Main Menu

USAC Questions

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 08, 2011, 01:10:35 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: COL Land on May 08, 2011, 08:18:00 AM
The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) is a community-based, Army-centric, Cadet program similar to the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) and Young Marines (YM).    USAC purchased the campus of the former Millersburg Military Institute, in Bourbon County, Kentucky, in September 2008.  Since then, nearly 1000 young Cadets have passed through the gates of the National Cadet Training Center (NCTC) to experience Army life firsthand. 
http://www.goarmycadets.com/

Gee, I wonder why the US Army doesn't directly support your organization, while other organizations listed in your post get that support from the military??? and also why on your website (unless I'm missing something) one can't find the local units one can visit and see if they want to join ???
RM

Major Lord

You might try searching for them under their former name of "American Cadet Alliance" (ACA) They had multiple branch cadet groups but as I understand it, they are now exclusively Army. As a Naval cadet program, they have been in the business for a long long time, and have a number of advantages over CAP. This is not a Tony Pineda spin-off group.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jacob

Has CAP ever done any training or joint events with any of these other groups?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Major Lord on May 08, 2011, 02:58:57 PM
You might try searching for them under their former name of "American Cadet Alliance" (ACA) They had multiple branch cadet groups but as I understand it, they are now exclusively Army. As a Naval cadet program, they have been in the business for a long long time, and have a number of advantages over CAP. This is not a Tony Pineda spin-off group.

Major Lord
Thanks -- I'll look, BUT I would think that since the poster is listing a website for this organization they would be willing & able to post where all there cadet units are located and a contact point at that unit similar to Civil Air Patrol does.
RM

Persona non grata

Colonel Land's Cadet Corp is very high speed and professional.  I would highly encourage any person who meets the above qualifications to apply. This organization has worked in conjunction with CAP before.  If there was a nearby unit in my area I would support them in any way I could just like I have for JROTC units. 
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Fubar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 08, 2011, 01:10:35 PM
Gee, I wonder why the US Army doesn't directly support your organization, while other organizations listed in your post get that support from the military??? and also why on your website (unless I'm missing something) one can't find the local units one can visit and see if they want to join ???
RM
Why bust their chops? They appear to be working quite hard to train American youth in a military manner. Their national training facility must take an enormous amount of work to maintain and run. Anybody willing to work that hard to train future leaders has earned my respect.

Obviously they're in the building stages where they don't have a lot of local units yet. They certainly seem to be off to a good start.

COL Land

Answering your questions...

The U.S. Army Cadet Corps conducts seven weeks of training at the National Cadet Training Center in Millersburg, Kentucky.  In the past, we've received personnel from the Army Reserve; however, funding and personnel are not available for this summer's programming.   Therefore, we are hiring support personnel to augment our regular cadre. 

There is not a unit locator online due to the constant flux of a growing program.  However, any adult who contacts us about service with USAC is responded to within three business days.   Unfortunately, there are thousands of young people who would like to participate in USAC, but there is not a unit nearby.   In time, that will be resolved.  Remember, we operate this program with a very small - and almost all volunteer - staff.   A great deal of work is being done with the Army and Congress to expand the footprint of USAC; however, it is a very slow and tedious process. 

Of note, we are a "career exploration" program, providing an extremely realistic view of Army life.  As a result, approximately 65% of our Cadets who stay with the program 18+ months go on to serve in a uniform (military, law enforcement, fire fighting and emergency response).   We are not recruiters, nor funded through recruiting dollars in any way.

For details on the history of the lineage of USAC, as well as the National Cadet Training Center, feel free to review this publication:    http://www.goarmycadets.com/mydocuments/us_army_cadet_book_fnl.pdf 

For more official guidance on our program, go to http://www.goarmycadets.com/mydocuments/acpam210_1.pdf .

Brig Gen Carr was the guest of BG Tornow, CG, USAC, at our recent Parade of Cadets in Millersburg.  Photos can be found here:  https://picasaweb.google.com/josephland/102ndAnniversaryBirthdayBall# . 

The purpose of my posting is to identify summer staff, rather than to attract interest to USAC as a whole.  We do not actively recruit adults from CAP, NSCC or Young Marines.   However, approximately 20% of our cadre - virtually all with an Army background - currently serve with both programs.  We are very receptive to CAP on the NCTC and are looking at ways to conduct cooperative training for our programs.

