Main Menu

valor awards

Started by RiverAux, October 03, 2009, 04:44:36 PM

RiverAux

As I was recently perusing CAP Times editions from the late 1950s and early 1960s I was somewhat shocked to find that CAP was habitually awarding nearly 200 Distinguished Service Medals and Exceptional Service Awards every year, primarily for valorous performances during missions.  Unlike today where those particular awards are specifically for administrative-type actions, the language describing their purpose did include mission-related performance at the time and this language was apparently retained for some time even after the creation of the Medal of Valor in the late 1950s. 

Now, I didn't see a whole lot of explanations behind these awards, so its not clear to me whether so many awards were given out because the bar really wasn't that high or whether we really were doing more dangerous missions, but I suspect that it was the former.

It did occur to me that I really can't think of many situations that a CAP member could face while on CAP duty where they could legitimately earn one of the two valor awards that we now have (Silver and Bronze Medal of Valor) that probably wouldn't be a violation of some safety regulation or policy. 

For example, an aircrew that braved particularly dangerous weather to carry out a SAR mission would probably get their 101s yanked instead of getting a valor award. 

A ground team member who crawled in a burning aircraft to rescue a passenger and ended up dying probably wouldn't receive the Silver Medal of Valor, but most likely would be featured in the next mandatory safety video as an example of what not to do. 

Beyond the relatively low dangers associated with flying, driving, and walking through the woods, I think there are very few situations where a CAP member is really going to be in place where there would be "danger to self is probable or known" or "at the risk of life, above and beyond the call of normal duty." 

Perhaps this is why it seems that so many of these awards are given lately for actions CAP members did while not actually on CAP duty. 

Am I just being too paranoid about the "safety culture" trumping the urges of CAP members to help others, even at risk to themselves? 

What are some legitimate situations where a CAP member could earn a Valor award on CAP duty without leaving themselves open to being a "bad safety example"?

Eclipse

ORM doesn't mean the absence of risk, only the management of those risks which are known to reduce the possibility of avoidable injury or damage to property.

The risk tolerance goes up as the real-world nature and potential return on that risk increases.

Our rules don't prohibit being involved in emergency situations where life is at risk, nor do they prevent the situational cascade failures that occur when people involve themselves in complex activities that include machinery and disaster areas.

FWIW, I am not a proponent of giving CAP decs to members for service outside CAP, especially if they were a part of participation with some other structured organization that presents its own awards, but for whatever reason I have found myself in the minority on this when the discussions have arisen locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2009, 04:56:37 PMFWIW, I am not a proponent of giving CAP decs to members for service outside CAP, especially if they were a part of participation with some other structured organization that presents its own awards, but for whatever reason I have found myself in the minority on this when the discussions have arisen locally.

If it's a case of some guy or gal is driving home, and and stops to pull someone out of a burning vehicle, they've earned a medal.

If it's a paramedic, or firefighter does the same thing on the clock as part of their duties, I don't think they should be getting a medal from us for it. Firefighter, paramedic or cop that's off-the-clock at the time of the action? Write it up.

I think restricting Valor medals to "only on CAP time" is a pretty lame way to avoid paperwork.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on October 03, 2009, 04:44:36 PMWhat are some legitimate situations where a CAP member could earn a Valor award on CAP duty without leaving themselves open to being a "bad safety example"?

None.

One of the reasons why we give valor medals in the first place is that the individual through personal safety out the window to accomplish the deed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cecil DP

The abundance of DSM's and ESA's in the 50's and early 60's was because they were the only awards available. The Medals of Valor and MSA didn't come in until the 60's. I know two members who were awarded MSA's for heroism, because there wasn't a Medal of Valor at the time. As for making valor awards for actions when not on CAP duty , that's when most of them occur. You know the Air Force, Army, and Navy don't bother to check if you're on leave or pass before evaluating the award of their various non-combat awards for heroism. They only look at the circumstances and the degree of danger.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Sorry, but your memory is faulty.  It was established in 1957 and first awarded in 1959.  They continued to award nearly 200 DSMS and ESAs each year until at least 1964 (when the CAP Times I was reading ended).

Eclipse

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 03, 2009, 08:35:43 PMYou know the Air Force, Army, and Navy don't bother to check if you're on leave or pass before evaluating the award of their various non-combat awards for heroism. They only look at the circumstances and the degree of danger.

When you're in the military, especially active duty, they own you 24x7.

Not so in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

I have been doing some research on this for the past year or so and I have found that there was a reason behind the continuation and presentation.

When the medals of valor was split and they created two they also created alot of confusion. The DSM had previously been used for acts of heroism and part of that mentality was still in the system. The approving authority for these was different and sometimes confusing.

