Main Menu

RE: A CAP kilt

Started by cap82-86, February 26, 2010, 05:42:07 AM

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Spike

^ Outstanding!  Now, I have never seen military members in kilts.  Where and who has them in the military? 

PHall

The Band of the Air Force Reserve has an "Official" Bagpipe Band and they do perform in their kilts.
They're the ones who designed the U.S. Air Force tartan. And it's an officially registered tartan too.

Cherokeepilot

The US military does have some but not all official recognition of tartans.  The tartan for the USAF is officially registered and accepted by the Lord Lion office in Scotland......kinda like a copyright office.  While the tartan is officially copyrighted doesn't mean that the tartan is officially accepted by the USAF.  The officially accepted tartans for the Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard have been officially accepted by the different services.

I think that the USMC had an official tartan first.  I do know that certain units of the USMC have registered different versions of the tartan for their individual unit.  Pretty much as have different units of the British, Canadian and other units have individual tartans for kilts and other clothing items.  .  The USMC has been fairly aggressive in developing trademarked and copyrighted clothing items including utility uniform cammo patterns.  The  USAF is fairly far behind in promoting & marketing of uniforms and clothing items.  I remember from quite some time back reading and hearing how the USAF didn't actually "own" the color pattern to the current service blue color but had borrowed it from another service which wears identical color for shirts and service dress variations.  The USMC not only own their cammo pattern designs, but generate income from licensing its patterns to different clothings and "gear" makers of equipment. 

If an individual unit wanted to wear kilts for certain occasions such as parades, weddings, dinning and other occasions, the unit could come up with a tartan to be registered and woven for just that unit.  The unit could turn around and sell the cloth and its licensing as a fund raiser.  I suspect with the current heavy handed approach to management by the national and various state headquarters, the ownership of the tartans would be betterheld by the booster clubs for any units. 

Having a registered tartan is fairly easy to obtain.  I find it kinda funny how Sony and various other companies from Japan are quite big on having tartans, but are big on employees wearing Kilts on formal occasions including marketing occasions.  I can say that nothing draws a bigger crowd than a pipe band.

Spike

I love bagpipes.  I think it is one of the most unique instruments ever invented.  Then again, I think anything that can make noise is awesome cool.   :D

Cherokeepilot

There is nothing quite like "Amazing Grace" played with the pipes.
73s

CadetProgramGuy

EMT-83

I just had this horrible mental image of my lieutenant climbing a ladder wearing one of those.

SarDragon

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 06, 2010, 04:38:30 AM
Any Firemen out there?

http://www.sportkilt.com/product/9191/Turnout-Kilt.html

That is a hoot! I've got some fluorescent orange fabric that would look great. The socks might be a problem, though. What an item to wear on St. Patrick's Day.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Various Commonwealth units use kilts.

Aussies:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/6_RVR_ANZAC_Day_2006.jpg

Canadians:
http://400pipeband.com/

As a descendant of Theobald FitzWalter, Duke of Ormonde, I would gladly wear a kilt.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on March 06, 2010, 09:21:23 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 06, 2010, 04:38:30 AM
Any Firemen out there?

http://www.sportkilt.com/product/9191/Turnout-Kilt.html

That is a hoot! I've got some fluorescent orange fabric that would look great. The socks might be a problem, though. What an item to wear on St. Patrick's Day.

Were I come from, the police would place you in to protective custody if you wore ORANGE on Saint Patrick's Day. It is considered HIGHLY offensive and a danger to the wearer........
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Spike

Quote from: cap235629 on March 06, 2010, 06:17:29 PM
Were I come from, the police would place you in to protective custody if you wore ORANGE on Saint Patrick's Day. It is considered HIGHLY offensive and a danger to the wearer........

Reminds me of a time when my Brother decided I needed reminding of my Irish heritage (very small percent BTW).  I turned the shower on, got in and two minutes later the water turned green.  It took two days for the dye to go away, and my Parents were not pleased that the shower floor and walls were green longer than I was. 

I will now go buy myself a Shamrock Shake at McDonald's!!  Happy St Patricks day everyone!  Yes it is too early to say that, but I may not remember to say it on the actual day.   ;)