Respectfully,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: COL Land on May 08, 2011, 04:32:48 PM
Answering your questions...

The U.S. Army Cadet Corps conducts seven weeks of training at the National Cadet Training Center in Millersburg, Kentucky.  In the past, we've received personnel from the Army Reserve; however, funding and personnel are not available for this summer's programming.   Therefore, we are hiring support personnel to augment our regular cadre. 

There is not a unit locator online due to the constant flux of a growing program.  However, any adult who contacts us about service with USAC is responded to within three business days.   Unfortunately, there are thousands of young people who would like to participate in USAC, but there is not a unit nearby.   In time, that will be resolved.  Remember, we operate this program with a very small - and almost all volunteer - staff.   A great deal of work is being done with the Army and Congress to expand the footprint of USAC; however, it is a very slow and tedious process. 
Hmm, I'm still at a loss why you would not at least publish for the public to see what units you currently have in each state and the contact points ???.  Even with CAP sometimes personnel drive a fairly long distance until they have some experience and than will start their own unit.  Also performing a quick google news search I can't seem to come up with ANY local units with any news of their activities (except at your HQ location) ??? :angel:

Looking at the other material provided it looks to me like that your organization is trying to become to the Army what the Civil Air Patrol cadet program is to the Air Force, BUT in my opinion will have a very difficult time recruiting and retaining teenagers and adults because of the time requirements for your program.
RM   

Eclipse

The ACA has been around in one form or another for over 100 years.  In their specific areas of training they have a hirer standard of expectation for adults and their cadets than CAP (or any other similar organization I am aware of).

They are what they are and aren't trying to be anything they aren't.

What is your point in making these slanted assertions?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I don't see anything particularly sinister in not having local units listed though from a public affairs standpoint that is an insane oversight. 

But, I'm not quite sure why announcements soliciting people to join other organizations are being posted on CAPTalk in the first place.  Talking about other groups is one thing since I think that there are always things to learn from other organizations and it is certainly ok to respond if a CAP member posts a question about another group, but its not cool to go on a CAP site and try to recruit for someone else. 

manfredvonrichthofen

I have spoken with COL Land via PM before. He has no sinister intent by posting about ACC here. He is very informative and is wanting organizations such as CAP and ACC to work together in more ways than just cadet programs or ES. COL Land and I both see many fruits to harvest by CAP and ACC coming together to have units from both organizations to work together and educate both groups about who we are and what we do. There is nothing wrong, to me with him posting about opportunities in ACC. It is very informative, and many CAP members have dual memberships in things such as CGA and BSA along with CAP. I know I would be a member of ACC as well as CAP if I had the time for both, as it stands I only have time for CAP. I wish I had more.

If you go onto the ACC website and look at what they have you will see that it is a great program for both cadets and adults. If you Google ACC and don't just click for the homepage you can find more information on individual officers and you will see that their members are just as dedicated as our most dedicated members, they give their time money and effort for their program just as we do.

NCRblues

The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) is a community-based, Army-centric, Cadet program similar to the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) and Young Marines (YM).    USAC purchased the campus of the former Millersburg Military Institute, in Bourbon County, Kentucky, in September 2008.  Since then, nearly 1000 young Cadets have passed through the gates of the National Cadet Training Center (NCTC) to experience Army life firsthand. 

RM

Ya, I'm pretty sure your trolling this board.

You constantly remind us that CAP is distant from the AF, and you would like it to be even more distant. Then you turn around and attack another group because they aren't military enough....

I was AF, not army, but if i had the time, i would love you work with them.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: NCRblues on May 08, 2011, 08:01:53 PM

RM

Ya, I'm pretty sure your trolling this board.

You constantly remind us that CAP is distant from the AF, and you would like it to be even more distant. Then you turn around and attack another group because they aren't military enough....

I was AF, not army, but if i had the time, i would love you work with them.
Your post is strange. :o -- I'm not trolling anything.  You post something and if I have a comment I will post it, I don't think my statements/questions are wrong ???  The organization did attempt to answer about their support by the military.

Surely a youth development organization (that publicly won't tell you where all their units are) that is recruiting former Drill Instructors for paid staff positions at a summer camp for 12 year olds, would seem to be very big on military type activities, wouldn't you say ???

