natural leader, charismatic but humble.

<snip>

Krissoff concedes a kind of turnabout is at play. "Usually it's the father who tries to lead the sons by example," he said. "In this case, my sons led me."

And what would his son Nathan think of his desire to enlist and deploy to a war zone?

"He'd just say, 'Way to go, Pops,'" said Krissoff, his voice seeming to tremble slightly.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-doctor1dec01,0,7221630.story?coll=la-home-center

(free registration may be required)

SoCalCAPOfficer

I wonder if they would be interested in a 63 year old lawyer.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

star1151

My first thought was, "With the Navy needing doctors like they do, why on earth would he *enlist*?".  That's what I get for believing what the media writes.

Cobra1597

Maybe there is still hope if I can only afford the surgery (and then recovery time/strength training) for my back after I am 27.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Indaweeds

Quote from: star1151 on December 01, 2007, 02:25:15 AM
My first thought was, "With the Navy needing doctors like they do, why on earth would he *enlist*?".  That's what I get for believing what the media writes.

Do you mean *enlist* as in not an officer?  He was commissioned a lieutenant commander.

JCW0312

I wonder what MOS he chose?  ;D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Quote from: Indaweeds on December 01, 2007, 03:09:57 AM

Do you mean *enlist* as in not an officer?  He was commissioned a lieutenant commander.

I think star1151 was pointing out the media's ignorance in this issue. Anyone with even a slight knowledge of the military knows that this man did not *enlist*.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Indaweeds

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 01, 2007, 03:11:46 AM

I think star1151 was pointing out the media's ignorance in this issue. Anyone with even a slight knowledge of the military knows that this man did not *enlist*.

I see that angle now that you mention it; thanks!

flyguy06

Its still called an "enlistment" eventhough he is not "enlisted". Two different terms. so dont go shooting the media. Everyone like to rag the media. I guess they are an easy target.

flyguy06

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 01, 2007, 03:11:46 AM

Yes, he did enlist. You hae to enlist in any military servioce. Then you either can be enlisted or commissioned. But you still enlist

JCW0312

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 01, 2007, 04:31:23 AM
so dont go shooting the media. Everyone like to rag the media.

Well, it's not like the media isn't guilty of doing the same to others. Most of us who work in any sort of public safety field are not huge fans of the media most days.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here "the news" should be renamed "the bad news". Fewer and fewer stories like the one above where someone does something nice.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

star1151

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 01, 2007, 04:32:23 AM
Yes, he did enlist. You hae to enlist in any military servioce. Then you either can be enlisted or commissioned. But you still enlist

If you believe the media knows the difference.

But in any event, good for him!

dogboy

QuoteWell, it's not like the media isn't guilty of doing the same to others. Most of us who work in any sort of public safety field are not huge fans of the media most days.

Also, note: this isn't this your hometown Podunk Press. The infamously liberal Los Angeles Times has the fourth largest circulation in the country at 1,200,000 daily.

Tags - MIKE