How many Form 5 pilots to get an aircraft assigned to a squadron

Started by FastAttack, November 03, 2009, 05:28:18 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: wingnut55 on November 08, 2009, 04:51:16 PM
I suspect hat the GAO will ferret out the charade we present on our actual availability, response, actual Aircraft usage, etc, etc. The response to ELTs has plummeted to dismally low numbers.  Very little recruiting is being done, most of the experienced Pilot's that I know are disillusioned and weary of the constant barrage of regulations and many just eventually drop out

Please make sure to preface comments like these with "In my wing..."

By no means is your assertion universal.

"That Others May Zoom"

DG

Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2009, 08:24:53 PM
I suspect hat the GAO will ferret out the charade we present on our actual availability, response, actual Aircraft usage, etc, etc. The response to ELTs has plummeted to dismally low numbers.  Very little recruiting is being done, most of the experienced Pilot's that I know are disillusioned and weary of the constant barrage of regulations and many just eventually drop out

Easy for you to say, coming as it is, from a Non-Pilot.

That's the sorce of the problem in the first place.

Stick with the cadet program.

sdcapmx

Bottom line in any wing is fly them and keep them.  Leave them sit and lose them.  I would just about bet that a squadron with 20 inactive CAP pilots will not win out over a squadron with 10 active CAP pilots.  There will always be exceptions to the rule i.e. the squadron commander may chose to keep one around his area even if that area is short of active CAP pilots but that's the way it goes.

Fly often and fly safe...

ricecakecm

When I was in CAP and a Wing/DO, I would base airplanes based on several factors:

1.  Do I have an airplane sitting somewhere that isn't being utilized?  If they're all flying to the extent necessary, I'm not moving them just for the sake of moving an airplane.

2.  Number of pilots in the area requesting a plane.

3.  Availability of an instructor/check pilot in that area.  This wasn't a requirement, but made keeping other pilots current much easier

4.  Mission coverage.

5.  Special circumstances.  In one case, I kept a plane where there only a couple of CAP pilots, but the State Director was there and flew about 150 hours a year, so the utilization was appropriate and it kept him happy, which made my life easier.

I had one arrangement where 3 squadrons shared a plane.  Each squadron got it for 2 months at a time.  There was a 6 day "move period" on the last 3 days of the 2nd month and first 3 days of the first month that the plane was expected to be moved.  The move always happened at the 2 month mark, regardless of weather and maintenance downtime during that 2 month period.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: DG on November 14, 2009, 10:01:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2009, 08:24:53 PM

Easy for you to say, coming as it is, from a Non-Pilot.

That's the sorce of the problem in the first place.

Stick with the cadet program.

Ok how about from a CAP pilot:

"Please make sure to preface comments like these with "In my wing..."

By no means is your assertion universal."

DG

Quote from: Amelia Earhart SQ on November 28, 2009, 06:50:19 AM

Ok how about from a CAP pilot:

"Please make sure to preface comments like these with "In my wing..."

By no means is your assertion universal."

Oh, so in your wing you don't have any:

"most of the experienced Pilot's that I know are disillusioned and weary of the constant barrage of regulations."

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I'm sure there are, but slapping down Eclipse with:

"Easy for you to say, coming as it is, from a Non-Pilot.  That's the sorce of the problem in the first place.  Stick with the cadet program."

Just sticks a knife in an open wound... we are all CAP, pilots, non-pilots, cadets, and are supposed to be working together.  Perpetuating the us vs. them routine is counter-productive to CAP's core values of integrity, volunteer service, excellence, and respect.

Let's keep it together.

Gunner C

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spoken like someone who would salute with his palm up.  :D

scooter

Yep, 200 hr per year is the CAP goal. Also, the "aircraft manager" is the "crew chief" in Air Force lingo.