As far as CAP is concerned we are governed by AFI 10-2701, and unless a CAP member is wearing an AF type uniform, the Air Force could care less whether we are wearing a golf shirt or even a red jump suit with the triangle thing, as long as we get the assigned mission done.  I think our cadet program is reasonable and has a good mix of educational, practical, and military type training, delivered at a reasonable cost and reasonable travel distance for most teenagers and adults that support the program :clap:
RM         

Major Lord

Your well deserved reputation for nay saying notwithstanding ( and I am a notorious skeptic myself and fully sympathize) I would think you would led some credibility to the many CAP members who are dual ACA/CAP members. If anything,  CAP should be flattered that Colonel Land would be conducting a talent hunt on a board like this, since CAP is well known for harboring a large number of limp wristed, whiny, bed-wetting types. His posting suggests that there may be a few good men left in CAP; possibly even on this board!

Col Land knows what he is doing, and anyone remotely affiliated with it knows that "his" program is a tremendous success, one which CAP would do well to emulate.  If my health was better, I would be honored to be a part of their program, even as a floor sweeper or blister-checker.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

The CyBorg is destroyed

RM, what's your angle on dumping on the USAC, not to mention disrespecting a senior officer like Colonel Land?

From what I've seen of them, their cadets, adult Officers, Warrant Officers and NCO's are a lot more "military" than CAP is becoming, thanks in no small part to those "corporatists" who want us completely away from the Air Force to be little more than an ES group with airplanes.  I wish I'd known about them as a kid; my dad was Army (two years active, two years National Guard) and I would have eaten something like that up.  As well, these adults have to EARN their rank; they don't just get to be in six months and handed looie bars.

If I had the time or qualifications (I have no Army experience or background), I would jump at Colonel Land's offer.

I'm pretty close to having enough time in to retire from CAP.  If I decide to do that, and if certain segments of CAP continue their anti-military influence, I just might go the "blue-to-green" route and see what use the USAC can make of me.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CyBorg on May 08, 2011, 11:46:26 PM
RM, what's your angle on dumping on the USAC, not to mention disrespecting a senior officer like Colonel Land?

I'm pretty close to having enough time in to retire from CAP.  If I decide to do that, and if certain segments of CAP continue their anti-military influence, I just might go the "blue-to-green" route and see what use the USAC can make of me.
I'm not disrespecting anyone, that organization came to this board trying to recruit, I just got a bit interested and did some very minor web research which lead to some other specific questions -- all of which have not been adequately answered.   BTW when one retires from the military they become a PFC, their only respect they get for their rank is at the security gate at a military base.  No one else really cares :( 

BTW if you want to go play army with other grown men (former & retired army) re-living the dream and give basic training with those former army drill instructors  to 12 year old's at summer camp go for it :angel:

So what do you think their active cadet total is?  Perhaps under 1000, under 500?  Likely a very small player in youth development, and likely looked at in most communities as a fringe para military group (even more than Civil Air Patrol :()

I remain very skeptical of any so called nationwide youth development organization, that is allegedly community based that won't post to their website ALL their local chapters/units locations & contact points, so anyone that has an interest can just drop in to observe the local unit's training.  That's the way it is folks.
RM 

Nilsog

Don't feed the troll, people. I think if we all ignore him long enough he may just fade away.

I would do this in a heartbeat if I could get the time away from work. Im still trying to fanagle some swaps so I can make it to encampment this year.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 01:36:29 AMI'm not disrespecting anyone, that organization came to this board trying to recruit, I just got a bit interested and did some very minor web research which lead to some other specific questions -- all of which have not been adequately answered.   BTW when one retires from the military they become a PFC, their only respect they get for their rank is at the security gate at a military base.  No one else really cares.
Wow!  Just wow. Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 01:36:29 AM
BTW if you want to go play army with other grown men (former & retired army) re-living the dream and give basic training with those former army drill instructors  to 12 year old's at summer camp go for it :angel:

So what do you think their active cadet total is?  Perhaps under 1000, under 500?  Likely a very small player in youth development, and likely looked at in most communities as a fringe para military group even more than Civil Air Patrol

I remain very skeptical of any so called nationwide youth development organization, that is allegedly community based that won't post to their website ALL their local chapters/units locations & contact points, so anyone that has an interest can just drop in to observe the local unit's training.  That's the way it is folks.

You really should just knock it off, it's one thing to make an argument based on merit, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and it is clear you are just trolling to push people's buttons.  The ACA, and a lot of people here are members of both, is
a highly-respected organization with strong history of success.  Their relative size does not diminish that, nor does your personal failure at internet research.

