Squadron Patch Criteria

Started by JROB, February 06, 2010, 04:07:21 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: TACP on February 07, 2010, 03:31:19 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 07, 2010, 01:41:22 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on February 06, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
JROB..I think waiting until a cadet earns a Curry or a senior member completes Level i before presenting them with a squadron patch, is a great morale device. Just do it.

Just do what? Make up your own regs? There's a good example for cadets, eh?

Pretty sure there's no reg on that... Squadron patch is an optional uniform item, so the squadron would not be violating the regs by awarding it for an achievement.

+1 - Same would be for coins, ball caps, or anything else optional and approved.
However I'd have an issue if uniform items issued by the FCU program were withheld, because those are supposed to be sent to the
cadet.  Anything extra the unit is issuing is fine, though I would suggest it be documented as an SOP and reviewed by higher HQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

JROB

QuoteJROB..I think waiting until a cadet earns a Curry or a senior member completes Level i before presenting them with a squadron patch, is a great morale device. Just do it.

Well Like I stated when i was with another sqadron we were not allowed to wear it until we had our first achievement competed. After being awarded the patch IMHO it gave me ALOT of pride in my squadron and in its insignia. ( I have it framed)
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

RiverAux

Why in the world would you want to withhold a squadron patch from a new member?  It is not an award.  Has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. 

Spike

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 04:55:27 PM
Why in the world would you want to withhold a squadron patch from a new member?  It is not an award.  Has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

We are not "withholding" anything.  It is a military tradition, and since CAP is "quasi-military", it is a good tradition.  In my Squadron it has been the same tradition for over 50 years. 

Once a prospective member is accepted by National, they get the patch.  It is a "right of passage" from nonmember to member.  We call the new member up in formation, formal introductions are made, we procede through a fifty year old speech and the member takes the patch. 

It is nothing different than being able to order the "free Cadet Uniform".  A Cadet needs to be a member first.  Honestly, I don't give any uniform items out until the person shows up on the rolls.  Had a few bad apples take uniforms and never saw them again. 

I will say, it took a whole lot more for a new member to get the patch than it does now.  Pushups and things that would be considered hazing today were done.  So we have cut back on those aspects.   

Gunner C

I would say that this is a pretty good "rite of passage".  The member has a set number of things they have to do before becoming an "official member" of the unit.  These things are usually combined with good fellowship, handshakes, and back slaps.  I think this is a good thing for a unit to do.  It requires the buy-in of everyone.  Done correctly, this could be a great activity.

IceNine

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 04:55:27 PM

How is telling someone they can't have something the unit purchased until they are vested in the program "dumb"?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making people stay around for a couple months before you start giving them things.

Most of the patches are $3-$7 do that a few time with members that don't stick around and you'll get a sour taste in your mouth too.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

In my squadron we have a pretty thorough membership board process.  We make the applicant attend three meetings, have a face to face, board and then pay their dues.

Once that happens we present them as new member at the monthly award ceremony with their squadron CAP and squadron patch.

I disagree with with holding it until their Curry...because they are supposed to be in a complete uniform for their Curry.  If the squadron OI is that everyone is to wear their squadron patch.....then how can they be in a "complete" uniform?

With holding it until their encampment is just silly! 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 05:11:46 PM
We are not "withholding" anything.  It is a military tradition,
Just which military units don't let you wear their patch once you join that unit? 

Nevertheless, my comments were directed at those that were withholding the patch from MEMBERS until they have completed some arbitrary requirements. 

Should we not let them put the CIVIL AIR PATROL tapes on their uniforms until they complete Level 2? 

Should Wing patches only be worn by those that have been to a Wing Conference? 

Silly?  Of course, but that is what some of your are suggesting. 

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 06:34:26 PM
How is telling someone they can't have something the unit purchased until they are vested in the program "dumb"?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making people stay around for a couple months before you start giving them things.
Well, first off I guess the cadet uniform giveaway needs to end. 

But seriously though, if your squadron is so cash strapped that patches given to new members are a serious financial drain, then incorporate the price of the patch into squadron dues.  My squadron sold patches to the members directly. 

Spike

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 07:52:27 PM
Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 05:11:46 PM
We are not "withholding" anything.  It is a military tradition
Just which military units don't let you wear their patch once you join that unit?

Every single Army and Air Force Reserve unit.  You technically join, but until you are graduating basic training, reserve unit patches are usually not part of initial uniform.

This is the same thing as marathon teeshirts.  You pay to run, but you don't get the teeshirt until you complete the course.

This is a long standing military tradition of Armies all over the World.  You don't give the insignia of membership to someone who has not joined. 

NOW.....withholding uniform items that are part of the uniform until a Cadet or Senior Member promotes is WRONG.   

lordmonar

Well,

On the AD side of things...the only unit I have ever heard of doing something like that is the Thunder Birds.  Everyone has to go through an initation before they get their T-bird patch.

For me every unit I ever was assigned to they issued your patchs when you signed in to the orderly room.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TACP

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 07:52:27 PM

I'm going to guess you haven't actually been in the Army/Air Force... Just FYI, since I guess you hadn't heard yet, we are steep in tradition and history. Both services' members take a lot of pride in what they wear/earn, and some units/career fields add extra requirements. Personally, I received my Beret w/ Flash/Crest upon graduation of training, but when I got to my unit I was only allowed to wear the Flash (patch). I had to earn the right of wearing our Crest by completing the advanced training requirements. It's a right of passage, celebrated by the whole of the unit when completed, breeding morale and comradery when accomplished.
(Flash/Crest of the AF Black Beret if you don't understand: http://www.romad.com/graphics/littleflash.jpg)

QuoteShould we not let them put the CIVIL AIR PATROL tapes on their uniforms until they complete Level 2?

Should Wing patches only be worn by those that have been to a Wing Conference?

Brush up on your Uniform Manual as well.... Both of the above items are requirements, the squadron patch is not.

RiverAux

Okay, so there are some elite units that withold some uniform items until some criteria are met, but I'll assume that you were not arguing that some CAP squadrons are so elite that it is reasonable for them to follow that particular tradition rather than that found in the rest of the military. 

Now Spike makes a good potential point about Reserve units.  Assuming that he is correct, I can see their logic in witholding a patch until they're sure that a new recruit is actually going to be joining the unit on a permanent basis.  But, that isn't the case in CAP.  Once you join its pretty unlikely that you're going to go somewhere else anytime soon. 

But, I'm not sure that a squadron could impose such a uniform requirement without it being backed up by a Wing supplement to 39-1 that explicitly says that only members meeting certain criteria are authorized to wear certain squadron patches.   If such approval has been granted in writing, I may not like it, but thems the rules...

David Lewis

Basic trainees in the United States Air Force do not wear squadron patches until they are assigned to their first duty stations.  It wouldn't be appropriate for trainees to wear the patch of the Basic Military Training Squadron they are assigned to during training, as not everyone graduates.  Immediately upon arrival at every USAF unit I have ever been assigned to, people receive their squadron patches, at no cost to them, from the unit orderly room during their check-in process.  No secret handshakes, no dropping for 200 push-ups, no 50 wacks from the paddle, nada; bada-bing, bada-boom, here are your patches. 
David M. Lewis, MSgt, USAF (RET)
Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Deputy Commander, Gage County Composite Squadron NCR-NE-095
Former C/LtCol

jeders

WIWAC we played a little game to get our squadron patch. The cadet would have to stand at attention and answer a series of general knowledge questions (uniform, drill, etc.). At various points the patch would be touched to the uniform, and if you could grab it before it was removed, you got it. Otherwise, you kept answering questions until you got it. Each time it was placed on you, it was held there a little longer.

This was done pretty much as soon as you had a complete uniform together, so you could easily earn it before your Curry. First patch was free, subsequent patches were a dollar.

Seniors just paid a dollar for the patch, since most seniors wouldn't need it for their uniform anyways.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Rotorhead

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2010, 03:49:11 AM
Anything extra the unit is issuing is fine, though I would suggest it be documented as an SOP and reviewed by higher HQ.

This might prevent the nonsense like units that won't "allow" their cadets to wear the uniform until ____ (fill in the blank). That's completely outside the regs and needs to be stopped.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

arajca

The only instance of not allowing a cadet to wear the uniform I have seen is a unit requiring the new cadet to bring the fully assembled uniform in on hangers so it can be checked over before they wear it. If it's good, they're told to put it on. If not, they're told what to correct - if it can be corrected there (blues), the cadet corrects it and gets checked again. Usually it's good and they're told to get dressed.

That and requiring new cadets to meet grooming standards.

davidsinn

Quote from: arajca on February 08, 2010, 04:55:49 PM
The only instance of not allowing a cadet to wear the uniform I have seen is a unit requiring the new cadet to bring the fully assembled uniform in on hangers so it can be checked over before they wear it. If it's good, they're told to put it on. If not, they're told what to correct - if it can be corrected there (blues), the cadet corrects it and gets checked again. Usually it's good and they're told to get dressed.

That's what we do. It insures things are correct before they go wearing it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Rotorhead

Quote from: arajca on February 08, 2010, 04:55:49 PM

I know of least one squadron in COWG that insists cadets not wear the uniform until they make c/Amn.

Totally outside the regs.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Spike

I teach all new members how to iron and starch.  I take 15 minutes out of my meeting, take them in my office and demonstrate the techniques used.  When a member comes in with a uniform that looks like it was rolled in a ball before wear, they go to our restroom, and iron.

Taking pride in your uniform is important.

I would never haze a member in the process of getting the Squadron Patch.  The minute they "officially" show up in E-Services, I call that person up in opening formation and read a script about what the patch means, where it came from and how it is unique to CAP.  Then they salute, do an about face, I introduce the member to everyone and return them to formation.  I do expect the patch to be on the uniform the following week though.

Hawk200

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 08, 2010, 05:10:08 PMI know of least one squadron in COWG that insists cadets not wear the uniform until they make c/Amn.

Totally outside the regs.
Think I know which one you're talking about. And that's not all they do outside of regs.