They continued the presentation of the ESA, MSA and such for valor because many did not know any better at the time. There systems were not quite as far reaching as ours. There was alot more ambiguity in the system than there is now.

The ESA, MSA's and such were also approved at different levels and did not have to go through the same approval as they do now. I havent seen one of the writeups for them but in my conversations with some folks that had been in for 50+ that was the general reasoning. Seems logical to me.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

RiverAux

That makes sense to me.  Especially since it wasn't that long ago that regulation updates went out in the mail once a year, so implementing any changes would have taken longer back then. 

That still doesn't account for why there were so many herorism awards back then. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: RiverAux on October 03, 2009, 11:02:15 PM
That makes sense to me.  Especially since it wasn't that long ago that regulation updates went out in the mail once a year, so implementing any changes would have taken longer back then. 

That still doesn't account for why there were so many herorism awards back then. 

Maybe because people actually bothered to write them up. Too often somebody does extrodinary things in CAP and are not rewarded because everyone belives (erroneously) that it's someone elses job to write the CAPF 120. A friend of mine 20 years ago, let her membership lapse after having achieved the GRW and the grade of LTC, because "No one ever said thank you." If you see someone doing things above and beyond, recognize them, let them know it's appreciated. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

I would agree that despite our extensive awards program, we probably don't do as good a job as we should, but I don't think we're failing to reward genuine acts of heroism by our members when they're on CAP duty. 

The one gap we've got in our award system is some sort of award to recognize exceptional reactions to some sort of danger that you didn't plan to put yourself in (which seems to be a pre-requisite for the MoV).  For example, safely managing to land an aircraft in a field after losing all power.  The best you could do for somebody that demonstrated that high level of skill is a Commanders Commendation, which I feel is inadequate. 

I've mentioned before that there are several AF awards that can be earned by civilians that would be appropriate to award to CAP members in certain situations along these lines. 

I'm sure we probably overlook hundreds of acts of non-CAP related heroism acts every year because the people that do them might never tell anyone in CAP about that action. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 03, 2009, 11:20:25 PMThe best you could do for somebody that demonstrated that high level of skill is a Commanders Commendation

How do you figure?

They give out MSA's and higher for keeping property records straight...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I suppose you're right that you could probably get heroism recognized with a MSA, but the language associated with it is so similar to that of the other admin awards (DSM,ESA) that it doesn't seem like they really intended it to be used for that purpose. 

However, I think any heroism award should rank higher than the admin awards and even the ESA is insufficient in my book. 

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on October 03, 2009, 11:20:25 PM
I would agree that despite our extensive awards program, we probably don't do as good a job as we should, but I don't think we're failing to reward genuine acts of heroism by our members when they're on CAP duty. 

The one gap we've got in our award system is some sort of award to recognize exceptional reactions to some sort of danger that you didn't plan to put yourself in (which seems to be a pre-requisite for the MoV).  For example, safely managing to land an aircraft in a field after losing all power.  The best you could do for somebody that demonstrated that high level of skill is a Commanders Commendation, which I feel is inadequate. 

I've mentioned before that there are several AF awards that can be earned by civilians that would be appropriate to award to CAP members in certain situations along these lines. 

I'm sure we probably overlook hundreds of acts of non-CAP related heroism acts every year because the people that do them might never tell anyone in CAP about that action.

There are people out there that deserve to be recognized by their peers. The problem is writing them up and the misunderstanding about who can write the award up. If you feel like it is deserving for them write them up yourself. The worst that could happen is they downgrade it to something else. It is always worth the effort to recognize individual accomplishment.

I do not feel that it is the "fault" of our awards system. I think that falls on the individuals involved. Those who have knowledge are the ones who should recognize that. The issue that we have come across lately is that our previous NC handed out high level stuff to friends for no real work. I am sure that most were deserved but others were bogus and that hurt "the entire system" and made it harder for people to "qualify" for the awards.

Overall I feel the system is effective.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

m981

To Riveraux, Check out CAPR 62-1 (safety), P.4  for the distinguished aviator award. This covers unexpected dangers in flight. We have a pilot up for it, due to cool, timely handling of a bird strike.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

RiverAux

Well, that is interesting.  This seems like an award that should be in the award regulation and include a ribbon rather than being hidden in the safety regulation. 

Nolan Teel

Quote from: m981 on October 04, 2009, 12:49:55 PM
To Riveraux, Check out CAPR 62-1 (safety), P.4  for the distinguished aviator award. This covers unexpected dangers in flight. We have a pilot up for it, due to cool, timely handling of a bird strike.

I hope your pilot gets the award.  Here in Texas paperwork always seems to get lost at Wing, no matter how many times you send in the CAPF 120.

Cecil DP

Several years ago, Col Matt Sharkey of SER, proposed and I thought NEC approved it, a DFC and Air Medal tyoes of awards.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85