USAF holds a bird Colonel to the standard...

Started by JoeTomasone, March 25, 2013, 08:39:48 PM

Flying Pig

Failed PFTs and got $12,000 and a discharge?  Wow.......  Guys in the Marines who got separated for failing PFTs barely got even a ride to the main gate!

Pylon

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 27, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
Failed PFTs and got $12,000 and a discharge?  Wow.......  Guys in the Marines who got separated for failing PFTs barely got even a ride to the main gate!

Guys in my unit who are failing to meet height/weight/body fat % standards will receive an Other Than Honorable discharge (for "failure to comply") and will lose their (combat) veteran status and all of their veteran benefits. There's no free cookie or pat on the back on the way out.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nuke52

Quote from: J2H on March 27, 2013, 01:41:41 PM
I was discharged early (DOS Rollback) due to multiple PT failures (4 in 24 mos)... the AF would rather kick out the experienced NCOs who may have run issues than retain them over hiring new blood... but that's above my paygrade.... did my 10 and got my honorable discharge and 12,000 dollar separation paycheck ;-)

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but this piqued my interest a little.  One of those "things that make you go 'hmmmm'"...  (hmm, hmm) (© C&C Music Factory, 1990)

You say you did your "10" and got out, but in your signature it says you were USAF from 2004-2012...  I fully admit I was NOT a math major in college, but in none of the many ways in which I attempted to calculate that did it come out to 10 years.  What gives?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

RogueLeader

Quote from: Nuke52 on March 27, 2013, 10:17:41 PM
I was discharged early (DOS Rollback) due to multiple PT failures (4 in 24 mos)... the AF would rather kick out the experienced NCOs who may have run issues than retain them over hiring new blood... but that's above my paygrade.... did my 10 and got my honorable discharge and 12,000 dollar separation paycheck ;-)

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but this piqued my interest a little.  One of those "things that make you go 'hmmmm'"...  (hmm, hmm) (© C&C Music Factory, 1990)

You say you did your "10" and got out, but in your signature it says you were USAF from 2004-2012...  I fully admit I was NOT a math major in college, but in none of the many ways in which I attempted to calculate that did it come out to 10 years.  What gives?

If he enlisted 1Jan04 and discharged 31Dec12, that would be 9 years.  Reserve/Guard time not in signature?  Not sure.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 27, 2013, 10:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nuke52 on March 27, 2013, 10:17:41 PM

If he enlisted 1Jan04 and discharged 31Dec12, that would be 9 years.  Reserve/Guard time not in signature?  Not sure.

That's still not the 10 years he claims.

Flying Pig

Id be more interested in the $12,000 pay out for failing multiple PFTs.

coudano

Maybe counting to the end of the total inactive ready reserve commitment.

huey

Where are u Jeff 10?

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 28, 2013, 12:46:55 AM
Id be more interested in the $12,000 pay out for failing multiple PFTs.

He got the $12,000 for getting out early "for the convience of the government".
The AF needed to reduce numbers to meet their cap for the end of the year.
So they gave "severence pay" to those who got out up to an year early.
He was going to be denied reenlistment due to the PFT fails, so he qualified for the DOS Rollback program.

cap235629

Quote from: Pylon on March 27, 2013, 05:28:54 PM

Guys in my unit who are failing to meet height/weight/body fat % standards will receive an Other Than Honorable discharge (for "failure to comply") and will lose their (combat) veteran status and all of their veteran benefits. There's no free cookie or pat on the back on the way out.

What branch of service?????  Army Regs say otherwise....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

AFI 36-3208 says
Quote5.28.2. The service of airmen discharged for unsatisfactory performance will be characterized as honorable or general (instructions for service characterization in Chapter 1, Section 1B, apply). However, if the sole reason for separation is for failure to meet physical fitness standards, then only an honorable characterization may be given.

Failure to comply would have to be wilful disregard to the PT program...i.e. they were on the fat boy program and either failed to go to manditory PT sessions, or gained weight while on the PT program....and not soly for failing to meet standards.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spaatzmom

Quote from: cap235629 on March 28, 2013, 07:14:10 AM
Quote from: Pylon on March 27, 2013, 05:28:54 PM

What branch of service?????  Army Regs say otherwise....

As in his sig    Jeffrey Hughes
SSGT USAF 2004-2012

Майор Хаткевич

I think question was directed at Pylon, in which case USMC.

sarmed1

It'll depend on actuall reason on the discharge; I have not heard of USAF actually booting anyone out for PT failure; it may be a contributing factor, ie poor OPR/EPR due to PT failure, not promoted due to PT failure etc etc.  People that are on medical PT waivers if not resolved in 1 year may be being "booted" as well, cant PT, but its a medical issue vs fat/flabby reason.  Other reason may be reduction in force/unit manning changes, mandatory re-education type stuff where your are given the choice move/change AFSC's or get out (they usually ask the people that they dont want around anymore)

So some of those reasons may still result in Honroable discharges and seperation payments

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

bflynn

I would have been more impressed if they had held a full bird colonel to the standard related to low level acrobatic maneuvers in a B-52.

This doesn't impress me, it makes me wonder what they consider important.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 29, 2013, 02:15:08 PM

It'll depend on actuall reason on the discharge; I have not heard of USAF actually booting anyone out for PT failure; it may be a contributing factor, ie poor OPR/EPR due to PT failure, not promoted due to PT failure etc etc.  People that are on medical PT waivers if not resolved in 1 year may be being "booted" as well, cant PT, but its a medical issue vs fat/flabby reason.  Other reason may be reduction in force/unit manning changes, mandatory re-education type stuff where your are given the choice move/change AFSC's or get out (they usually ask the people that they dont want around anymore)

So some of those reasons may still result in Honroable discharges and seperation payments

mk

During my time at Malmstrom probably 15-30 Airman (at least) were kicked out specifically for failure to meet PT standards. 4 failed tests in 2 years and it is mandatory you face a retention board. A number of the folks getting kicked out have gotten precisely $0 in separation pay. They are simply let go and told 'thanks for serving.' It's decided by a board of I believe 6-8 officers equal or higher in rank to anyone being considered for removal.

PHall

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on March 30, 2013, 02:47:25 AM
Quote from: sarmed1 on March 29, 2013, 02:15:08 PM

mk

During my time at Malmstrom probably 15-30 Airman (at least) were kicked out specifically for failure to meet PT standards. 4 failed tests in 2 years and it is mandatory you face a retention board. A number of the folks getting kicked out have gotten precisely $0 in separation pay. They are simply let go and told 'thanks for serving.' It's decided by a board of I believe 6-8 officers equal or higher in rank to anyone being considered for removal.

The folks who got the money just happened to time it right and were able to take advantage of the DOS Rollback program.
They weren't going to be able to reenlist due to their PFT fails which made them prime targets for the DOS Rollback program.

Private Investigator

Also doesn't the enlisted men/women who HYT out get a severance package?

Nuke52

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 30, 2013, 06:58:59 PM
Also doesn't the enlisted men/women who HYT out get a severance package?

I'm not certain--I'd bet PHall knows--but I don't believe so. For the retirement-eligible they just retire at the appropriate time, no extra cash or fanfare. For those who aren't retirement-eligible, they just separate, and that's it.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd