SAR Teams or Crossing Guards?

Started by RiverAux, November 01, 2006, 11:10:26 PM

RiverAux

From CAP News Online:
QuoteNevada CAP teens forgo trick-or-treating for Nellis AFB patrol

Members respond to U.S. Air Force Security Forces request
November 01, 2006

NEVADA -- While other teenagers were out trick-or-treating Tuesday night on Halloween, young Civil Air Patrol members were patrolling Nellis Air Force Base's housing areas, thanks to a request from U.S. Air Force Security Forces for CAP to assist with traffic watch services, caution motorists that children were present, and give the impression of a larger security force presence.

Nellis is the home of many airman and their families, some of whom were making the rounds door-to-door filling their bags with candy and other treats.

The CAP teens gave up their traditional Halloween to augment base security forces. In all, 15 members participated, all of whom were gratefully acknowledged by a party hosted by Nellis Cadet Squadron and Clark County Composite Squadron.

This is an interesting use of CAP members.  I would like to know more about exactly how this was carried out. 

lordmonar

The base askes for volunteers to walk the streets with reflective vests and flash lights.  The Nellis Cadet Squadron was asked to help out as a public service, they also asked for active duty service men to assist.

How exactly is this any different the NBB except it is on a smaller scale?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chris Jacobs

I don't think it is any different than putting cadets out on a flight line at an airshow (NBB or local show), to keep people off the active taxi way.  I think the way that the article was presented though was interesting.  It made them sound like security forces and not cadets.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Eclipse

This is EXACTLY the kinds of things we are good at and should be doing more of.

Would you consider a police officer, charged with same duty any lesser an ES resource?

We need to help and respond where we are asked / needed.  That's what this is all about.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2006, 02:47:06 AM
This is EXACTLY the kinds of things we are good at and should be doing more of.

Would you consider a police officer, charged with same duty any lesser an ES resource?

We need to help and respond where we are asked / needed.  That's what this is all about.

I would concur.

It boils down to getting our name and resource availability out there.  Especially on AFBs, it's nice to scratch backs of those who most likely scratch ours.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

TankerT

So Kopp.... do you carry a back scratcher in your GT kit?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Matt

Quote from: TankerT on November 02, 2006, 03:03:57 AM

Gerber...  Err... Duct Tape... Nope, I have trainees for scratching...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Matt on November 02, 2006, 09:15:51 PM
Quote from: TankerT on November 02, 2006, 03:03:57 AM

Gerber...  Err... Duct Tape... Nope, I have trainees for scratching...
SO tell us, just how do you scratch your trainees...

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

SARChick

well..as it has been posted already...

there was a thing my squadron did that allowed a couple of us to shuttle people in oversized golf carts and others to show people where to park their cars at a horse park. its letting people know we are there. letting them see who we are. and having fun while we're at it!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget

Pylon

Community Service is a great aspect of our program, especially the cadet program.  I almost would consider it part of Character Development, in that, you hope to encourage your cadets to become upstanding citizens who will, later in life, continue to volunteer and contribute their time and resources to their community.

Plus, performing community service is a great way to gain positive exposure for our organization.  People see us out there doing good, and it gains us "brand recognition" from audiences we may have never otherwise reached.

These cadets deserve a pat on the back for giving up their Halloween to perform this volunteer service.  Service before self, after all.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SARChick

Quote from: Pylon on November 03, 2006, 06:08:15 PM
Community Service is a great aspect of our program, especially the cadet program.  I almost would consider it part of Character Development, in that, you hope to encourage your cadets to become upstanding citizens who will, later in life, continue to volunteer and contribute their time and resources to their community.

Plus, performing community service is a great way to gain positive exposure for our organization.  People see us out there doing good, and it gains us "brand recognition" from audiences we may have never otherwise reached.

These cadets deserve a pat on the back for giving up their Halloween to perform this volunteer service.  Service before self, after all.  :)

HOOAH
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget