Main Menu

USAF support

Started by sarmed1, June 24, 2011, 03:58:46 AM

sarmed1

Non-VSAF.  I am looking at the likelyhood of having to give a brief to my reserve unit on the "backscrathing" of them allowing me to perform CAPRAP as an additional duty assignemnt.  Basically they have been allowing me to burn off left over AT and do some reschedules to support CAP functions as a CAPRAP NCO additional duty.  Someone finally asked in a meeting the other day of what the benefit to the squadron was of allowing me to do this...... and so the chief nurse let it slip that I would likely be needing to provide more than just an written AAR after my next tour.  Part 1 sounded like a brief to  junior enlisted on the benefits/options of the CAP program, I assume as a CAPRAP or geeral CAP memebrship.  Part 2 sounds like a brief to the command element on what CAP can do for them.

I am looking for some input from those on CAPTALK on what you think are some realistic things CAP can do for my squadron (medical) or bigger my reserve wing; beyond the vauge catagories mentioned in AFI 10-2701.  For some specific local capabilites I am stationed at JRB McGuire/Dix/Lakehurst.

Also if anyone out there has a good CAP capabilities/overview presentation I would love a copy

thanks
mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

FW

There is a CAP "CAPabilities" pamphlet you can download from eservices. 

What can CAP members do for your reserve unit?  How about serve as "wounded" for an exercise....

CAPRAP reservists usually get unpaid "points" for supporting a local CAP unit or activity; something done in addition to your unit drill and AT.  It's very rare that a reserve unit will allow AT man days to go towards CAP.

I think you have been very fortunate. 

sarmed1

I find myself very fortunate in that regards..... the alternative to "use up" AT days is home station annual tour; which pretty much consists of busy work around the squadron; rarely anything more than cleaning.  So I assume CAP support is looked upon as at least something productive (and based on my usual summer activity participation, I am doing something medical both in skill maintaining and teaching so it plays into my AF job)

mk

RiverAux

There was a general CAP presentation on the web site at some point.  Maybe on the public affairs page? 

NIN

Ping Nick McLarty over at CadetStuff (I am unsure if Nick is a member here). He's a USAFR cop down in Texas (yeah, you can hassle him over it) who did the CAP-RAP gig for 2-3 years, so he might have some good gouge here for your back-brief needs.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

As a RAP you should have direct contact with the State Director, he should be able to articulate it for you, though as said,
in nearly all cases CAP is considered ADY, and for a good portion of the RAPs it's personnel who would otherwise have been
separated.

You might have to chalk this up to "it was great while it lasted" and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

I know Nick personally, there are many more reasons than just being a USAFR cop to hassle him about.  I would say the bulk of what I do as a CAPRAP NCO is points only and non conflicting with regualr UTA responsabilities (I think it helps, as I found out recently, the wing command chief is a CAP member as well)

I have some generic PPT/briefing material, was more hoping someone had something a little more stellar

thanks so far
mk

JC004

I did have one but I haven't used it since probably 2007 or something.  I'd have to dig and I haven't had much luck finding some of my other old stuff yet.  A lot of it got archived because I didn't have sufficient storage.

NIN

Quote from: sarmed1 on June 26, 2011, 06:30:22 PM
I know Nick personally, there are many more reasons than just being a USAFR cop to hassle him about.

I feel for you, man. I really do.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.