You're amazing, man.  You dance around here lauding the efforts of groups that most CAP members want to distance themselves from, yet you think it is perfectly fine to denigrate CAP's military lineage and connections, and further, insult through negative insinuation, people who have an even stronger military affiliation.

"That Others May Zoom"

adamblank

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2011, 02:44:13 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 01:36:29 AMI'm not disrespecting anyone, that organization came to this board trying to recruit, I just got a bit interested and did some very minor web research which lead to some other specific questions -- all of which have not been adequately answered.   BTW when one retires from the military they become a PFC, their only respect they get for their rank is at the security gate at a military base.  No one else really cares.
Wow!  Just wow. Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 09, 2011, 01:36:29 AM

So what do you think their active cadet total is?  Perhaps under 1000, under 500?  Likely a very small player in youth development, and likely looked at in most communities as a fringe para military group even more than Civil Air Patrol

You really should just knock it off, it's one thing to make an argument based on merit, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and it is clear you are just trolling to push people's buttons.  The ACA, and a lot of people here are members of both, is
a highly-respected organization with strong history of success.  Their relative size does not diminish that, nor does your personal failure at internet research.

You're amazing, man.  You dance around here lauding the efforts of groups that most CAP members want to distance themselves from, yet you think it is perfectly fine to denigrate CAP's military lineage and connections, and further, insult through negative insinuation, people who have an even stronger military affiliation.

+1
Adam Brandao

COL Land

Our two organizations are very similar in some aspects, yet very different in others.   We both have our challenges.  The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) is a much, much smaller organization than Civil Air Patrol (CAP), and will likely always be.  Our goal is not driven by size as much as quality and consistency.  We have a lot to learn from CAP.  As we make decisions regarding the future of USAC, we often look at CAP and learn from your experiences. 

In turn, I'd offer that USAC has some clear areas of excellence – primarily relative to military training, officer development and regulatory guidance – which are intended to be closely aligned with the standards and traditions of the United States Army.   Our strong alignment with the Army culture serves us well.   As a result, we are very well received by our Active, Guard and Reserve colleagues, at all levels of the Army, up to and including the Chief of Staff.   This is moving our program, albeit slowly, towards the level of support appropriate for our mission.

With the above said, none of that really has a bearing on this discussion, as the above posting was intended to offer short-term paid employment to individuals with very specific skills, in support of our summer training mission.  This is nothing more than a "Help Wanted" advertisement.  There is nothing "sinister" and there is no desire to recruit adults "to join USAC" from their volunteer positions within the CAP.   We have experienced such growth that we need to hire support personnel who will act as the consistent thread throughout our summer programs, supporting our unit-level officers and NCOs who come in for one to three weeks of Annual Training (AT).  This is actually a "good news" situation, as it's a reflection of our organizational growth and the quality of our programming.   

USAC provides a very realistic and high-speed career exploration program.  That realism is talent-intensive.  As a result, we are seeking individuals with a certain level of military professionalism, as well as a passion for Cadet programs.   I'd offer that while we should all be loyal to our organizations, our ultimate loyalty should be to the basic philosophies which programs such as CAP and USAC share...Loyalty, Honor, Duty and Service to Others.   In my 35 years in uniform (including time as a Cadet and while on active duty), my dedication has always been to the exceptional young people who wear a uniform, regardless of the color of that uniform or the patches, trinkets or ribbons they wear upon it.   

The basics of business (yes, a 501(c)3 is a business) tell us that in order to be successful you either grow talent internal to your organization or import talent from other organizations.   If there are Soldiers within the CAP ranks, or CAP officers who possess the talents we're looking for, then I'd be interested in speaking about our needs.  Again, this posting is for a short-term summer job.   The exact same announcement is posted on several military and Cadet-oriented sites throughout the Internet. 

Incidentally, in response to earlier comments, the average age of our Basic Cadet Training (BCT) recruits is 15 years old.  While we do enroll as young as 12, they are very rare (yet tend to do very well, when selected for enrollment).  We are certainly not a "fringe paramilitary group."  Last year we had 517 young people from 34 states and 11 countries travel to the National Cadet Training Center in Millersburg, Kentucky for training.  Why?  The quality and realism of our training and USAC's ability to fill a niche for young people who are seriously looking at the military as a potential career choice.   Readers may find this http://www.army.mil/media/amp/?bctid=37227869001 and this http://www.youtube.com/v/6Nlqjo2Pncg to be interesting.

