Main Menu

RE: A CAP kilt

Started by cap82-86, February 26, 2010, 05:42:07 AM

cap82-86

Regarding the CAP Kilt The TewMac Squadron was based in Tewksbury MA. The Squadron self supported financially and the heritage of the airport owner this was part of the tribute to the  family.This was a rifle drill team & highland dance that would perform to help offset the cost of the quanson hut which the squadron was based.I do not Know if it was regulation uniformed in MA . The Kilt tartan was of the Maclaren family that had established the airport. The Civil Air Patrol squadron was established in 1952 To 1997.

CadetProgramGuy

And 39-1 says we can wear the kilt how?

(or the many pointless ICL's?)

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Cherokeepilot

All service branches have a registered tartan which may be woven into material for a kilt.  A number of years ago, I had started an info request up the food chain about CAP registration of a tartan.  A number of public corporations and private organizations have their own individual registered tartans.  The tartans usually reflect colors associated with that organization.

I had tried several different tarten weves based on the historic colors for CAP of Yellow, Red, and Blue from the WWII era.  Looked alright, but someone with a better understanding of heritage colors in weaving needed to be involved.  The idea didn't go very far.

I did request and received permission to wear my family tartan kilt with proper jacket at this years NSC.  Well received by most folks, but did hear some opposition comments at the dinner.  Not everybody is happy to see a properly attired man for dinner.
73s

ColonelJack

Well, I don't know about a CAP kilt (but I'd love to help design one!) ... but I do know that any kilt looks GREAT with a mess dress jacket.

Absolutely freaking stunning, in fact.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Lord

Hey, if people can wear a Yarmulke, we should be able to wear our kilts! Anyone who opposes it is obviously an anti-anglo racist and a hate monger, and there is no room in CAP for that kind of un-American thinking ;D

Major Lord
Clanranald
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Irishrenegade

Being Irish...I am all for implementing this. They really do look stunning.
SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

tdepp

Don't we already have enough uniforms as it is?
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Irishrenegade

^^ to true...But whats one more to the list...they are getting rid of one so this could be its replacement
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Major Lord

I have seen photos of lots of military weddings with the mess dress/kilt combo. Is this technically authorized in regulations anywhere?

Major Lord

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Lord on February 26, 2010, 01:33:56 PM
Hey, if people can wear a Yarmulke, we should be able to wear our kilts!

Where are those authorized?

"That Others May Zoom"

Irishrenegade

I dont think they are stated in CAP regs from what I have read. Something tells me we would have to get permission to do so.
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2010, 03:47:18 PM

39-1 Major.

Quote1-7. Wear of Religious Apparel. Members may wear certain visible items of religious apparel while
in uniform. Religious apparel is defined as articles of clothing or dress that are part of the doctrine or
traditional observance of the religious faith practiced by the member. Hair and grooming practices are
not included in the meaning of religious apparel. Jewelry of a religious nature must conform to
standards set forth in this regulation for wear of non-religious jewelry. Religious head coverings are
authorized only when military headgear is not authorized. Head coverings must be plain dark blue or
black without adornment. Also, they may be worn underneath military headgear if they do not interfere
with the proper fit or appearance of the headgear. For example, Jewish yarmulkes meet this requirement
if they do not exceed 6 inches in diameter.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tdepp

So, what if someone with African roots wanted to wear traditional tribal garb that was not religious? Or a Native American wanted to wear tribal garb that was not religious?  Or what if I, of German descent, wanted to wear lederhosen with my uniform?  I think that's why uniforms are called "uniforms"--so we all show we are on the same team with a uniformity of purpose for our nation.  It is also a way to identify who we are to the public.  It would be like members of a football team each wearing different kinds of jerseys during a game.  The religious items I understand.  But cultural items?   
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Irishrenegade

Kilts are not always...and i repeat...not always cultural. With the world so diverse these days I think everyone adopted eachothers cultures. Its alot of time all perspective.

Along with that...if the USAF and other military branches use/wear kilts then I don't see the harm in it...granted we do have an over abundance of uniform selections...
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Ned

Well, I'm thinking that members within the weight limit could wear the USAF tartan, but with a grey sporran.

Our  "members of size" will have to wear a Corporate Tartan, I suspect.  But the good news is that they can wear a hard metal clan badge as a kilt pin!

Ned Lee
Member, Scottish-American Military Society

Irishrenegade

Quote from: Ned on February 26, 2010, 05:03:23 PM
Well, I'm thinking that members within the weight limit could wear the USAF tartan, but with a grey sporran.

Our  "members of size" will have to wear a Corporate Tartan, I suspect.  But the good news is that they can wear a hard metal clan badge as a kilt pin!

Ned Lee
Member, Scottish-American Military Society

Co-sign
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Major Lord

Perhaps a board to approve Kilt wear based on submitted photographs? Kilts, like Spandex, are a privilege, not a right!

I propose we find a major CAP gathering to arrange the world's largest CAP-Kilt group photo. I dinna think the girlie-men have the stones to stan' aginna us!

Major Lord

Al Sayre

Quote from: davidsinn on February 26, 2010, 04:14:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2010, 03:47:18 PM

39-1 Major.

Quote1-7. Wear of Religious Apparel. Members may wear certain visible items of religious apparel while
in uniform. Religious apparel is defined as articles of clothing or dress that are part of the doctrine or
traditional observance of the religious faith practiced by the member. Hair and grooming practices are
not included in the meaning of religious apparel. Jewelry of a religious nature must conform to
standards set forth in this regulation for wear of non-religious jewelry. Religious head coverings are
authorized only when military headgear is not authorized. Head coverings must be plain dark blue or
black without adornment. Also, they may be worn underneath military headgear if they do not interfere
with the proper fit or appearance of the headgear. For example, Jewish yarmulkes meet this requirement
if they do not exceed 6 inches in diameter.

Does that mean a Pastafarian can wear a striped shirt, cutlass and eye patch?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Well, another one right down the crapper!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret