Squadron Cadet Programs Issue

Started by Hill CAP, October 28, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

Hill CAP

Hi All,

I have an issue, I am the Acting Deputy Commander for Cadets as our regular one is out of state on business.

I created a schedule for tonight it was approved by the Unit Commander on Saturday. I was notified last night that our CDI can not be there so I rearranged the schedule to cover his class period, this was also approved by the Squadron Commander.

Our Deputy Commander of Seniors sent an email to the commander at midnight telling him that he needed to brief the cadets on about 9 items pertaining to Glider O-Flights however he is just now re qualifying as a Glider O-Flight Pilot

My issue is not that he wants some time to discuss items with the cadets this time. But with the fact that this seems to be an on going problem that he waits till last minute to tell the commander or just doesn't tell the commander and cuts someone else's class short by jumping in.

This issue is even bugging the regular Deputy Commander of Cadets as he has mentioned it to the Unit Commander and nothing has been done about it.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

EMT-83

Reply to the email that you'll schedule him to address the cadets in two weeks, that's the absolute soonest that you can squeeze him in.

RiverAux

Unless the o-flights are happening before you next meeting, tell him that the schedule has already been set and that he can have time in the next meeting.  If its not somewhat urgent, no need to alter things. 

Although I wouldn't suggest making a big deal of this, when it gets right down to it the deputy commanders are on the same "level" in the organization chart .....

Not sure I would advise putting such a specific issue with your local unit on the board though since you're not anonymous.....

EMT-83

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 28, 2009, 12:19:41 PM
Reply to the email that you'll schedule him to address the cadets in two weeks, that's the absolute soonest that you can squeeze him in. That should give you enough time to adjust the schedule that you've already prepared.

Be constant and don't let him screw up you plans. Sooner or later, he'll catch on.

Sorry for the double post, messed up!

jimmydeanno

Have either of you told him?

Seems to me like this isn't that big of an issue.

Have the adult conversation that needs to be had.  Something along the lines of - "I think this information is important, but to get it on the schedule - we need more notice.  How's next week sound?"

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

hmmm... in the composite (and senior) squadrons that I've seen, the senior member meetings tend to be considerably more fluid and unstructured than the cadet meetings.

The senior member may not realize that the cadet schedule is designed to be more rigid and structured.

I'd suggest a polite E-mail response explaining this, and asking him to give you 1-2 weeks advance notice if he needs time with the cadets.  It's not a problem that he wants to talk to the cadet corps, it's just that he needs to coordinate it ahead of time.

This will probably solve it.  However, if after a polite explanation, it continues to be a problem, then you're the (acting) deputy for cadets, and you can just tell him "no".

Airrace

I would advise talking to him in person. Don't send an e-mail as it may cause more problems in the future. Just explain to him that the schedule has been set and you will put him on the schedule next week or you could allow it to happen just this one time but all other agenda modifications will need to be done one week prior to the set meeting date.