USAC is anything but "COL Land's program."   I just happen to be the author of an occasional posting on this forum.  In actuality, the Commanding General (CG), BG Tornow, is in command of USAC, reporting to the Board of Directors for business and financial matters, while receiving the advice and support of 15+ general officers who sit on our Board of Advisors for military matters.  As his Chief of Staff, I carry out the day-to-day administration and operation of the program, executing "Commander's Intent." This is done through the Coordinating Staff Group (Assistant Chief of Staff and the Deputy Chiefs of Staff for Personnel (G1), Operations (G3), Logistics (G4), Strategic Communications (G5) and Training (G7)), while working with the Commander's Personal Staff (Deputy Commander, Command Sergeant Major, Senior Cadet Advisor, Executive Officer, Aide-de-Camp, Chief of Chaplains, Director of Health Services and Staff Judge Advocate).  I am honored to serve with some extraordinary professionals with hundreds of collective years of military and Cadetting experience.  It is through all of us that USAC is able to be successful, despite not yet enjoying the same budgetary and regulatory support provided to CAP, NSCC and YM. 

I understand that there are some who disagree with the decisions made by USAC's leadership regarding a number of matters.  I can appreciate those opinions.  However, I learned a long time ago that as a leader I will always solicit input from subordinates (or those outside the organization) for consideration; however, that input may or may not be implemented.  The bottomline is "when in charge, be in charge."   Therefore, the decisions of the CG, USAC are not really a matter for debate on this forum, as they are based on the needs, limitations and future objectives of the organization.  We don't have room for a lot of "barracks lawyering" in USAC.    Once a decision is made, good order and discipline as well as basic professionalism dictate that we "salute and execute" and make it happen.    As a result of a common focus on our mission, we tend to get the job done very well and with a great deal of efficiency. 

USAC is in a development and growth mode.  We are focusing on our relationship with the Army, development of expanded tools to be used in the formation of units, and polishing our policies relative to accession, assignment and promotion of USAC officers and NCOs.  Regular interaction with the Army, as well as with our lawmakers, continues to move us towards the various goals within our strategic plan and our published vision.   

If the Moderator(s) feel that my original posting is inappropriate for this forum, they are welcome to delete it.  However, as stated, this is nothing more than a posting which offers paid employment to Cadetting professionals with a specific skill-set.  If CAP wished to have a comparable posting sent throughout USAC, I'd certainly approve it.  In fact, I'd welcome it, as my officers would certainly benefit from first-hand exposure to a sister organization.   

If there are specific questions regarding the posted employment opportunity, or USAC overall, please feel free to contact me at joseph.m.landsr@armycadets.org .

Respectfully,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Colonel Land, in large part you're preaching to the choir, and those who aren't listening to you are quite obvious.

I offer my apologies to you for any disrespect you have received on this board.

I have done a bit of informal research on the Army Cadets and find your aims to be much the same as our Cadet side of the house, as well as the Young Marines and Navy Sea Cadet Corps.

And you have been around since 1909...longer than we have!

Continued success with the Army Cadets, sir.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Mustang

Quote from: COL Land on May 08, 2011, 04:32:48 PMThere is not a unit locator online due to the constant flux of a growing program.  .....   Unfortunately, there are thousands of young people who would like to participate in USAC, but there is not a unit nearby.

This is the primary why there is no USAC unit locator.  The number of local USAC units is embarrassingly small--perhaps a few dozen at most--as is the total membership--somewhere between 700-1000 members nationwide. 

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 08, 2011, 06:18:48 PMHmm, I'm still at a loss why you would not at least publish for the public to see what units you currently have in each state and the contact points ??? .  Even with CAP sometimes personnel drive a fairly long distance until they have some experience and than will start their own unit.  Also performing a quick google news search I can't seem to come up with ANY local units with any news of their activities (except at your HQ location) ??? :angel:

See above.  Most states do not have a USAC unit.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

My only exposure with ACA has been a couple semi-locals that despite my only seeing them at CAP related activities, they would tend to wear the USMC digital print uniform or service dress, and it's ACA labeling at CAP events rather than the CAP uniform, despite the cadet of the duo being a CAP member Spaatz recipient, thus obviously being fairly involved in CAP. 

