CivilAirPortal.com no more???

Started by Lancer, October 31, 2006, 02:09:44 AM

fyrfitrmedic

"How dare us" for voicing our opinion regarding the abrupt closing of the Portal. Perish the thought that someone might actually think that the matter could have been handled more gracefully... it's quite obviously a moot point, however.

I didn't see anyone bashing the Portal moderators in this thread [or any other, for that matter]; I, on the other hand, made an apparently-unsuccessful attempt at pointing out how any number of forums are almost exclusively moderator-run with not a great deal of 'hands-on' from the 'owner'. A couple of fire/rescue/EMS boards that I visit fit into this category, for example. There's also the concept in law enforcement called 'community policing', which emphasis on 'community'.

Insofar as 'punditry' goes, it's not necessarily an evil thing in and of itself... in moderation. The vast majority of us aren't among the Blansetts of the world. Besides, with all due respect to Tedda, taking shots at pundits on his part veers in the direction of 'pot kettle black'.

All that being said, thanks to the team who helped run the Portal while it lasted.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Smokey

Tedda,

Thanks for all your hard work......I truly believe it will be missed.  The hardest part was the lack of notice.....I was a "Portal Junkie" and do you realize how hard it is for a junkie to go cold turkey????

I understand about the cost....maybe you could have set up a PayPal account where we could have contributed to it.  I know I would have.

Any chance of someone taking it over???  I would but I'm not computer savvy enough to run that. Heck I have trouble at times with.....oh geez I forgot.

Also any chance of leaving up for a while the forums, but locking them?  I'd like to retrieve some information that I guess I always figured would be there.

That said.....I want my portal, I want my portal, I want my portal. 

Thanks for the memories.

Smokey
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.