Is it ok to wear Decorations (Via Ranks, Ribbons, Name Plate) on this?

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, October 23, 2009, 03:19:30 AM

Майор Хаткевич

With a unit that has at least one C/Col and at least another C/LtCol, I'm wondering why this isn't answered at the unit.

arajca

I'll add a helpful hint - When asking questions about uniforms, read the reg first. If you can't find it in there or it's not clear to you AND your unit folks can't/won't explain it, ask here and tell us 1. you checked the regs and 2. you asked at your unit.

You'll nip many comments/complaints in the bud by doing so. And increase the respect you get on here.

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on October 23, 2009, 03:05:40 PM
So Cadet Rodriguez, how exactly does one score Model Rocket Sharpshooter?  My Goddard only has a silver star on it... Guess I'm just a Marksman... Unguided model rockets generally being considered an imprecise weapon.

;D

I noticed that a while back, and it's a fault in the rack maker. I emailed the guy who owns it, but haven't heard anything back. It's the one out of somewhere in Europe. It's a great site overall.

[edit] This one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

If you know your way around that site you can still get the correct device attached however.  Number of other issues I have noticed as well.
Mike Johnston

Rodriguez

Quote from: IceNine on October 23, 2009, 05:32:23 PM
Quote from: Rodriguez on October 23, 2009, 01:42:43 PM

With all respect, and I truly do mean that, I believe were a bit to hard on questions like these. Its obvious this is a C/AB were talking to here. At that grade I couldn't quote you on 39-1. I'm actually glad that he came on here and asked about it. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen cadets who would just wear the items in question and ask about them later. Which if your reading this Lunsford, and I hope you are, Is wrong.

Now, I'm in no way, shape or form saying that he shouldn't take a look at the regs before he asks, because he really should. But, instead of implying that a C/AB should "Memorize" the 39-1, we should tell him or her, Hey this is where you can find the info on your uniforms, get familiar with it and if you have questions, ASK before you do. Simple as that.

Just a friendly suggestion.

And there are places that contain a gathering of people usually once a week that are designed with these issues in mind.

There is probably someone there that could actually look at it and make a decision.  Probably someone there that goes by flight commander.

What I meant was that, I'm glad that the cadet didn't just wear the item in question. Ive never seen a C/A1C who can quote all of 39-1. I'm simply saying that we cant expect a junior cadet to know the whole reg. Now, I'm not saying that that is an excuse to just ask someone every time you have a question. Your first step should always be the reg. And as far as me being a flight commander, I rarely get those questions. That job is taken care of by my First Sergeant.

So Cadet Rodriguez, how exactly does one score Model Rocket Sharpshooter?  My Goddard only has a silver star on it... Guess I'm just a Marksman... Unguided model rockets generally being considered an imprecise weapon.

;D

Its obviously a glitch in the ribbon rack, I haven't been able to fix it but I'm getting there. I obviously don't wear it on my ribbons. I wear the star.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Rodriguez on October 26, 2009, 01:30:53 PM
Ive never seen a C/A1C who can quote all of 39-1. I'm simply saying that we cant expect a junior cadet to know the whole reg.

Of course we can't expect ANY member to memorize ALL of ANY reg.   Fortunately, that's why they are in printed form for us to refer to as needed.   I've heard that excuse a lot for why someone was wearing something improperly: "The reg is tooo big!".   Well, I'll bet a lot of money that the section on that item is pretty darn small.

It's a simple concept, really... If you don't know, are unsure, or need to confirm it --- LOOK IT UP.   It really won't hurt, I promise!

But really, no one should need to come to CAPTALK for this...  It should be effectively communicated during Level 1 or a Curry Camp or the like.   

Now if you really tried to find a relevant reg, or maybe are not sure if it exists, then by all means ask away.   The reason this place exists is to share the collective wisdom.    But it gets back to the old "Give a man a fish..." analogy. 

BuckeyeDEJ

;D

That ain't all. There's no such thing as the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on October 26, 2009, 08:05:27 PM

;D

Yes, there is. We're it.

Although our specific name is "Civil Air Patrol", and that is what our tapes are to read.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 26, 2009, 08:16:33 PM

;D

Yes, there is. We're it.

Although our specific name is "Civil Air Patrol", and that is what our tapes are to read.

Hawk, I guess you missed the ICL, we're back to just "Civil Air Patrol."

DC

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on October 27, 2009, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on October 26, 2009, 08:16:33 PM

;D

Yes, there is. We're it.

Hawk, I guess you missed the ICL, we're back to just "Civil Air Patrol."

I guess you didn't read what you quoted. Yes, we use "Civil Air Patrol" on our tapes. The term "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" would now be a generic term differentiating us from other Civil Air Patrols in the world. It's not our official name, and not to be used as such.

Make sense now?

Major Carrales

;D

Ah I see...the United States is imaginary and so is the Civil Air Patrol. 

I can see that this issue refuses to die.  We live in the United States of America and are the Civil Air Patrol...stop reading more into it.

As for Hawk's post, he is correct... there is the Aussie Civil Air Patrol, Britain's Sky Watch Civil Air Patrol, several Latin American Civil Air Patrols that, due to Romance Language semantics, are "PAC" instead of "CAP."

While this concept was embraced by someone, it is none the less true.  The US Civil Air Patrol (as in the Original leader of the "Civil Air Patrol" movement of "Sky Militia," "Volunteer Airmen," "Minutemen of the Air" or what every one may call it) will have to be set aside to differentiate. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Rodriguez

I really dont see the issue here. On the uniform, no we should not have any U.S. Civil Air Patrol on it, thats what the reg says and it should be followed. But its not on my uniform. Also my groups aircraft still says US on it and no one is crying about it.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 23, 2009, 01:55:21 PM
And given his grade of C/A1C, and time in CAP, this is something he should be helping the newer cadets with, not getting help.
Yes. I should be. I went through Uniform Regs while at my Wing Conference just this last weekend (October 23 - 25). That picture was taken before I left for the conference and I had no sleep. I guess I wasn't thinking, I'm sorta embarrassed though  :-[ Thanks for setting me straight. ;)

Wright Brothers #13915

Hawk200

Quote from: Lunsford on October 27, 2009, 04:05:58 PMYes. I should be. I went through Uniform Regs while at my Wing Conference just this last weekend (October 23 - 25). That picture was taken before I left for the conference and I had no sleep. I guess I wasn't thinking, I'm sorta embarrassed though  :-[ Thanks for setting me straight. ;)

There are things we learn as we get older. Many of us have learned the lesson of thinking something over a little more when we're tired. It becomes a little more ingrained as we age.

Keep reading though. A large majority of answers are in the publications. When something is unclear, we tend to argue about on this board.  ;D

Майор Хаткевич

And for the record there are a lot of the unclear areas. One is the graphics that show the proper placement of cadet cloth insignia on BDUs. But that's a whole another topic.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 27, 2009, 04:36:43 PM
And for the record there are a lot of the unclear areas. One is the graphics that show the proper placement of cadet cloth insignia on BDUs. But that's a whole another topic.
I think Medal Insignia for Cadet Officers would be a whole lot better than Cloth, but hey, what can we do about it...  :-\

Wright Brothers #13915

Fuzzy

Quote from: Lunsford on October 27, 2009, 04:44:50 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 27, 2009, 04:36:43 PM
I think Medal Insignia for Cadet Officers would be a whole lot better than Cloth, but hey, what can we do about it...  :-\

You could never mention it again, and hopefully nobody on the uniform board will ever get that same idea.
C/Capt Semko

AirAux

To give you some idea as to how this board works and the need for egos to add nothing infinitum, this cadet's question was fully answered in the first response to it and did not need the additional 35 responses it received.

Hawk200

Quote from: AirAux on October 31, 2009, 08:36:14 PMTo give you some idea as to how this board works and the need for egos to add nothing infinitum, this cadet's question was fully answered in the first response to it and did not need the additional 35 responses it received.

It could also be pointed out that if the cadet's question was answered in the first response, there was no need for you to read further, and that your own post was completely unnecessary and only served your own ego.

Had enough of yourself yet? Or are you looking to annoy more people?