Main Menu

Ignore button

Started by RiverAux, February 16, 2010, 03:34:36 PM

RiverAux

Is there a way to set the system to ignore the posts of certain people?  This function is available on some other boards I'm on and it is a fairly useful way to deal with the trolls.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

^ So if hit this button, does your post just "not show up" in a thread??

Is it really that tough to skip posts that you know are "trolls"? 

Am I a "troll" because I don't place my name in the signature line?

Honestly, I am not a member of that many forums, and never saw this before. 

Eclipse

Generally an "ignore" button means that you won't see any of the person's post.  Others will, but you won't.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

MIKE

Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Here's what Wiki says about trolls
QuoteIn Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I can think of a poster that is inflammatory because of his overly vague posts asking questions that don't really have an answer and complaining when we don't do his research for him. I don't think his intent is malicious, merely clueless.

I can think of another poster that is intentionally inflammatory and goes on off topic rants using nearly every post to discredit CAP. I don't know if he is malicious or he just has an attitude problem.

And then there's Eclipse.... >:D Kidding Major. ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on February 16, 2010, 05:51:31 PM

Hey, we all go ad hominem once in a while.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Strick

If you can add this feature, I will buy you lunch 8)
[darn]atio memoriae

PHall

Can you make it "selective'? As in ignores all anonymous posts?

Pingree1492

Quote from: davidsinn on February 16, 2010, 05:51:31 PM
QuoteIn Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I can think of a poster that is inflammatory because of his overly vague posts asking questions that don't really have an answer and complaining when we don't do his research for him. I don't think his intent is malicious, merely clueless.

I can think of another poster that is intentionally inflammatory and goes on off topic rants using nearly every post to discredit CAP. I don't know if he is malicious or he just has an attitude problem.

Or can the mods just suspend/ban these two individuals (Pretty sure we can all guess who they are)?  They're the only two I'd use this feature on... while I may find others occasionally annoying they're certainly not trolls.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on February 16, 2010, 07:15:02 PM
Can you make it "selective'? As in ignores all anonymous posts?

This board doesn't allow anon posting in that sense.  But once you push ignore, you wouldn't see anything by that person
until you un-ignore them.

It solves a few things, allows the board to remain "open" for those who think that's a plus, and unclutters the nonsense from those that
aren't interested in the posts of particular members.  A pretty common feature.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

What about replies to the ignored postings; do you see the rest of the thread?

NIN

Maybe a "most ignored" listing accessible to everybody?

:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 17, 2010, 01:54:19 AM
What about replies to the ignored postings; do you see the rest of the thread?

On most boards only the "ignored" are left off, you'd still see replies to them, though I'm not sure of properly quoted text.

Considering the reason most people "ignore" someone, you don't usually miss what they have to say anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

I ignore people with my brain. >:D

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Eclipse

Whatever happened with this?

Can we still consider it or it is a non-option for this board?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Until they fix it so you can lock out "ignore" administrators/moderators posts for normal users... Pretty much.  It's not that I will not be ignored, but we need some sort or override/control to moderate effectively.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on March 31, 2010, 04:18:17 PM
Until they fix it so you can lock out "ignore" administrators/moderators posts for normal users... Pretty much.  It's not that I will not be ignored, but we need some sort or override/control to moderate effectively.

You mean as written that module allows us mortals to put the admin gods on ignore? When can we start? >:D

Kidding.

That is a pretty poor design choice on their part though.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on March 31, 2010, 04:18:17 PM

Well, even if we were silly enough to put a mod on ignore, any lock actions would still take effect, right?  So it would be use at your own risk
of being smacked on and not know it?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Correct.  I think the warnings system is technically independent of PMs also.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Why not just ignore people the old fashoned way...and not read anything by the offending persons?  It seems to me that the problem is one on a personal level within one's own mind rather than a feature on a forum.

And, really, if you can't handle some people's ideas because they are different than your own why on earth come to a discussion forum to begin with.  I come here so I can test my ideas against everyone else's...sometimes there is conflict but, in the end, my idea is made either valid or not in my mind based on the discussion.  A "virtual proving ground" in every sense of the metaphorical word.

I can't see what anyone would find so offensive to their beliefs and values here that would require ignorance, the act of ignoring..
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454