Main Menu

Repeaters

Started by rroberts, January 04, 2010, 03:51:18 AM

rroberts

Is there a list of repeater locations?  I would like to mark the local repeaters on my maps to allow me to utilize a beam antenna on the car instead of just a standard whip.  If not, I'll ask our Comm Officer.

Thanks,
Bob

PHall

Yeah, ask your Comm Officer. Repeater locations and frequencies are classified as FOUO (For Official Use Only).

SarMaster

Semper Gumby!

Gunner C

Quote from: PHall on January 04, 2010, 04:40:31 AM
Yeah, ask your Comm Officer. Repeater locations and frequencies are classified as FOUO (For Official Use Only).
Better way to put it:

"Repeater locations and frequencies are unclassified but marked FOUO (For Official Use Only)."

FOUO is not a classification.

rroberts

Quote from: SarMaster on January 04, 2010, 01:43:39 PM
Beam on your car?

It's an antenna that can be highly focused in a certain direction.  It would allow you to reach a repeater from a mobile or portable radio from areas that you would not be able to reach normaly.  A beam antenna is usually 10-100 times more sensitive in the area it is pointed but typically has very limited reception in other directions.  The antenna would be good for talking back to a repeater or base station but would be horrible for receiving general transmission from a CAP so it would not well as a general base antenna. 

Not sure if I made sense or not.  I have been thinking about making a mobile comm setup that had an omni antenna for all local handheld communications and a beam antenna so that the local command post could talk to a more distant headquarters.  It would initially be two seperate transcievers, but if needed I would link the antennas and shift the receive / transmit ferequiences to in essance create a local repeater, but with two different antennas specifically designed for communications that would suit each antennas strongpoint.

SarMaster

I know what a beam is...i have built many of them.  How do you plan to use the beam in motion?  To get  100 times the 'sensitivity' you would need a 16 - 30 element antenna... Unless you were driving a bus thats not practical.   To build a 'repeater' with your omni and your beam you would need a duplexer or approx 50 feet seperation or the transmittion will cancel out the receiver.   Why dont you just get a portable flagpole type mast and make your omni taller to get more LOS?   
Semper Gumby!

Eclipse

Wait...this is a don't?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

He needs something to keep him busy during those frigid Wisconsin winters.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Are the locations of repeaters FOUO?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

They are in my wing, and I believe the region.  It's somewhat understandable, since they are an important strategic asset to operations.

They are referred to only by their designators.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2010, 11:30:15 PM
They are in my wing, and I believe the region.  It's somewhat understandable, since they are an important strategic asset to operations.

The CAP member only Comm pages have a repeater directory. Doesn't give you lat/long but gives you the general location of the repeater and it's designator.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2010, 11:30:15 PM

Here in INWG they are called out by designator and by the closest town. As for the exact location...I could tell you but then bla bla... ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RedFox24

Or this...... 27 antennas...........one was a wire loop. 

dont know what I am doing wrong but I cant get the picture to post............ ???

Edit:  Got it now!  Had to use Google Chrome.........
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

Eclipse

^ that looks like a reference to a local machine.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Oh, it's good to see my state representing on the tricked out rides pictures. Way to go Missouri!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

rroberts

Quote from: SarMaster on January 04, 2010, 07:28:54 PM
I know what a beam is...i have built many of them.  How do you plan to use the beam in motion?  To get  100 times the 'sensitivity' you would need a 16 - 30 element antenna... Unless you were driving a bus thats not practical.   To build a 'repeater' with your omni and your beam you would need a duplexer or approx 50 feet seperation or the transmittion will cancel out the receiver.   Why dont you just get a portable flagpole type mast and make your omni taller to get more LOS?
What I was thinking of would only be deployed when stationary once we have a location setup. 
I am new to Amateur Radio and will be taking my Technician test in the middle of the month.  I passed a practice test on eHam's website with a ~97%.  There is MUCH MUCH MUCH I do not know, but I am starting to learn.
The reason for the questions is I have been on two SAREX's in the last few months where I was part of a ground team that had issues reaching the HQ and a different SAREX where I was training for the MRO and we had trouble getting a hold of a team in the field.  We ended up using  cell phones but in a true emergency we may be out of cell coverage or the cell service may be jammed up by too much user traffic.
I would like to see if there would be a way to improve the chances for remote stations to reach a CAP usable repeater.
Thoughts?

PHall

Quote from: Gunner C on January 04, 2010, 04:39:47 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 04, 2010, 04:40:31 AM
Better way to put it:

"Repeater locations and frequencies are unclassified but marked FOUO (For Official Use Only)."

FOUO is not a classification.

Read it again hotshot. "are classified as", does not say it's classified. "are classified" would be saying that it classified.

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2010, 09:36:57 PM

Man a smokey would have a field day with that.  I can't even find the gearshift. :)  Oh wait, I see it now buried under the wires in the center console.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

Heh - a rollover becomes an on-site HAM Fest.

I have yet to figure out where the guy sits.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall