USCGAUX is adopting the CAP levels

Started by N6RVT, July 19, 2021, 02:53:09 PM

N6RVT

Found out in a call last night that the USCGAUX now has training levels that roughly equate to the levels in CAP.  And surprise, there are five levels, and they correspond to the levels of leadership.

So now I'm doing level 1 again.  How nostalgic.  The USCG levels are almost all FEMA courses, and a lot of it is definitely applicable to CAP.  Documenting and progressing through it looks like doing a CAP specialty track, actually.

There is also concern that the elected leader system is no longer functional.  They may copy CAP here as well.

RiverAux

There have been levels of leadership training in the Aux for quite a long time.  Some re-branding to make it a bit more obvious what the progression should be might be helpful.  However, I've never heard of any FEMA courses being related to the actual leadership levels.  There are FEMA courses associated with the ICS-training that the CG seems to want to get the Aux more involved in. 

The biggest gap is that there are no training requirements associated with various staff officer levels that would roughly correspond with CAP specialty tracks.  However, for some, but not all, of the Aux staff officer positions there is an associated qualification that to some extent takes care of the basics.

N6RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on July 19, 2021, 03:58:21 PMThere have been levels of leadership training in the Aux for quite a long time.  Some re-branding to make it a bit more obvious what the progression should be might be helpful.  However, I've never heard of any FEMA courses being related to the actual leadership levels.  There are FEMA courses associated with the ICS-training that the CG seems to want to get the Aux more involved in.
http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=AUX60&category=level-1-ldr-certificaticatio

That may not be visible to anyone not also in USCGAUX, but for those who cannot see it, its essentially a worksheet for the USCGAUX level 1, and IS-242.b is part of it.  And really should fit into CAP training somewhere, its about how to effectively communicate and was really useful.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 20, 2021, 03:21:56 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 19, 2021, 03:58:21 PMThere have been levels of leadership training in the Aux for quite a long time.  Some re-branding to make it a bit more obvious what the progression should be might be helpful.  However, I've never heard of any FEMA courses being related to the actual leadership levels.  There are FEMA courses associated with the ICS-training that the CG seems to want to get the Aux more involved in.
http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=AUX60&category=level-1-ldr-certificaticatio

That may not be visible to anyone not also in USCGAUX, but for those who cannot see it, its essentially a worksheet for the USCGAUX level 1, and IS-242.b is part of it.  And really should fit into CAP training somewhere, its about how to effectively communicate and was really useful.
IS242 is/was part of the PAO/PIO track for CAP PD and ES when I returned about 4 years ago. Good stuff.

RiverAux

Yeah, all this stuff is pretty voluntary (though certain courses included in this program are requirements for other tings) and doesn't come with any particular benefits (like the grade associated with the CAP program).  I don't think it is pushed very strongly. 

N6RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on July 20, 2021, 01:37:11 PMYeah, all this stuff is pretty voluntary (though certain courses included in this program are requirements for other tings) and doesn't come with any particular benefits (like the grade associated with the CAP program).  I don't think it is pushed very strongly.

In that Zoom meeting they were lamenting how few members had actually done the levels, and I had to point out I was on District staff, had been in since 2005 and had never heard of them before.

PHall

So it isn't just CAP that likes to keep stuff secret from their own membership?

RiverAux

Oh, I don't know about that.  There are a bajillion programs that someone could particpate in within CG Aux and its pretty easy to overlook an unrequired program when there are so many required things to do all the time.

JohhnyD

Quote from: PHall on July 20, 2021, 11:23:02 PMSo it isn't just CAP that likes to keep stuff secret from their own membership?
I call eServies the most amazing "information protect"ion program in cyber history!