Banquets, air shows, unit visits (including my own), at least in the low double digits. It was nice that an adult member was mentoring the cadet so much, but .. I'm pretty sure they didn't dress for CAP to go to the ACA events. So..

After I first saw that, I looked up just what ACA was and was rather impressed, but still a bit un-thrilled with these particular actions. Their uniform variants did look sharp and definitely would not pass the "low light" test, or in many cases, the bright light test either. I got the impression that ACA represented all branches and would usually affiliate with the locally represented branch. The web site did give preference to Army, but locally it was Marine themed. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: COL Land on May 09, 2011, 04:25:54 AM
Our two organizations are very similar in some aspects, yet very different in others.   We both have our challenges.  The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) is a much, much smaller organization than Civil Air Patrol (CAP), and will likely always be.  Our goal is not driven by size as much as quality and consistency.  We have a lot to learn from CAP.  As we make decisions regarding the future of USAC, we often look at CAP and learn from your experiences. 

USAC is in a development and growth mode.  We are focusing on our relationship with the Army, development of expanded tools to be used in the formation of units, and polishing our policies relative to accession, assignment and promotion of USAC officers and NCOs.  Regular interaction with the Army, as well as with our lawmakers, continues to move us towards the various goals within our strategic plan and our published vision.   

If the Moderator(s) feel that my original posting is inappropriate for this forum, they are welcome to delete it.  However, as stated, this is nothing more than a posting which offers paid employment to Cadetting professionals with a specific skill-set.  If CAP wished to have a comparable posting sent throughout USAC, I'd certainly approve it.  In fact, I'd welcome it, as my officers would certainly benefit from first-hand exposure to a sister organization.   

Respectfully,
Well the best of wishes in your quest to grow your organization.  I'm fairly sure you have good intentions.  As with the CAP Cadet program there can be quite a bit of movement in/out of the program and even the adult leadership burns out in some instances.  I can see why you have to pay personnel because of the length of the encampment.  Hopefully the US Army will be able to provide you more support (endorsements, personnel, facilities) in future.
RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on May 09, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
Their uniform variants did look sharp and definitely would not pass the "low light" test, or in many cases, the bright light test either.

They don't have that bloody silly criteria to meet, the way we do...nor do the Navy Sea Cadets.  I still wonder who the dim bulb was who came up with something so undefinable to impose on CAP.

I recently ran into an NSCC Ensign and he was wearing BDU's (he said the new Navy camouflage hasn't yet universally trickled down to the NSCC), subdued name/NSCC tapes and metal subdued grade.  I told him about some of the asinine "distinctiveness" restrictions stuck on us and he looked at me like "why?"

Quote from: a2capt on May 09, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
I got the impression that ACA represented all branches and would usually affiliate with the locally represented branch. The web site did give preference to Army, but locally it was Marine themed.

Not sure how long ago your experience was, but ACA used to have Navy and Marine "elements."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

COL Land

The American Cadet Alliance (Naval Cadets, Marine Cadets and Army Cadets) stood down on 10 Apr 09, the 100th Anniversary of the lineage of the program.  Although we pre-date both the Sea Cadets and Young Marines, our program was very regional (NY, NJ and PA) until about ten years ago.   Our Navy and Marine programs were redundant, so we went all-Army with the U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) that same day.   

The individual you are referring to (MarPat uniform) is no longer with the program.   He decided to create his "own" Marine Cadet Corps when we stood down our Marine program.  I don't know what became of it, but there's no indication that he is still in operation.

Sometimes the concept of..."The man (or woman) makes the uniform, the uniform doesn't make the man (or woman)."...gets a bit lost. 

Incidentally, the proper abbreviation for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps is "USAC," rather than "USACC," so as not to be confused with the U.S. Army Cadet Command.   "ACA" is no longer used, as the American Cadet Alliance is no longer an active organization). 

Respectfully,
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Sgt. Papa

Col Land, are there any units in Mass/New hampshire?

NIN

Quote from: ECCS4Life on October 27, 2011, 11:59:29 PM
Col Land, are there any units in Mass/New hampshire?

In case Colonel Land doesn't see this right away, no, there are no units in either Mass or NH.

Previously, there was a unit at Cp Fogarty in Rhode Island, which drew substantially from Mass.  That unit folded up, and a unit of another cadet organization came over into the USAC fold (2007-ish).  Unfortunately, that unit was unable to continue running, as well.

There was a unit meeting in Nashua, NH around the same time frame, but it never reached critical mass.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.